Arctic Armour

Sinker

Anyone here have one of these rigs?

http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php

Check out the vid......

I think they look like the cats :asshat: . I would like to have one in my hand before I bought one though. I need a new camo float suit. I don't like the new ones mustang makes, so I'm looking at options. I'd use it for mainly hunting in the fall/early winter.

Arctic armour seems like the way to go......I just wonder how tough they are?

Thoughts?

Sinker

My only concern would be whether or not the suit has Transport Canada approval. I know 2 guys who got fines last year because they had unapproved survival suits on and no life jackets in the boat.

my floater coat (Mustang) is camo..it says right inside on a label that it is NOT Canadian Coast Guard approved as it does not meet the colour requirements. I have to make sure I always throw a lifejacket for myself in the boat when I go out..it's basically the same as any orange Mustang but not "approved"

Hey Sinker,

I'm going to try one on this weekend. Will let you know how it is.

Will you do a favour and jump in the lake with it? :lol:

Q&A from videos:

Cost: $300 US.....said about a top and bottom I think.

Approved?: nope.....you need to have an approved flotation device on hand

Will it replace a boat?: Get a large friend....with one of those suits he will be able to hold 2 extra people. :P

One piece?: only 2 piece were shown in the videos and on the website

Will you get wet if submerged?: yes

forrest

my floater coat (Mustang) is camo..it says right inside on a label that it is NOT Canadian Coast Guard approved as it does not meet the colour requirements. I have to make sure I always throw a lifejacket for myself in the boat when I go out..it's basically the same as any orange Mustang but not "approved"

That's interesting Jack, that floater suits have to be certain colours to be approved by CCG, yet basically any colour is acceptable for a PFD, although bright colours are highly recommended.

That's interesting Jack, that floater suits have to be certain colours to be approved by CCG, yet basically any colour is acceptable for a PFD, although bright colours are highly recommended.

as far as I know they have to have a ceratin percentage of orange,yellow or red to be approved..my floater is in the van from yesterday and my wife has it at work or I would take a pic and post what it says on the inside label....I will do it after :Gonefishing:

as far as I know they have to have a ceratin percentage of orange,yellow or red to be approved..my floater is in the van from yesterday and my wife has it at work or I would take a pic and post what it says on the inside label....I will do it after :Gonefishing:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/..._words.htm#LJ05

PFDs do not require yellow, red or orange....life jackets do. PFDs are good for recreational boating only....that means fishing too I am guessing.

Doesn't matter though....if there is no label there is no label.

forrest

I have the arctic armour suit thank god i haven't tried out the flotation yet but it is deffinetley warm i ussually end up taking the coat off unless the wind is really howling. $299.00 us. i got mine at Walleyedans.com

I got the Arctic Armor gloves, they are fantastic. I know Grimsby Tackle were selling the float suits at one point, or he'll at least order them for ya. The owner there said they are great float suits, he bought one himself.

Edited by Hooked

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/..._words.htm#LJ05

PFDs do not require yellow, red or orange....life jackets do. PFDs are good for recreational boating only....that means fishing too I am guessing.

Doesn't matter though....if there is no label there is no label.

forrest

you might think that..but....if that was the case why is it that the pretty much exact same floater jacket just a different colour..one being orange and one being camo..one is not approved as a floatation device and the other is????? there is no difference in floatation in either of them the only difference is the colour, they both serve the same practical function :Gonefishing:

I have the one piece camo mustang suit. Its not approved, but I don't really care. I always have proper vests in the boat anyways. All I'm concerned with is falling in and not sinking, and warmth. I've had my mustang for about 10-12 years now, and I don't think it would float as well as it should. This suit looks like a great alternative. I'd be using it for hunting ducks mainly, but if I like it better than my HH floater I use for icefishing, I'd use it for everything.

Steel28, please let me know what you think!!!!

Sinker