How do you bring fishing stuff?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How do you bring fishing stuff?

• Chest pack - Front load Type
    • Chest pack - 50/50 Distribution Type
    • Fanny pack around waist
    • Full backpack Type
    • Fishing Vest

I wear a vest because I always have, find it handy for cellphone, cigars & lighter, forceps, scissors and hook eye cleaner. Everything else goes in to a shoulder bag. Started using the shoulder bag a few years ago after I found that there wasn't enough room in the vest for all the fly boxes I wanted to bring along. It also has a couple of pockets for tapered leaders, leader & tippet material. It will also hold a bottle of water or a small thermos in the colder weather. I find it handy when I find a decent area to fish I can drop the bag somewhere I can keep an eye on it and wade or walk and fish without a lot of weight.

I either carry along a plastic case if im walking around(short distance), use backpack when im goin on long walking trips. Or for instance if im going out in the boat i may only use what is tied onto my rods. Im looking to get a tackle bag with a shoulder strap that comes with some plastic cases...

with the same amoutn of stuff to be carred, what I have noticed is that front-type chest pack

hurts my neck and back since the weight pulls forward whereas the 50/50 distribution type of chest pack allows

front/back counter balances each other.

(that is why i LOVE my 50/50 chest pack)

Started looking into fanny pack because of the hard warmer issue I mentioned and wonder

if the weight is going to tire your body in a whole new different way

gave up on fishing vest b/c it gets soaked in the rain unless I get myself a G3 vest ..

For wading I use an old army shoulder bag of heavy canvas. It hangs at the back while I'm fishing and if the water gets too deep I can shorten the strap so it tucks right up under my armpit. In it I have a waterproof box (with my licence, car key and a lighter for those cigar days on the water), a plastic tray with all the lures, hooks, lead and leaders I expect to need, plus a pair of gloves for when the weather's cold. I also carry a longer pair of pliers for those times when the fish inhales the lure. For normal extractions and line cutting I just hang a short hemostat and a nail clipper (or small scissors if I'm using braid) on a neck lanyard. My camera hangs on another lanyard down the bib of my waders.

I'm trying to switch over to a vest but I just keep going back to the bag. I've been looking at a Flambeau (I think) bag at CTC for $19.95 which is kinda hokey looking but has two trays and a smaller plastic pack included plus a round pocket for a spare fly spool or leader spool. Looks to me like it would work pretty well on the river.

JF

I wear a coat with lots of pockets.. I assume you mean for steelheading

I am with Rick on this one...I go steelheading all winter long...super cold days...lots of layers of clothes..so I just fill all my pockets :lol: ..if I wear a denim shirt, fill those pockets with cell phne, smokes, camera whatever...then wear a lumber jacket over that, fill those pockets with what couldn't go in my shirt...like wallet or whatever, then my winter jacket or floater coat, fill those pockets with gloves, touque whatever, and then still wind up carrying all my stuff in a tackle bag :P:Gonefishing: