removing sap from my boat

jwl

since there are tonnes of boaters on this site that usualy have a tonne of input when someone asks a question, I have one of my own.

I had the bigger boat up at my camp for the last while to get in some summer fun with the kids and such. My trailer lot has huge pine trees on it and of course along with that comes a huge mess sometimes from the sap and such. I have a few spots on the motor cowling and my leather seats I would like to get rid of while I clean it up and get ready for my winter river fishing season.

Any of you folks have any good tips for getting rid of the mess from the sap????

I usually use varsol to remove pine gum. Lots of white pine around my place so a jug of it is always around.

I don't want to wreck the finish on my motor cover, and also what about varsol on the leather seats????

Varsol shouldn't damage anything.....if you're worried try it on a " sight unseen" spot like under the seat...or on the foot of the motor.......wash it off with soap and water right after ..

I've used Varsol and Thinner...to wash off tar and sap.... and yellow paint from the highway off the finish of my vehicles...no damage yet...... just don't let it soak.

Good Luck!

RFS

if that's true, come by my place and take my entire staff, we got all kinds of goof offs :D :D

do these goof offs know how to clean boats?? :lol:

thanks for the tips..I was going to try under the seat where you wouldn't notice so much..I am not much into wrecking a couple hundred dollar seat :lol: same as the finish on my Merc.

I am going to give it a try tommorrow,change the lower unit oil,take out all the remnants of summer fishing stuff, and load it back up so I can have the boat all ready to get dirtied up again for round 2 of the season this fall/winter :Gonefishing:

I have a few spots on the motor cowling and my leather seats I would like to get rid of while I clean it up and get ready for my winter river fishing season.

Any of you folks have any good tips for getting rid of the mess from the sap????

Rubbing Alcohol (aka Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol) should dissolve sap and is not that aggressive on leather. This is what I always used to take the sap stains off my clothes.