quick tv opinions needed

bow slayer

well bestbuy told me to come in a pick out a new TV to replace the Hitachi that died last week. Thank god I purchased the extended warranty. What should I get LCD or plasma? What brand name can anyone suggest? I was thing the 52 inch Sony Bravia LCD or the 50 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.I have to go in this weekend to pick one. thanks.

Go with the 50" Panasonic Viera plasma, I have had it for a year now and absolutley love it. It comes with the ATSC tuner built in and then you can hook up to the antenna and get a lot of HD channels for free, depending on where you live. Plasma has made remarkable advances, so it is not like it was 5 years ago with short life span, burn in and pixel problems. Don't buy the cables they will try to sell you, that is where they make their money. Go to this site: Monoprice they will out beat anyone and the cables and mounting brackets are dirt cheap!

Good luck!

Rob

Edited by Rob C

bowslayer, depending on where this TV is going to be really depends if you should go with a LCD or Plasma.

If this is going to be in a livingroom with a lot of natural light, you'll most likely want to go LCD to avoid any glare issues during the day.

If this is in a basement rec room, go plasma.. can't beat the black levels or the vivid colours.

My buddy just picked up a 50inch LG(50PG30 model), extremely nice TV, it was around $1700 a few months ago, should be a bit cheaper now.

Another thing, plasmas have a higher viewing angle compared to LCD's (You can sit further off to the side and still see the picture clearly).

Good luck!

Edited by BillM

Plasma is just plain better for picture quality, colour accuracy and black levels.

But - if you are in a somewhat bright room with no lighting control - go with LCD as there is less glare.

Don't move too quickly, make sure you reseach first. Go to the avsforums.

It isn't as simple anymore to say "go with Sony, or Panasonic" there are too many models and variable to consider.

120 Hz and 1080P are buzz words, that make people spend more money than they need to. If they will replace your set with a set with both, go for it, but I woulod be hesitant to fork out extra for it for a number of reasons.

Do your reseach at avs!

I've had a 50" Sony LCD for a couple of years now and very happy with it. no problems knock on wood and awesome picture.

I still look at some of the HD channels in awe. Particularily football games, NASCAR and anything on the Discovery Channel

Cheers

Craig

just bought the 32 panasonic viera lcd for the wife's lounge! umm the guy told me that the top 2 are sharp and panasonic he said almost all other brands are made by them anyway something to the like of panasonic bought sony out awile back and now sony is panasonics lower end line made at another factory in some other country other than japan the sharp and panasonic are to only 2 true quality builders that still buils in japan apparently?

Bought a 46" LCD Sharp Aquos last fall and just love it B) Picture is clear even in the sun light..... have it setup in the living room and the house is facing Ouest. If you have to make a choice between plasma and LCD, the difference is, plasma is clearer but will produce more heat and the bulb will not last longer then the LCD's

Edited by Leechman

just bought the 32 panasonic viera lcd for the wife's lounge! umm the guy told me that the top 2 are sharp and panasonic he said almost all other brands are made by them anyway something to the like of panasonic bought sony out awile back and now sony is panasonics lower end line made at another factory in some other country other than japan the sharp and panasonic are to only 2 true quality builders that still buils in japan apparently?

Simply not true - Sony is still going strong.

Panasonic makes many of the Plasma screens out there today.

The absolute best TV in the market right now is the Pioneer "kuro" plasma, 100% amazing TV. Panasonic Plasma's are a close second.