Annual Upper Niagara Musky G2G

lew

Howdy folks

About 6 weeks ago I posted a message about our annual OFC musky G2G on the Upper Niagara River and alot of you showed an interest in joining us. This will be the 4th year for it and hopefully we can get a good turnout.

It's gonna be on Saturday, December 13th

We normally launch at the Niagara Parks Marina but it's evidentely not open any more in the winter months so were gonna go just a bit further east and use the ramp at Frenchmens Creek. It's not as good a ramp but we've used it before when the marina was frozen over and it's worked out just fine.

We'll launch at 8:00 AM and then all meet up back at the ramp at 4:00 PM and that'll give everyone a chance to load their boats before it gets dark. We'll then head to a restaurant for supper and tell tales of the bigguns that got away.

The place we normally go for dinner is out of business now, but jwl lives in Fort Erie and has graciously offered to pick a local restaurant for us, but we'll wait for awhile until we see how many are coming.

Directions........

Take the QEW past Niagara Falls quite a ways towards Fort Erie and watch for Netherby Rd.

Take the Netherby cutoff and go to the 1st stop sign and turn LEFT and go over the QEW and follow Netherby for about 1 mile until you come to the end of the road where you'll be facing the Niagara River.

Turn RIGHT and follow the river road for several miles and you'll see the big marina, then continue for a few minutes till you see the parking lot and boat ramp on your left at Fenchmans Creek.

We'll be in Squids big green / tan LUND

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=net...=1&ct=image

We always have a great day and the more the merrier, so hopefully we'll have a good turnout from those of you who have never joined us before.

It'll be a good idea for everyone to bring a shovel and sand cause it'll probably be pretty cold and the ramp gets ice covered very fast.

Please post you name here if your gonna join us so we'll know what to do for supper.

Roy, could you please pin this for us ??..........thanks

Good info Lew. Still sticking with Pete's green/tan Lund eh? I can't convince you to hop into the blue princecraft? I will be out there again this Saturday I'm hoping and be able to give a bit of an update...hopefully not of the lure-washing variety. I also hope to be there on the 13th. I originally thought I would have a spot available in my boat but I have a couple of boatless friends in that area who are claiming seats in the boat each time I go down there...so sorry to any OFC'ers that were hoping to join me but it appears I will be full.

I will PM you Lew with a couple suggestions to go and eat no problem, and keep posted on weather and ramp conditions.

I got a couple good places to give a go for some fish too, happy to share some advice out on the water.

As a matter of fact I was at the Fishin'Niagara today picking up some steelie tackle for a friend and some guys just came in with a pic of one they got today...not a monster but a respectable little guy in the teens.

Oh and by the way..I'm in..gotta double check with earlier interests when this was first posted if my boat is full or not...will respond accordingly when I find out.

I will keep tabs and if weather sucks, I can go down and try and clean the ramp on the 12th :Gonefishing:

still planning to go , only issue would be road conditions . Towing thru a blizzard from Barrie might not be as fun as it sounds.

Definatly a Muskie Newbie but if anyone is in need I have a open seat as Pikeie won't be back from school untill the following week.

Would it be too much to expect soemone with a 4x4 to assist at the ramp as needed :thumbsup_anim:

TB

Would it be too much to expect soemone with a 4x4 to assist at the ramp as needed :thumbsup_anim:

TB

Don't worry about that Dave, we've never left anyone stranded at the ramp yet. :lol:

It appears we've got a few members who want to join us but don't have boats, so if anyone has room for a passenger, it would be great.

Rizzo... what is the drive time from Barrie to the Launch

right around 2 hours and 15 minutes. We always stay in Grimsby the night before (1.5 hours from Barrie) and then the launch is about 45 minutes from there. I'd invite you to stay at my mother-in-laws house the night before with me, but I'm already in the doghouse for storing all my gear there!

Thanks Roger... so I'd need to leave about 4:30 or so to be there for 8am. Will keep an eye on the weather, the shop work load and the honey do list !

Boat is clean and dry.....and don't wanna cover it in that liquid brine crap that they're putting on the roads these days. If it's nice though... I'm hoping to make it down.

man oh man what a beautiful day...and I got no fishing in. Launched the boat at Netherby and fired it up...no water shooting out the back. We tried poking around in there to see if the "pee hole" was iced over but it wasn't. Nothing clogging the intake either. Tried to find a marina nearby but nobody in Ft Erie or Port Colbourne could look at it on short notice. I had taken the electric off and left it at home so we couldn't even fish the Netherby area by electric. As far as an update :wallbash::wallbash: , a bit of snow at the launch (nothing major) and water temps at 42 degrees. Boat in the shop getting ready for the 13th

ahh, the trials of winter fishing...hopefully it's not really too much with the boat..I helped organize and was in a trout derby yesterday on the Niagara, we had 17 boats out there with 42 participants. Out of all the boats there was the usual winter trouble at first...cold cranking batteries, tough cold starts, 3 boats including my own that started up no probs but not pumping water....thankfully it all worked out for everyone as is to be expected on days like this.....for my boat, I just hoped it was just a bit of ice from fishing the day before...that's all it was in the long run....all I had to do was poke a long pin into the tell tale, I felt there was a bit of ice blockage..soon as I poked it, I got a couple drips of water out, fired up the boat again and it worked like a champ...same as the other 2 boats with the same trouble.

Jwl i'm still in if the offer previous still stands, just bought some new boots to keep the toosties warm, let me know if there is anything you need me to bring or what ever, i can help ya out with clearing the launch as well.

Wayne!

Edited by walleyemen