Another Salmon Pier Report.

ccmtcanada

Well, with bly's success last night, we decided to hit the piers one more time, this time trying a different trib mouth. Talked to a bunch of fellow anglers who said there were lots around...lots of jumping and action. A few hits and a few landed.

We found our spot out there and started casting our cleos. Sure enough, we could see lots of action....I was hoping it was just a matter of time before one of us hooked into one.

When I first started fishing piers, I just did what everyone else seemed to be doing. Chuck it out there and then start retrieving. I read an article in a magazine that made complete sense so this is what I do now. I cast out as far as I can, count to 5 and then start my retrieve. I fan cast from my spot with the same count. If nothing happens, I cast out, count to 10 and start the whole process again until finally my lure is hitting bottom. Then it's start over again counting to 5.

Anyhow, on a 15 count, I felt a quick hit...set the hook and nothing is there. I figured 15 was the number tonight, so I kept at that count. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later, I feel another solid hit and the fish goes beserk!!! Bly started counting how many times it actually cleared the water. It dove deep and then I was reeling like a madman....fully anticipating a jump and sure enough it cleared the water by about 2 feet. Then it dove again and once again reeling like a madman to keep up...this time it jumped 3 times in quick succession. Anyhow, the final count was 9 times!!! Talk about an adrenaline rush.

Here's the fish....not as pretty as my last one...this was already brown, but still a ton of fun to fight....measured in at 37 3/4 inches...didn't bother to weigh this one....wanted to get it back in the water as soon as possible.

373quarterinchchinny.jpg

Great report pic, and fish Cliff!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I thought you were going to say your strategy was to pack up and leave and come back after catching a fish on the first cast! ;)

... the ol' countdown ploy eh?... I've never heard of it...

... one thousand one... one thousand two... one thousand three... :whistling:

Nice work dude! That seems like an efficient strategy and I think I'll employ it either this evening or first light tomorrow at the mouth of the Humber! How heavy is the line you are using? I don't want to get spooled and I maybe have 125 yards of 50 lb braid. At the same time, I don't want the fish to snap the line if I try to muscle it in. I've only been out twice trying to land salmon off piers and have yet to actually even get one on so I have zero experience in this realm.

alot of members talk about "pier" fishing.... does this refer to the manmade rocks placed at the rivers/mouth edge that people fish from? like at port credit?

I thought piers were sorta like docks......

thanks for the clarification.

Piers are man-made structures that go out into the lake. Could be made of wood or concrete.

Here's a pic of one I grabbed from the net.....

IMG_2830.jpg

Edited by ccmt

Nice work dude! That seems like an efficient strategy and I think I'll employ it either this evening or first light tomorrow at the mouth of the Humber! How heavy is the line you are using? I don't want to get spooled and I maybe have 125 yards of 50 lb braid. At the same time, I don't want the fish to snap the line if I try to muscle it in. I've only been out twice trying to land salmon off piers and have yet to actually even get one on so I have zero experience in this realm.

I'm using 30lb power pro. The reel I use has a 250 yard capacity with 8lb test (same diameter as 8lb mono). I'd say you have enough line for most of the fish....just make sure you use your drag properly! There has been a fish or two though that just runs and runs like I didn't have my drag set....luckily for me both times it spit the hook and they didn't spool me!

I'd suggest using at least a 7 foot medium heavy rod...these fish are powerful!!!

Edited by ccmt