NF Deer Organs

chilli

I know you should not consume any spinal tissue or brains from cervids but is it normal to eat the heart, liver or kidney's?

I left mine in the field from my first deer but returned 2 days later and collected them for the local cat rescue. Would it be more ethical to eat them or is it normal to leave them for the coyotes.

Yes two days. It took 4 for the coyotes to find the remains. They were cleaned up in one sitting and they didn't take the bloody cotton gloves :rolleyes:

We have a long standing tradition of eating the heart and liver. We use my brothers mother in law's recipe. There was some stuff I read years ago about high Cadmium levels in some deers liver. But I think were safe with our deer down here as they eat a lot of crops and less "natural" food.

in the days of my youth , liver and heart were fried immediately after the deer was brought to our small community.

a choice few brought beers and toasted the savvy hunter as we enjoyed those delicasees cooked on a woodstove .

not so common-place these days. we did eat the heart of the doe i harvested this year . great stuff.

many livestock spend extended periods in the fields, away from the farm, eating and drinking naturally-occurring

sustinance , deer are doing the same. tough call .

just like the consumption of fish on some BOW's regulating the eating of your deers organs might be a good idea according to the mnr . i still enjoy it ,, just not as often .

Edited by waterwolf

You knew that Dan (KF) :lol:

Hopefully I can harvest the Oysters for you before the 31st. If I do, they're all yours :D

So from what I'm reading, perhaps I should call the OMNR for advice about eating deer organs from the area. but based on a moral call, it goes without saying. This will be tough for me because I don't wish to waste anything I don't have to. I asked for a the scraps back from the butcher and am trying to figure out what to do with the feet and bones out in my shed.

I have eaten the liver of deer many times, but in moderation(split between 3 guys, once a month at best), but never the heart. We were warned not to eat deer heart at all.

Moose hearts I have kept(my buds do not want them, but another bud of mine's grandfather loves them, knows how to cook them, so I kept them for him).

Moose liver we keep, but still eat it in moderation.

Has anyone ever tried moose tongue, heard snippets about it being quite tasty, but none of us have ever tried it???

One time, we were dressing out a deer at a buds place, and a guy of east orient persuation walked up to us, and wanted the feet. Now, I know that pig's feet, and the feet of other hooved animals are quite a delicacy in some cultures, but we declined to give them to him. He even offered to buy them from us, but it is not legal to sell animal parts, and we did not think that hooves from a whitetail would yield much gelatin to make it worth his while. But, we could be wrong about that.

One of my moose hunting buds keeps certain bones for boiling out the marrow for soup, but I have never sampled it myself. And I cannot remember which ones he kept for the pot.

I have eaten venison heart and liver for at least 40 years now and I'm..... (Ok probably not a good example) but I love it and it can't be any worse for you than commercially raised live stock organs that have been pumped full of hormones and stuff.

I think it's a personal choice, if you tasted deer heart and liver before and like it, then keep it. If you don't like it and know someone that does, give it to them. For me, I don't keep the heart but liver is the first thing we eat for breakfast when an animal is harvested.

It also depends where the deer was shot. Most of the deer I shot was throught the heart and liver and we certainly didn't keep them.

Jacques

I used a bow. There was a small slice off the heart and both lungs were deflated. There was basically an open cavity full of blood when I got there with a triangular hole on either side.

Thank you for your advice guys. Next deer I'm definitely try the organs. If I'm not too thrilled, I'll send them with the rest of the deer to go in the sausage. That's my favorite part so far :P . Boy I gotta watch I don't eat all this by months end. I noticed I smell different the next day too :unsure: . Whew I love venison but the wife sure doesn't :lol: