How Do You Transport 1 Piece Rods

MCTFisher9120

I have been looking around for a good rod to go with my soon to come Shimano Curado. I have always used 2 piece rods and i now want to try a 1 piece rod, my only question is how would i transport it. We don't have a boat to put it in, and 99% of the time when i go fishing or camping we have all of our stuff in a van. Any suggestions on how to keep my rod in good shape and being able to move it from place to place without breaking it!

Thanks for any advice,

Mike :D

bps sells a thingamajig that works well. basically two straps that you suspend from the ceiling of your vehicle and stick your rods in. keeps them up and out of danger of being squished. i can fit an 8'6" 1pc in my cherokee this way.

bps sells a thingamajig that works well. basically two straps that you suspend from the ceiling of your vehicle and stick your rods in. keeps them up and out of danger of being squished. i can fit an 8'6" 1pc in my cherokee this way.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Would this be it?

Since I'm a Redneck it's very easy... I put them in the back of my pick up truck! :thumbsup_anim:

You may also want to consider one of these!

I picked one up for BassMasterMike this fall... ask him how he likes it.

The thing is amazing!!! Thanks again Dawg!! Prolly the single most important fishing tools i have ever owned, no more broken rod tips and scratched reels since you have total control of 8 rods and a cute little carry handle too! :clapping:

I really like that one DanielM! A hundred bucks is cheap too considering what we spend on rods and reels. Mine are always just laying loose in the bottom of the boat! I wonder if I'd take the time to use it though......????

Mine. ...some battle scars on the outside from road trips and airlines but the inside is like new. I needed something durable and made to carry a few rods without stuffing them loose into a tube with next to no protection. All cases have pros and cons, this case is no different. What i would like to see is a travel specific version of this case, built like flight cases for guns and bows where there's a handle on one end and wheels at the other. I'll probably end up modifying mine in some way to be like that.

2025.jpg

Edited by j ace

I have the "Rod Saver" and it works fine in the Tahoe. I haven't adapted it to the van yet but the initial problem I foresee is mounting the front strap. I don't have a place for it on my van. If you have a sliding door on your van, think it through before purchasing.

-Brian

I have several rods over 7 feet and I broke down & bought a Flambeau BAZUKA from BPS I think it was around $45 CAN I had the wife sew up some rod socks from scrap material and I can get 6 or more rods depending on whether they are casting(smaller guides) or spinning(bigger guides). Reels go in Crown Royal bags(lots around here!) and then into my reel bag(modified medical tool bag).

I can lock Bazuka for travel and it collapses for storage( I store my rods in a custom made rod rack when not in use

Don't know how I ever got along without it!

FT

If you are really worried about how you would transport it, better to steer clear.

I have a single one piece, and it gets left at home on alot of fishing trips because I just cant transport it. (friends small cars, my total lack of a car, etc, etc)

Just getting your one piece rods safely to the lake can sometimes just be the first leg of the journey. On occasion, I've taken trips into remote areas where portaging our boat, motor and gear into several subsequent lakes was the task. For such occasions, I've packed my one piece rods (in rod socks) into a Plano Guide series rod caddy - similar to this one - see http://www.buytackle.com/product_view.cfm?id=1395

Sure, its a little inconvenient but that comes with the joys of using one piece rods.