Fishin da Hammer

bigugli

Wanted to get out today, but the chauffeur was not going into Niagara today. So I got wifey to drop me off in Hammy harbour for a few hours while she ran errands. The gobies really like minnows and twister tails, but despite that nuisance I found fish. All I needed to do was cast out a distance and let my bait sink in 30 ft of water, then slowly drag it back.

This fella caught me off guard

DSCN2207.jpg

Tonight we will dine on some fresh perch. Only kept them because their swim bladders were right out the mouth, or they were gut hooked.

DSCN2208.jpg

It was a great few hour outdoors.

No algae around today that I could see. As for the perch, like most other schooling fish in the harbour, they run in and out from L Ontario.

As for any toxic crap, I've been eating fish loaded with crap from the mines and the mills up north since being a wee fart. Many a "pristine" lake up North have very high natural occuring levels of heavy metal contamination. It occurs in runoff and eventually ends up in fish, game, wild blueberries, and the meat at the grocery store.

Bruce..I see you are at it again, and got into some decent fish to boot...we need to get out soon,perhaps a pike mission is in order..my boat is home now too :Gonefishing:

Anything is better than sitting at home all day. I can only handle so many hours of the dysfunctional clan every day. I'm sure they feel the same about me too. :w00t: I'm just not ready, yet, to be the hot item on the 6 o'clock news :wacko:

That's a cute little Bullhead!... fat and sassy lookin'!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Those Perch look good and fresh! :Gonefishing:

Limiting your consumption and eating the smaller fish like that should be ok, and like you said... a lot of people don't realize that the fish they ate 20-30 yrs ago were a lot dirtier than the fish today!

Quit eating them when you become your own nightlight! ;)

WTG! Nice looking perch. Were you at Pier 8? That's where the Discovery Centre is. That bullhead is that fat from eating all the bait we put in there for carp. :rolleyes:

That be the place alright. He was quite the little football. The darn gobies were real fat too!

The next time you're there come on over a say hello to us carpers. There are usually a few of us fishing along the pier just east of the discovery centre.

How much luck are you guys having this late in the season??

Hooked into two at St Mary`s the other day and they did not put up any fight, almost felt like dragging a dead weight.

How much luck are you guys having this late in the season??

Hooked into two at St Mary`s the other day and they did not put up any fight, almost felt like dragging a dead weight.

Along Pier 8 we have been steadily catching. Usually 8 to 12 lbs. We are searching around for the biggies who should be putting on the feed bags. Some of our guys got into them up to 38 lbs. at the east end of the harbour on Sunday. The water temp. is still hanging in at around 60 F. They are still fighting pretty good here.

Along Pier 8 we have been steadily catching. Usually 8 to 12 lbs. We are searching around for the biggies who should be putting on the feed bags. Some of our guys got into them up to 38 lbs. at the east end of the harbour on Sunday. The water temp. is still hanging in at around 60 F. They are still fighting pretty good here.

Thats good to hear. I was fishing in the shallow and the water was very cold. Washed my hands in it and couldn't feel my fingers for good couple of minutes. That probably has to do a lot with them not fighting. They were also very dark and a lot slimier then they normally are.

Up to 38 pounds, those are monsters. Most of the ones i catch are 2-6lb.

The next time you're there come on over a say hello to us carpers. There are usually a few of us fishing along the pier just east of the discovery centre.

I guess you fish with Mark? I first met him there while he was carping. A fine guy he is, and very informative. BTW bigugli, nice catches you got there. You got me motivated to head out there now.

Edited by Hooked