ice fishing

Hawg Hunter

hands down ,, no question!! PIKE. something that gets that big ,, fights that hard , and then when all the excitement's over , these fish are ruggedly beautiful. they make for great photos also , if you're on a lake with a decent population , winter pike are damn tasty.

Thank you!! Very helpful. 60 feet iwth a drop-off to deeper water or shallower....or is the point just to get vertical structure for them to associate wtih?

If you're serious about coming up -- lets stay in touch over the winter

You got it, Cram...the drop off can be close to either deep or shallow...the important thing is a major depth change. My ideal kind of spot is a point ,whether it's an island or from shore, that drops quickly...then you can pop a string of holes going out from shore, covering that drop.

And yes, I'd love to come up if we can organize it :) I'm only a pm away :)

Whities first

Crappies second

Perch third( during the late ice).

Pickeral,when I can get them.

If they would open the herring season on Simcoe,that would be my number one.

When the herring season was open, what did you do with them? Are they edible? One of the smaller lakes I fish up north has a pretty good population, but I don't know what to do with 'em ,'cept let 'em go.

When the herring season was open, what did you do with them? Are they edible? One of the smaller lakes I fish up north has a pretty good population, but I don't know what to do with 'em ,'cept let 'em go.

Smoke them(in a smoker) kinda hard to light.LOL

I would usually just scale them,split in half and add smoke flavor and salt and pepper and put under the broiler.

They are oily,but very tastey.

I remember the days when we would head out and start jigg,n, could just barely see the flash from the lure. Would get a bump,start to bring the lure up slowly and there would be 50 or so swimming around. The kids had a blast.

Well.. this will be my first winter ever ice fishing (Just started fishing this summer).

I've never cleaned a fish, but I'm definitely tempted to pull out some nice jumbos from simcoe and try cleaning them up for some tasty fish & chips. Other than that, I'd probably target pike.

We'll see if I can take the cold lol.

Not here. Very nice white clean meat. Yes they call them cisco, along as blue and black backs.

Also called tullibees in some areas. I've only seen them in Simcoe and only ever heard of them referred to as herring there.

I never knew they were also called Tullibies....interesting. So, I either have to find a way to smoke 'em, or try a bit of gator pike action in the spring with 'em. Thanks for the info :) I don't think they'll become my favourite species through the ice...but...you never know...