Boys weekend at Jiggy Jiggy!

TJQ

Avery and I managed to get up to Jiggy for the long weekend... it rained a bit the one day, but otherwise the weather was always better than they were predicting (buzz kills...) On the way in we stopped and saw Oxcowboy and his buds at Golden Eagle, didn't know that Wendel was there or I would have searched him out as well!

After we got camp set up, Avery and I headed out on the river, where the pace of the weekend was quickly set with him catching all that nights dinner..... a sign of things to come...

img_2214.jpg

img_2215.jpg

img_2240.jpgimg_2243.jpg

img_2216.jpg

You can see his SEG (*&%$ eating grin... get bigger and bigger as the weekend progresses... lol)

We managed to get a small flock of black ducks to come in... not as friendly as the ones we had last year, but we still did managed to bribe them with enough bread to get them up on the dock...

img_2220.jpg

We have a couple of minnow traps at a beaver pond on the way in and last time we were up there was a TON of tadpoles in the water... well there must be no predators in that pond cause this time when we looked they had all come out of the water, it was incredible!! It was a sight Id never seen before...

img_2228.jpg

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

This was also something I'd never seen before..a pretty disgusting insect.. it was about 4 inches long... and was attacking the little frogs.. squirming around in them and biting them with its mandibles... Anyone know what it is??? It was like an armoured centipede.. with less legs...

img_2230.jpg

img_2235.jpg

Thousands of frogs in different stages of evolution.

img_2237.jpg

The next day Avery and I packed up our new to us 12 footer and went back to a lake we know... the one where Monique caught her big perch... he was casting to shore .. it was a Jumla only day for him... I was jigging with some nice minnows to see if there was any pickerel in the lake. I'm pretty sure I missed a big one, the bite felt right, and while I poked around like that, Avery whooped my butt with the Jumla... see the grin get bigger and bigger...

img_2260.jpg

img_2254.jpg

img_2256.jpg

img_2259.jpg

img_2258.jpg

Apparently outfishing me wore him right out... so the next day when I asked him what he wanted to do, he wanted to go exploring on the ATV, which was fine with me, I had 4 lakes I wanted to check out to see if they were accessible and if we could get the boat in.. so off we went, putting about 110 km on the bike, we brought lunch and had a great day!

In an old clear cut you could see where a bear had walked up the side of a sand dune, i though the tracks made a nice picture...

img_2263.jpg

img_2264.jpg

Someones had a bad day....

img_2265.jpg

The end of one cut trail... a spectacular view of the surrounding area...

img_2274.jpg

One access to a very large lake... no other access points and no traffic at this spot.. I bet no ones fished it for years.... Till the next time I get in there...

img_2275.jpg

img_2281.jpg

Also when we got back.. there was a couple of Beers at the door at Jiggy, apparently some transient with a float plane dropped by to say hi... and of course picked the day we were out gallivanting around... thanks for the Beers IrishField!! Next time let me know when your coming!!

After delighting in the fact that Avery was supplying the fish for dinner, he then proceeded to takle 5 bucks from me playing crib as well.... geezz rub salt into my wounds... I think the young padawan is starting to teach the teacher....

The next morning this bold visitor was hopping around camp...

img_2296.jpg

It also seemed that there were alot more Terns ( I think that's what this is) as well as an over abundance of woodcocks along the trails... more than normal...

img_2309.jpg

Ive also been looking for something we could pull behind my 15hp so the kids can do some water sports in the afternoons while there, so they dont get over board with the ole man wanting to fish all the time... we splurged and bought an O'brien Jimmy Jam board, and hoped the boat would pull it - and yes it did!!

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

All in all it was a great weekend!! Now back to work to wait for the next trip up in Mid August.

Nice report and pics! Looks like the boys had a great time... Avery looks like he's been drinking a lot of chocolate milk as he has a milk mustache in every pic! LOL HH

LOL.. ya hes getting furry... hey HH how long are you at Golden Eagle???

Dragonfly nymph..Cool pics!

Nope. Predacious diving beattle larvae. Coleoptera family.

And those tiny frogs may have been tiny toads, which would explain why they're in such large numbers.

Great report!

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

Joey... I believe your right... a google image search confirmed that!! They are nasty!!!

http://images.google.ca/images?q=helgremite

Ya, we used to fish with those in Calgary. They are under the rocks there and the first time I picked one up to use as bait I learned my lesson on how hard they bite :stretcher:

From then on we'd try to just hook them on by piercing them with the hook without touching them. First cast is fish on with them usually.

Joey