Who Eats Carp

Clampet

Obviously, there is a tradition among certain countries to eat carp, especially as seasonal meals. What gets me, though, is this: Canada is made up of all races of people and people of every background fish in Ontario. Of all the people listed who eat carp, ie, Polish, Russians, Japanese just to name a few, I have never seen these people catch and keep carp in Ontario. I've seen them catch and keep lots of bass, pike, trout, well.. anything except carp. Basically, from my lifetime experience of fishing around Ontario with people from all over the world I gotta say that even the people that supposedly love carp seem to target and take just about any species they can get before they will take a carp. Perhaps in their homelands carp is all they can get, I mean, they breed so fast and take little to no effort to catch, so why wouldn't they eat them if that's the easiest fish to find. But given any other options, from my own personal experience, I think said people would gladly take anything over a carp... given the option. With so many great tasting fish to choose from in Ontario there's no wonder there are huge numbers of carp and next to no fishermen eating them. Just my opinion.

Obviously, there is a tradition among certain countries to eat carp, especially as seasonal meals. What gets me, though, is this: Canada is made up of all races of people and people of every background fish in Ontario. Of all the people listed who eat carp, ie, Polish, Russians, Japanese just to name a few, I have never seen these people catch and keep carp in Ontario. I've seen them catch and keep lots of bass, pike, trout, well.. anything except carp. Basically, from my lifetime experience of fishing around Ontario with people from all over the world I gotta say that even the people that supposedly love carp seem to target and take just about any species they can get before they will take a carp. Perhaps in their homelands carp is all they can get, I mean, they breed so fast and take little to no effort to catch, so why wouldn't they eat them if that's the easiest fish to find. But given any other options, from my own personal experience, I think said people would gladly take anything over a carp... given the option. With so many great tasting fish to choose from in Ontario there's no wonder there are huge numbers of carp and next to no fishermen eating them. Just my opinion.

I think this has a lot to do with angling methods. Perhaps carp are difficult to be had on conventional tackle, as opposed to say bass or pike.

Just MHO. The slavs at our end catch em and eat em all the time.. I've actually seen em camp out at the mouth of the Humber and have little slav shin-digs..

HD

You've offended me so many times in that paragraph I dare not reply with my opinion.

Though I can tell you I've seen many people catch, keep and eat carp. I can't tell you what race they were a part of, I don't often pay attention to that type of stuff.

Edited by Rich

Great thread. To me, really not a critter or fish that can't be eaten. I've had lots of fish and critters that weren't supposed to be good.

Recall years back at a holiday party deal with a fellow fishing guide (65 years my senior at the time ... great guy) ... buncha great food there - recall that two things I liked especially - found out later: racoon & beaver

Pete

I know of a lot of Europeans who catch and keep carp along with perch, pike and walleye. All of these species exist in central and Northern Europe.

For my grandparents, coming to Ontario was like never leaving home.

Edited by bigugli

Just amazing how many poo-poo the eating of certain species, but I'll bet dollars to donuts, most of those naysayers have crammed their guts full of crap from the Church of the Red Haired Clown along with an unhealthy helping of Col Sanders greasy buzzard, topped off with a deserts that are made of ingredients that the average Joe can't pronounce or even have an infintessimal idea of what it is. How about a helping of GMF which are widespread, not enough, have some more hormone laced beef or pig. Why is it that lobsters and crab are priced beyond the average persons budget, but 50 years ago, only the poor would eat it 'cause it was considered garbage. How about escargot's, (snails), bottom eaters where the turds lay. Hmmm, just add a bit of garlic butter. Hipocrites. :whistling:

Forgot to include, what do trout eat, flies and bugs, lets just eliminate the middle digester and eat flies.

Edited by Fisherman

I would prefer eating carp rather than swallow the garbage you just spewed out here.

cant say that i have ate carp but i was at my uncles in manitoba and he made us some " salmon" sandwiches and they were great .. Then after we were done he told us it was really sucker ... So sucker was good and i dont see why they would taste any different than carp

I would prefer eating carp rather than swallow the garbage you just spewed out here.

I have absolutely no idea how ppl take offense to what I wrote. Are you offended that I am saying that given the choice, most ppl seem to prefer to eat fish other than carp? Or are you offended that I made it sound like carp aren't hard to catch..? Read the whole thread. If you are seeing racism in my post, you need to read it again. I'm not making racist statements at all. Lots of the responses in this thread name people of different countries liking to eat carp.. and I said that I have not seen this in my Ontario fishing. I have fished with ppl of all different backgrounds, some of which were listed as countries where carp are popular dishes, and have yet to see someone keep a carp for food. I'm sure it happens though. PLease don't read into what isn't there. In my experience, I can't say I've ever seen someone target carp for food over other species in the same spot. Target carp, yes. But not for food. Does it happen ever? Of course, but not that I've seen.

I have absolutely no idea how ppl take offense to what I wrote. Are you offended that I am saying that given the choice, most ppl seem to prefer to eat fish other than carp? Or are you offended that I made it sound like carp aren't hard to catch..? Read the whole thread. If you are seeing racism in my post, you need to read it again. I'm not making racist statements at all. Lots of the responses in this thread name people of different countries liking to eat carp.. and I said that I have not seen this in my Ontario fishing. I have fished with ppl of all different backgrounds, some of which were listed as countries where carp are popular dishes, and have yet to see someone keep a carp for food. I'm sure it happens though. PLease don't read into what isn't there. In my experience, I can't say I've ever seen someone target carp for food over other species in the same spot. Target carp, yes. But not for food. Does it happen ever? Of course, but not that I've seen.

I thought Id look up the word Racism and found nothing here that would put you in that Category. Just oversensitive new Canadians I suspect, trying to cause problems again. Don't know why they would feel so inferior, Papa told me Jews considered carp a delicacy. Im sure someone will find that offensive too.

RACISM

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races

Recall years back at a holiday party deal with a fellow fishing guide (65 years my senior at the time ... great guy) ... buncha great food there - recall that two things I liked especially - found out later: racoon & beaver

Pete

Well i guess I'll say it

Who doesn't like a little beaver now and again :whistling:

Edited by rickster

I did not use the word racist. You did and if the shoe fits wear it. Do you seriously expect me to believe that you have never seen anyone target carp and take some for eating? Where have you done most of your fishing Inuvik ?Do you fish with your eyes closed? You did not say " I am saying that given the choice, most ppl seem to prefer to eat fish other than carp? " You said "Of all the people listed who eat carp, ie, Polish, Russians, Japanese just to name a few, I have never seen these people catch and keep carp in Ontario." As to carp being easy to catch. Yes they can be, they can also be tough to catch just like any other fish.

Like I said "garbage."