Eating Bay of Quinte Wally

Fish Farmer

It happens in all creatures wild and domestic. You should see some of the growths or tumors found on livestock during the inspection process. I worked a year at the old cattle yard in T.O. when I dropped out of high school. Blleccch!

Edited by bigugli

Hehe you guys are blowing things way out of proportion, that's a common viral infection called Lymphocystis.

Those growths have nothing to do with 'pollution' and are quite common in several species of fish and further are perfectly safe to eat (if you can get past the looks of it)

Here is a detailed explanation in PDF format for those interested.

http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/livingw...tumors_fish.pdf

Tony

Bitme

The MNR and Bios. know all about it. Thats why they warn people not to eat the Walleye from there. I've talked to the Biologist, they wouldn't eat a fish from L.Ont. This was only a 3LB. fish. They tell you not to eat anything over 24".

The Bio's recommendation is more likely related to bio-accumulation of toxins that are present in the Great Lakes, and all bodies of water really, including the ocean.

Refer to your guide to safe eating if you're really worried. Then again, when was the last time you checked your guide to safe eating for poultry, chicken, beef, farm raised fish, etc....(is there even one? or better to not know?)

Wild meats are not 'enhanced' like all the other meats are, just remember that. :clapping:

Then again, when was the last time you checked your guide to safe eating for poultry, chicken, beef, farm raised fish, etc....(is there even one? or better to not know?)

Thanks Tony,

I just took a steak out of the freezer :D

Maybe I'll just eat Carrots tonight for supper

mmm Steak...I just had one last night, there is no avoiding contaminants today, just a part of life. Long live Cancer! :wallbash:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/food/beef/

Yes there are alternative growers you can rely on, had a Angus steak this weekend free of injections and raised on good food. Well the natural BBQ smoke did not make it the healthiest but whachagonna do?

Hehe you guys are blowing things way out of proportion, that's a common viral infection called Lymphocystis.

Tony

Also called Lymphosarcoma, apparently affects esox and walleye in cold waters. The flesh doesn't get contaminated.

Pretty ugly i would not eat the fish however.

Was all over fall Kawartha muskies i caught 10 - 15 yrs. ago haven't seen it there recently.

Those growths have nothing to do with 'pollution' and are quite common in several species of fish and further are perfectly safe to eat (if you can get past the looks of it)

Here is a detailed explanation in PDF format for those interested.

http://srd.alberta.ca/fishwildlife/livingw...tumors_fish.pdf

Tony

NOPE ! i DO NOT eat stuff with an infection that looks like that nor "sounds" like that name.. :blink:

AAAACKKKKK... :o

When you think about it, Lake Ontario is the catch basin for all the other great lakes. All the toxic runoff, human waste and stuff we don't even know about from all the major cities (Can and US) end up in Lake Ontario. Sure, some of it is treated, if it's not raining. Tons and Tons of raw crap end up in Lake O on a regular basis, along with the many toxic chemicals you can't see.

Would I eat any fish from Lake Ontario (warts or not)? Not a chance.

When you think about it, Lake Ontario is the catch basin for all the other great lakes. All the toxic runoff, human waste and stuff we don't even know about from all the major cities (Can and US) end up in Lake Ontario. Sure, some of it is treated, if it's not raining. Tons and Tons of raw crap end up in Lake O on a regular basis, along with the many toxic chemicals you can't see.

Would I eat any fish from Lake Ontario (warts or not)? Not a chance.

...and then all that polluted water goes where?

Everything in our environment is connected, think about it.