Tips on keeping tube jigs alive for more then a few fish?

BillM

Been fishing with tube jigs the past couple of outings for smallmouth and having an absolute blast. Problem is, I get some small fish like rock bass, etc that grab the jig and end up tearing the plastic near the jig head. Once the tear gets big enough, the eye of the hook will just slide down the plastic anytime it comes into contact with something. I reel in and am left with a tube, half off the hook :)

I usually turn the jig around and start fresh on the other side, but this only lasts so long..

Is this just how tube fishing goes? or are there a few things I can try to make the tubes last a little longer?

Wallyboss: That is a great idea.. Maybe I am causing half the problems by forcing the head through the tube after I stick the hook through...

I'll have to give that a shot!

Even a piece of thin safety wire would work me thinks.

uhmmm

you are inserting the jig head through the a$s end of the tube and retying when putting on a new tube, right? the only thing piercing the tube will be the tie eye.

Edited by Raf

One way to get more life out of a tube is to heat up a paper clip wire and melt a hole where the eyelet will be ,the heat seals around the hole avoiding a tear in the first place , best to pre melt a bunch at home, so you don't waste time on the water.or do what I do simply own a thousand of them.

uhmmm

you are inserting the jig head through the a$s end of the tube and retying when putting on a new tube, right? the only thing piercing the tube will be the tie eye.

Oh man, do I ever feel stupid now...

Don't worry about it. We all did the same thing until someone showed us how to rig them.

Kinda like using a granny knot to tie our hooks on when we were kids :whistling: Only to get a little tap on the back of the head for losing too many hooks.