working out

1Harringtona

a friend of mine is a personal trainer and a high school gym teacher he says youre wasting your money with gym memberships, diets, and personal tariners. he says that the best way to build muscle mass is to do pushups, crunches, and situps in a row and then repeat do theese before bed and when you wake up you will begin to see results. you should probably start with 20 pushup, 20 crunches, and 20 situps and progress every week. if you are looking to losse weight than dont diet but cut out unnecacry calories. Example butter on bread, mayo on a sandwhich, and drink water instead of pop.

ill show u how this works 80 calories for a slice of bread butter is added the 80 calorie bread is now 170.

Sandwich say is 300 with some meat lettuce and some fixings you add mayo and then its a 450 calorie sandwhich.

well thats a professionals view on the matter not me.

BTW he has a masters of science, and bachelor of physical education

I have finally started to work out :P and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for working out with ankle/ wrist weights. thx. :)

Do regular house chores wearing them, keep the wrist weights light or your wrists close enough to your body to avoid shoulder strain. Make sure the chores involve range of motion.

forrest

a friend of mine is a personal trainer and a high school gym teacher he says youre wasting your money with gym memberships, diets, and personal tariners. he says that the best way to build muscle mass is to do pushups, crunches, and situps in a row and then repeat do theese before bed and when you wake up you will begin to see results. you should probably start with 20 pushup, 20 crunches, and 20 situps and progress every week. if you are looking to losse weight than dont diet but cut out unnecacry calories. Example butter on bread, mayo on a sandwhich, and drink water instead of pop.

ill show u how this works 80 calories for a slice of bread butter is added the 80 calorie bread is now 170.

Sandwich say is 300 with some meat lettuce and some fixings you add mayo and then its a 450 calorie sandwhich.

... and he is absolutely right!!!... Diet and exercise will shape a body better than just diet or exercise!

Wow, how much butter and mayo does he put on his sandwiches??? Adding 90 calories for butter is adding over a tablespoon and adding 150 for mayo is adding a 1 1/2 tablespoons of regular mayo. That seems an aweful lot of butter and mayo.

do a google for starting strength

free weights are the way to go. firget the fancy machines and toss that jewellery (ankle & wrist bracelets) in the trash. olympic barbells and squat stands or if you can afford one, a rack. don't be a sissy and squat. they are probably the single most effective exercise that involve the most muscle groups.

simple program

workout a

squat 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps of as much weight as you can do for 5 reps)

bench 3x5

deadlift 1x5

workout b

squat 3x5

press 3x5

power clean 5x3 (or do bent over rows 3x5 if you cant do power cleans)

you'll notice there are no bicep curls, or other isolation exercises. this is because the ones listed are what are called compound movements; meaning they work many muscles at once. far more efficient than just working out your bbiceps.

you go 3 times a week, mon-wed-fri. ALWAYS take a day off in between workouts to let your body rest & grow. muscle is gained while you rest not in the gym. week one you do workout a, workout b, workout a. week two you do workout b, workout a, workout b. don't skip workouts and eat like you've never eaten before, you cannot grow big and strong on a calorie deficit. adding lean muscle mass has the added benefit of speeding up your metabolism thus making future fat loss easier. dont confuse weight with fat. muscle just weighs more. the mirror tells all, you may weigh the same or even more but you will look & feel 100 times better. protein protein protein. if you are a young guy and your goal is to add as much lean muscle mass as possible, drink a gallon of milk a day. if you're a complete nooob you will be amazed at how much weight you add to the bar each time.

if you've any questions go right ahead and ask. this is all assuming you are interested in gaining muscle mass. if you are just looking to shed body fat, free weights, cardio (ellipticals are great for this) andconsume less calories daily than what your body uses.

Edited by Raf

Wow, how much butter and mayo does he put on his sandwiches??? Adding 90 calories for butter is adding over a tablespoon and adding 150 for mayo is adding a 1 1/2 tablespoons of regular mayo. That seems an aweful lot of butter and mayo.

It's not really the calories of butter and mayo Joey... but the fat content, a healthy adult should only take in 60 grams of fat a day. Most people take in much more than that! Example: and McDonalds Quarter Pounder with Cheese (no mayo or butter) is 26 grams of fat, add a medium fry @ 19 grams of fat... that's 45 grams of fat right there and only leaves 15 grams for the day.

If you want to lose weight, cutting your total fat intake down to 30 grams a day will really help and won't hurt you a bit! Add this to a daily workout routine and you'll look and feel better in just a few short months!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by GCD

It's not really the calories of butter and mayo Joey... but the fat content, a healthy adult should only take in 60 grams of fat a day. Most people take in much more than that! Example: and McDonalds Quarter Pounder with Cheese (no mayo or butter) is 26 grams of fat, add a medium fry @ 19 grams of fat... that's 45 grams of fat right there and only leaves 15 grams for the day.

If you want to lose weight, cutting your total fat intake down to 30 grams a day will really help and won't hurt you a bit! Add this to a daily workout routine and you'll look and feel better in just a few short months!!! :thumbsup_anim:

not exactly.

the key to dropping weight is amazingly simple. consume less calories than what you use. calories are calories. they can come from protein, carbs, fat and alcohol. if your base metabolic rate is 2500 cals/day and you consume 2400 cals of all fat (which is 343 grams), you will still drop weight. you'll still be an unhealthy IQ challenged.

each gram of protein and crabs is 4 cals, each gram of fat is 7 cals. alcohhol is 7 or 8. most people training aim for a 45/35/20 protein/carb/fat split (or thereabouts) and gasp... avoid alcohol.

Edited by Raf

Unless you're already lifting weights be careful with the wrist weights. They can put added pressure on the elbows and shoulders and if you're not ready can lead to injuries. Personally I would ditch them. If you're walking or jogging ankle weights can be helpful, I've used them from time to time ( I equate them to wearing skates for hockey) but make sure you don't use them when you first start out, wait 4-6 weeks and let you body adjust to the exercise before adding weights. You also don't need huge weights, start small and it will still make a difference.

A little additional info if you're interested. If you're just beginning focus on full body exercises and ones that work large muscle groups such as push ups, squats, lunges, shoulder presses. After a while slowly add specific exercises for smaller muscle groups, like bicep curls. And always work out the large muscles before smaller one in a workout.

If you're really interested I'd head down to chapters and find a decent book.

You can come and help me drag 80 foot tall oak and maple trees out of the bush for the next 3 weeks. I'll drop them and drag them and then let you do the cutting/lifting/running the splitter and stacking. I'll sit back and drink my beer and watch you get in shape. Finding my body is not appreciating getting itself back into shape one bit this week !

Dammit I was heading to the fridge to make a Sammie too,oh well ,want a job to keep ya in shape become a contractor haha Mike holmes,nothing wrong with working out,I wouldent go the Gym membership trainer route ,id get some freeweights a bench walk lots and drink tons of water

I have the adjustable ankle weights so what I have been doing lately ( about a week or so ) is going to school with 3 lbs on each ankle and 5 lbs while working out and I have seen okay results but I was wondering if anyone knows any other workouts with these type of weights so I can see better results.

not exactly.

the key to dropping weight is amazingly simple. consume less calories than what you use. calories are calories. they can come from protein, carbs, fat and alcohol. if your base metabolic rate is 2500 cals/day and you consume 2400 cals of all fat (which is 343 grams), you will still drop weight. you'll still be an unhealthy IQ challenged.

each gram of protein and crabs is 4 cals, each gram of fat is 7 cals. alcohhol is 7 or 8. most people training aim for a 45/35/20 protein/carb/fat split (or thereabouts) and gasp... avoid alcohol.

Yes... exactly!

They key to losing weight and being healthy is a healthy diet and exercise!... the first thing you do is go into the fridge and throw out the butter tub, cheese, mayo jar, ice cream, and whole milk... replace the whole milk with skim milk, then go to the pantry and throw out the peanut butter jar and the cookies... all of these "so called" foods are very high in fat!

Your body has to do very little to fat in the digestion process and it goes straight to being body fat! There's an enzyme in body fat called Leptin, when you burn body fat your Leptin level drops sending a signal to your brain that you are hungry even though you may not need to eat... it is a built self preservation device and is the main reason overweight/obese people feel like they need to eat even though they don't!!!

A low fat diet rich in raw fruit, vegetables, and very lean meat (mainly skinless baked poultry) and low fat soups will make a healthier fitter you!

I know what you're saying Glen, but what I meant was Portion Control! You can have small amounts of anything, as long as you don't eat a large portion of it. We need fat in our diets, just not a tablespoon and a half for a sandwich. Two "teaspoons," not "tablespoons" of butter is more than enough for a sandwich and you don't need to slather on the mayo either.

As for McDonalds, you couldn't pay me to eat there!!

Joey

Edited by Joey

It`s been a while for me and a work out. I used to wear up to 7.5 pounds of ankle weights on each leg while at work, truck driver with lots of stops during the day for pickups and deliveries so I did quite a bit of walking. Wrist weights got in the way while driving so I didn`t use them while driving.

Raf is right about using the large muscle masses, they burn the most calories. When I was into it lunch was 2 or 3 cans of Tuna and some cut up fruit, a can of Salmon sometimes instead of the tuna.

Dinner was whatever I wanted, Steak, Chicken, with side dishes, then a work out with free weight, the bench, 150 situps, squats, jumping jacks, till it got dark enough for some night fishing.

Can`t lose weight or build muscle on the couch watching TV. I was single at the time with not a lot of distractions.

Don`t try to be a hero, start easy, warm up, if you go heavy on the bench have a spotter. Just a mind set to it, after a while it becomes fun.

I agree 90 percent what he says because rest assure someone from that same school or others will tell us its bad for us. Whats the difference between Aerobics and Calastetics. One is bad for you and one has music and is the IN THING. My Job was being fit and I always prided myself for being the fittest for my age 25 yrs plus. My experience is after seeing a Dietitian after spending 6 months in IRAQ eating hard Rations. Was cut down on Sugars, Cheese, and don't miss meals. Circuit Training in the Gym and the odd day circuit training in the weight room. My weight went down fast till it plateaued. Then I switched to another exercise which was step-ups 3 times a week at noon. I just turned 50 and I still work out everyday as I feel like a slug if I don't. 3 Days a week I circuit train Push ups, Sit Ups , Bur-pees, Barbell Curls, Barbell presses, while running as hard as my age will let me 3 times around the Gym between exercises. The other two days is a heavy Rucksack walk. Only one problem, I'm only maintaining as I should also Diet and not drink alcoholic fluids on the weekends.

Edited by holdfast

Yes... exactly!

Your body has to do very little to fat in the digestion process and it goes straight to being body fat!

you are misinformedo n a few points glen. what youre telling me is if i cut fat down to 60 grams but still consume a caloric excess thanks to carbs and protein i will lose weight which is simply not true.

the only time anything you consume gets stored as fat (and that can be carbs or protein too) is when you consume more cals than what you use in a day.

let me say it again. calories, no matter what form they come in (fat, carbs or proteins), are one thing only: energy. if you consume less calories in a day than what you use there is no excess to be stored as fat or to be used in an anabolic process such as growing muscle. so.. you eat less than what your body requires.. your body will use energy stores in your body (ie. fat, muscle) to make up the energy shortfall from the caloric deficit.

the problem with many diets is that they cut waaaaay too many calories, when this happens your body goes into a catabolic state. basically it's just trying to survive and it will use existing muscle mass as an energy source BEFORE using fat. so you get a double whammy.. slower metabolism, less muscle mass. when you start eating 'normally' again, you will put back on the weight and more quickly!

Edited by Raf

as for what to eat.

protein is key, lean red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, egg whites, all good sources. it can be tough to consume enough protein in a day, this is where protein shakes can come in handy - be careful to avoid the ones loaded with sugars (carbs). the good ones will have 1 gram of carbs or less per serving.

cut out white carbs (white bread, white rice, sugars) these are junk carbs. focus on whole wheat breads, brown rice. greens are another good source of carbs (spinach, beans, broccolli). be careful with fruits as many contain lots of sugar. fruit juice as a health drink is a bit of a misnomer. fructose is not as bad as sucrose but don't over do it. personally i avoid fruit juices with teh exception of grapefruit juice.

not all fat is created equal. there are 'good' fats. fish oil is a great example. milk, cottage cheese yet another great source of 'good' fat and protein.

nothing wrong with the occasional stop at rotten ronnies. toss out the bun and go to town. the jr. chicken sandwiches are a good deal, 4 per meal outta do it. :D

i've basically gone from about 22-23% body fat to mid teens eating smarter and working out as I described earlier. My weight hasn't changed all that much, in fact I probably weigh a little more (remember, muscle is heavier than fat). however, the mirror doesn't lie much less body fat and I feel and am much stronger.

Edited by Raf

I have the adjustable ankle weights so what I have been doing lately ( about a week or so ) is going to school with 3 lbs on each ankle and 5 lbs while working out and I have seen okay results but I was wondering if anyone knows any other workouts with these type of weights so I can see better results.

I've never used ankle weights or any of that sort of stuff before, just freeweights. But for any type of working out it takes longer than a week to see big results. If you are seeing okay results in a week, I'd say your doing a good job. Stick at it, and you will see better results.

And what kind of results are you after.

Edited by DANIMAL