medium light action rods

Weeds

Howdy all, season greetings, Happy happy, etc, etc....

I recently picked myself up a 7 foot medium light St. Croix spinning rod. In recent years I've done very little fishing with a spinning outfit. A few years back I purchased a MH baitcasting set up and ever since it seems to have been almost something of an arms race; as I developed a real love of musky fishing the rods just got bigger and heavier, even when fishing for bass. So this something of a return to the beginning for me. I had planned on using this rod fishing for bass and panfish, chucking absolutley everything that seemed a little light for the MH baitcaster, things like tubes, unweighted senkos and plastics (I have really no experience with any of them) tiny crankbaits and small inline spinners. Is this rod to light for such applications? Anybody else using a medium light spinning rod these days? The current trend definately is for Medium heavy and Heavy baitcasting sticks and I feel that these rods really might be limiting/eliminating the use of alot of effective lures. I'd also appreciate it if anyone could recommend a good spinning reel keeping in mind that this outfit is geared towards light line and lures. Thanks, Ross

I use a6.5 ft. StCroix rod like yours for unweighted Senko's year round, for stocked trout in ponds, and for Crappie in the Spring.

Last summer I used it for drop-shotting, but recently I bought a slightly longer rod for that technique.

For lakes and rivers up here, I use a Shimano 6' 6" FX series medium action rod with a Shimano R4000 spinning reel combo and love it..... the R4000 comes with a big spool that can hold a lot of line and like the quick trigger mechanism..... not the most expensive but for the buck, can't complain.

It's good enough for the type of fishing I do. Where it be bass or pike, the rod and reel combo feels balanced and not too tirering casting crankbaits and spinnerbaits all day :D

It's also a great combo jigging for walleyes.... I have tw0 of them and rigged them with 20Lbs Power Pro and simply love it.

Hope this helps making your choice

Jacques aka Leechman

Bought the same rod last spring to fish bass and trout in the Grand and love it. Works well for small in-lines and unweighted plastics. Currently i have it paired up with a middle of the line abu garcia reel and that has worked well, but the reel has taken a pounding over the last couple years and i plan on upgrading that to a diawa exceler real for next season. I've heard nothing but good things about that reel.

I use4 different rods for ultra-light finnese fishing,mostly for jiggin & dropshotting !!!!

6.6ft fenwick hmg,awesome rod for jigging

7ft compre shimano for small bucktails

6.6ft fenwick hmx walleye series rod, for lindy rigging,or jigging

7ft st.croix avid ipc rod for small cranks or drifting,jigging

they are all either ul,or medium light, and i usually use 6lb florocarbon on them,and they are all soooo sensitive,if you want to get a few ultrlights dont skimp out on quality get a good rod and yes you will pay more,but for finnesse fishing man they are so light,it really does make a difference,and oh ya go for 1 pc rods, its like night & day !!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

i have a 7' ML st. croix as well. mostly use it in the spring for walleye jiggn, lake trout long lining and would use it for smallies if i ever fished for them. ideal setup for small inlines, jigs, tubes, unweighted plastics (provided you aren't fishing in heavy cover).

i have it with a 2000 series daiwa and 6-8lb mono.

Edited by Raf

i got a medium light fast action shimano rod. its nice and light and really sensitive. i've used it from speck fishing, smallie fishing and i've even gone pike fishing with it and caught a 15lb with the rod. its sooo much fun compared to the bigger rods, i just started using it all the time, it seems to give the fish more of a chance only using 8 or 10lb mono then the ultra braid lines. try catching kings on that setup hahaha!!

I have an ultra light I used for catching minnows for bait, everything else, spinning or bait casting is at least a medium action. 10 pound test is light line for me though, 8 pound test very light, and 6 pound test is usually what I used for catching bait, bigger line wouldn`t fit through the hook eye.

I used lighter rods long ago, just rather play with the fish in the live well.