A Terrible Day for the Combat Engineers

holdfast

Today We lost an Entire Reconnaissance Engineer Section due to an IED buried in a Culvert under the Road. As you Know Canada has a small Army and within that Army even smaller the Corps of Engineers. Unfortunately today I personally have been touched by the death of one Particular Engineer, Sgt Eades.

Sapper Eades (Engineer term for Pvt) had served for me as one of my Section Members while I was a Master Corporal in Petawawa. I might have been his first Section Commander as what I could Remember is that he had just completed his Basic Engineer Course and joined 2 Combat Engineer.

Where I do Remember him well is when Cpl Eades had served for me for a second time as a Member of by Bridging Troop. I would rely on him for his technical knowledge of some of our Bridging Equipment. It was during this time that myself and Cpl Eades would Clash over an incident which led to An abuse of Authority Harassment investigation against me, which I was cleared however, I had not forgiven and led me to believe that he could not be trusted. The Powers to be would Post him to Cold Lake and I would carry on as the Troop Warrant. Years later I would meet Master Corporal Eades for the first time since the Incident. I was surprised that he had been promoted and even more surprised when he apologized to me regarding the Harassment charge that he initiated.

Today upon learning of his death, I could not help but feel sadness and guilt for his ultimate sacrifice. If he can hear me I would like to say to him, that not only have I forgiven him, but how proud I am to have known him. I remember how he came to me and told me that he was on light duties with bruised Ribs because his toddler daughter had jumped on him to wish him good morning in bed, Forgive me Shawn as I had rolled my eyes to you in disbelief. Now I feel so bad that your two Daughters are fatherless. Unfortunately Sgt Eades, we will never have a beer together, to mend what was broken in the past. If I knew this was going to happen like this, Shawn, I would of been a better person and Supervisor to you. Thank you Shawn for your Ultimate Sacrifice and may god take care of your family and yourself in the afterlife. You will be in heaven with two of your Comrades who gave up their lives for Duty, Honor, and Loyalty. God Bless

our condolences as well, I have a step brother stationed out of Petawawa, who finished a tour of duty in the Middle East sometime back in the winter. Sadly he lost a couple room-mates and good friends on that tour as well when thier LAV was hit, and another incident.

I was truely saddened to hear this yesterday, and even more now.

When Personal experiences are shared it always seems to put a little more reality to the news, and being a Sad state of affairs it puts even more perspective to the event.

This man was not Just a soldier...these men have familys, freinds, and could be your neighbor.

Lets remember that, and not alow ourselfs to become desensitized to the statisics.

Your account has served him well Holdfast.

They died doing their duty for our country. I hope, this time around, our government does not forget its duty to their service.

It's a deep hollow feeling inside when you lose an oppo or barracks mate.

Like the song says, "Bless em all..." and God keep em close.

Last year my Dad passed away in Petawawa after I had reunited with him and moved him from the Dumps of Halifax. Unfortunately I would move to Alberta and left him alone. But when I was making the funeral arrangements in Pembroke I got talking to the Directer and the conversation came up on weather he was busy or not. It had never occurred to me when he somberly said to me that unfortunately he has been really busy because of the Base.