Got out on the bay finnaly!!!!

duber

Well I finally got out.I couldn't get out till I booted the kids on the bus (9:00 am) and I had to be heading to work by 3:00 pm so I wasn't expecting much in the way of action , I just wanted to get out there.Hit the ice just before 11:00 am drilled the first hole out about 50 yards , 5 inches , drilled the next hole out 100 yards , 6 inches ,drilled the next holes were I was going to fish , 5 inches.Ice was cracking like crazy but was pretty safe were I was.Got the vex out and marked 19 feet of water and soft bottom.Stuck the camera down the hole and to my suprise there was no perch :blink: .I have fished this spot alot and there is always perch there but not yesterday.Fished for a hour and saw nothing but did mark a couple suspended fish but that was it.So I moved in to 17 feet of water and still nothing.Then I moved in to 14 feet of water and still no perch.I was runing out of time so that was my last move.I was just going to pack it in when I noticed the camera move.Then I saw her come in and miss my spoon then she was gone.I started to make my spoon dance and she came back and just inhaled my spoon.She was 6 pounds 31 inches and the spoon was right down in her gills so its pike for lunch today :thumbsup_anim: .

Heres a couple pics

224799217.jpg

She sure weren't pretty.Been hooked before for sure.

224799210.jpg

Sure was good to get out.

Nice fish. Nothing like a tasty ice pike. I can't wait to get one of my own and try out that five fillet method.

As for the jaw damage, that's why I went barbless last year, to avoid the uneccesary damage. Now even the deep hooked fish are a breeze to unhook and release fast with minimal injury to the fish.

Thanks for the replies.She was ugly but very tasty.

With the cold weather thats forcast , the bay should be a go this weeend but the high current areas will still be a bit scary.The current in the bay this year is real bad.Anybody coming to the bay should use caution and stay away from those areas.I'm sure Ron and Sam will have some up to date reports for everyone.

Good luck to all who go out on the hardwater this weekend.I'll be out on the bay Saturday and Sunday.

TTFN

Wes