"Hunt for Big Jake 12" kawartha muskies

jediangler

This marks our 12th year for the boys musky weekend we like to call the hunt for "Big Jake". We stayed at Camp Ashtabula and were very happy with accomadations and our rental boats. Rob & Donna are great hosts.

http://www.campashtabula.com

All 4 of us went up in Griff's minivan and there was enough room to pack the guitars.

jammin.jpg

Joonmoon on bass and the Shipper on guitar while Griff sings the folk songs of his youth. We arrived Friday at dinner time and enjoyed great food and drink while we prepared for the tourney to start the next morning.

cook.jpg

Griff and Joonmoon were the cooks for the weekend, here Griff enjoys a cold one after dinner.

The 1st quarter (Saturday morn till 1pm) we decided to go to the north section of Pigeon lake.

cathat.jpg

nicehat.jpg

The Shipper brought out his new lucky hat for the ride north. We had no rain and very light winds and managed to get 3 muskies to follow to the boat. Two followed Joonmoon's Grandma and one followed my Slopmaster but all looked rather lazy and didn't even attempt to strike at the baits.

The 2nd quarter (4pm-8pm) I asked if they wanted to try the west shore accross from Gannon's narrows. We tied some jigs on in order to try and get some table fare and maybe a bass or two as well.

winbass.jpg

I picked up this 19" smallie on a white jig & grub and it turned out to be the biggest bass of the weekend. You can see Griff and the Shipper in the backround.

eats.jpg

Joonmoon used a small tube jig in pink to entice these two perch and one crappie to come back to the cottage with us for dinner. The wind was light and the sky was cloud filled but only a spit of rain was coming down as we moved to our favourite sunset fishing hole. I had on a Mepps musky killer in black with a gold blade when this beast hit at 7:40pm.

pb49inch.jpg

Joonmoon did a fine job with the cradle and the camera as I landed a new PB musky that measured 49".

freedom.jpg

The Shipper took this release shot from their rental boat and the fish swam away strong after a few minutes of revival.

The 3rd quarter we decided to go over to Buckhorn and try our luck in and around Gannon's narrows on the way. We fished Gannon's bay and around the bridge a bit but only had a few panfish hit jigs that we hoped would get us a walleye.

loony.jpg

The Shipper did get this great pic of a loon that was not shy at all and came closer to the boat than any other loon I have seen. We went back for lunch and poured over the maps to see where to go for the 4th and final quarter. We decied to go north again where we had the follows on the first morning. Nothing was happening so we worked our way south hitting all our spots on the way without even seeing a follow. When we arrived at our sunset spot I put on an orange J-13 and slowed down my presentation just as the rain started.

43rdski.jpg

This little 28"er liked the wiggle of the J-13 and tried to get it all in his mouth at once. It wasn't hooked as bad as it looks and it sped off as soon as it hit the water needing no reviving time at all. Again it was around 7:30pm although it looks much darker by the photo. That was it for fishing as the rain began to pick up as we made our way back to the cottage in near dark to end another "Big Jake" weekend.

seeya.jpg

Sadly the Impaler missed this years tourney after making all eleven previous years. We missed you buddy and hope you can return with us next year.

Edited by jediangler

What an awesome weekend with the bros...Since I missed the last two years due to neck and spine injuries I had forgotten how much fun we have. Playin the Bass and learning from the Shipper was a blast. Eatin some quality Pigeon Lake perch and Crappies was great but the weekend was made with the chance to land the Biggun for my little Bro. And seeing how exhausted we both were after her release I can only hope to share the feeling again...only with Jedi on the cradle...lol. Thanks Bros for a beauty weekend, lookin forward to next trip out already. B)

• 3 weeks later...