Bait Ban Poll

xrap

Isn't it fishmaster that was always complaining people were ripping him off for money/bait at his self serve location, lack of bait will save him the grief.

I'm not going to register either....but....

Any effort to save the bait industry, that has been reduced thanks to the possibility of disease spread, is no doubt putting profits ahead of biology and the long term effect such spread will have on our fisheries. Go fully educated before you supports such a "cause".

We already have enough problems with Zebra mussles, spiny water flea, gobbies, etc from poor angler/boat trailering habits. Lets not add to it with sloppy bait handling practices.

Edited by irishfield

He was nice enough to leave it open so that you can get bait anytime you want. I would be pissed to if people started stealing bait and other things from my store as well. And as for supporting the cause, I'm sticking with my vote 100% all the way. The votes are now 79-0, I think think that's prettymuch a one sided poll that everyone agree's on not just me.

Edited by xrap

Thousands of little furry animals all leap to their deaths because one does it...doesn't make it right.

Sure, everyone one of us feels for the guys that collect bait for a living... being told they can't do it anymore in the south. But like the East Coast's Cod fishery...there's a darn good reason for it.

I'm sure like anyone that has been laid off from a company, they (the bait collectors) can relocate if they wish to continue collecting bait. The same demand is going to be there from anglers, so they will need just as many workers collecting it.....just from new locals in the North. Northern bait can still be sold in the South...just not the other way around.

Like I said, just do your homework before you jump on board supporting something. That goes for everything in life, not just minnows!

Thousands of little furry animals all leap to their deaths because one does it...doesn't make it right.

Sure, everyone one of us feels for the guys that collect bait for a living... being told they can't do it anymore in the south. But like the East Coast's Cod fishery...there's a darn good reason for it.

I'm sure like anyone that has been laid off from a company, they (the bait collectors) can relocate if they wish to continue collecting bait. The same demand is going to be there from anglers, so they will need just as many workers collecting it.....just from new locals in the North. Northern bait can still be sold in the South...just not the other way around.

Like I said, just do your homework before you jump on board supporting something. That goes for everything in life, not just minnows!

Amen Wayne, some just don't quite understand the complexity of the problem.

Hey Irishfield, I do see the point you are trying to get across. So why don't you sign up and vote. Every vote does count and it could change alot of people's perspective on the topic. Personally for me I don't think it would because I use live bait all the time but I don't abuse it. It's great that there trying to make people understand and think about the future's conseqences but thier are greater problems out there like gobbies and now the invasive carp have become a real threat to us. If they do pass that barrier might as well say bye to our great lakes fisheries.

BY and large our MNR does a very good job. If there are biologists who say this needs to be done, I submit they are the authorities for whom we should give the most credence to.

Clearly a bait dealer would not want a ban on catching minnows in his own area. Clearly bait dealers don't want people learning to catch their own bait.

If there is a clear threat to our Kawarthas and Nippissing musky and walleye, then this is a small step to take.

Not going to subscribe to another fishing board just so I can cast a vote on some "poll". If it's a legitimate lobbying attempt to the MNR, then I'm sure it will come up on OFC and we'll debate it/vote on it here. At this point I can only speculate...but I'd presume this poll was started by someone in the bait collection or sales industry and they don't like the price they'll be paying for shipped in bait.

Edited by irishfield

X-Rap seems intent on some of us joining another board more than voting on anything. So, I'll wait till Fishmaster comes on this board to defend his position as a bait seller.

Hit it right on the dot Roy. :glare: I was trying to get everyone to join fishmaster's board to start a big arguement. ;)

Here's the long and short of it XRap. Biologists...people with PHD's have said this virus poses a substantial risk. Such a risk that they are going to zone off certain areas. These guys know way more about the threat than does fishmaster or me or anyone else here.

The bait dealers are on a self-serving mission. They (bait dealers) also want to ban people from catching their own bait.

There used to be a law similar to this new law. Bait could not be transported from one body of water to another. This law was dropped ( I would guess under pressure by the bait wholesalers).

The bait dealers need to come up with solid scientific evidence that the bait poses no risk. Spend a year collecting baitfish from Eire and the Niagara and have them tested. Show that there is no virus in these minnows and the MNR would have no leg to stand on with their ban. Then take the MNR to court under the myriad of commerce acts we have and be done with it.

If we step back and logically consider who has more credibility here...biologists or bait wholesalers...who do you think comes out on top??

I do feel bad for the bait dealers. My father sold bait years ago so I do understand a little about it all. But unfortunately this looks like the only solution at this time. On another board I read about a guy that was going to bring his own minnows up from the south because he was worried he couldn't get them here. Not sure he was aware of the ban or not but it goes to show the possibilities. It would be a disaster to spread any disease or non native critter to other areas of the province because of the selfishness of a non caring fisherman. :glare: Irish said it all above -Sorry but I cant jump on the band wagon this time. :(

Dont kid yourself Xrap, if you vote "no", Fishmaster will delete your vote. If you try to voice your opinion in any way differently than his, he will delete your post. Trust me.

Well if he wants to be a jerk about let him be one. I'm just speaking for myself. There's over 1000 members on this site, not everyone is going to agree on the same thing. So I hope you guys don't get mad at me for having my own opinion, and saying what's on my mind.

To have an opinion is good thats how we communicate and debate topics of such discussion. If you are ripped for your opinion then thats not the intent of this web board. I myself feel bad for the bait dealers but Fishmaster has an entire tackle and charter business he runs and to lose a small portion of his business to save the future of the fisheries as per the MNR then to me thats a small price to pay. I think what the MNR is doin is whats best right now. The problem can only get worse if bait is transferred from one body of water to another. Besides if anyone needs bait go catch your own, I know in the Grand River in Dunnville its quite easy to scoop minnows with a dip net. Bait is everywhere go get your own. :P:sleeping_02:

it must be tough for some of the bait guys. crippling actually, but who wants disease to spread to the interior of ontario. not me.

it was hard enough to watch muskies floating down the Detroit river this spring, and catfish floating along the shore of BOQ this summer.

poeple have a choice of what they can sell. fish dont have a choice of where they can swim.

this is a tough subject. no simple answers

Irish, i agree with what you posted, except i have to point out one error.

commercial bait fisherman have licenses that determine where they can net. its not quite as easy as 'picking up and moving up north.'

you need a license for the water up north your netting from, and trust me, commercial bait licenses are not easy to come by. they have all been granted to baiters, therefore, in order to get rights to an area, they have to be purchased from the owner.....not cheap.

that is all.

I have noticed a few referances to harvesting your own baitfish.Now maybe I have been misinformed but I thought no one could harvest baitfish in the infected zone period.I find it doesn't clearly explain this in the mnr press release.Can anyone educate me on this.

I realy see no reason that you can't catch bait in the bay to use in the bay other than enforcement of not transporting the bait north.But with no enforcement from our underfunded mnr for any of the rules I'm afraid that people that don't care about other rules won't care about this one.

Duber;

The ban prohibits commercial harvest. It also bans all transportation out of the infected zone.So you can catch your own...you just can't take it out of the area.

I must admit, it doesn't make much sense on the surface that commercial bait harvesters cannot harvest in the zone for sale within the zone.

Perhaps that is where the harvesters protest should be.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Rick.

Guess I better see if I can find the ol minnow trap!

I was told by a guy that sells minnows that it was a $650 fine if you were caught with a trap in the water.He is on this board so hopefully he will read this post as well.Hate to think he would tell people that just to sell more minnows.