1st Salmon Off The Piers!!!!!!!!!

CLofchik

Geeze what size of baseball bats are you guys using to land these fish?

Honestly, my fish was lifted (not netted) up onto the pier and handled quite gently. I thought it was a brown at first but with all the scales coming off (look at the tail, I just grabbed that with my hand) something was different. No other salmon or trout that I land and handle the same way ever look that bad. Mine was realeased and swam away, what happened after is another story.

Burt :)

Is it just me or did you slaughter an atlantic?

Lol, there always has to be one that starts it.

Here I was, excited in my chance to snooker a few people with a troll of a th'd title, with the side benefit of the "Never cry wolf" factor.........keep telling people the kings are in for a month, and when they ARE in nobody will believe you and I have the piers all to myself :D

No, wasn't an Atlantic. LOL no atlantics live to get that size, there are no atlantics, enough with the atlantics. I don't like Australian wine either :D

It was a chinook, no clippings so it could've come from anywhere, most likely stocked May 2007, so just over a year.

Hint: Atlantics (LOL!) have large widely spaced black dots, similiar to browns. But they also have very small mouths, the joint never extends past the eye, and the eye will be noticeably larger in that small a fish. The tail is still forked from the parr stage, it fills out in the 2nd year.

It also was not a coho, which has a folding tail like a rainbow. Chinooks are very easy to tail by hand, coho's are not. Forget grey, black, white gums & mouths, and while chinooks are only supposed to have spots on the top half of the tail I've seen them with spots throughout the tail fairly commonly. But always, chinook=stiff tail coho=very flexible tail. Then there's the cohnooks........common coho/chinook hybrid!

In fact there's a very good chance I helped gather & sort the egg that the little guy came from, 1st year the Metro East Anglers/OFAH took over running Ringwood after the MNR abandoned chinook stocking in Lake O altogether. Which I thought was rather cool.

He took the hook deep and ripped a gill, he was a goner. Instead of feeding the comorants I don't feel bad about making him breakfast tomorrow.

Here's the shot of him, with a shot of a similiar sized atlantic. Note the jaw & eyes.

July28001.jpg

Atlantic-salmon-2.JPG

And this is a shot of what he would've looked like last year before he was released in May, took this year @ Ringwood.

Ringwood_Finclip08.jpg

These threads never cease to amaze me. Look at it from a newbie's perspective. A dude posts a thread to the board and according to the newbie, this poster dude seems to really know what he's talking about. So, the thread is but a few hours old and what do we have so far? We have experts positivly identifying this 12 inch fish as a King, an Atlantic, a coho a pink or a pinook. Now, if all of the salmonoid brethren on this board can't ID a fish after years of training and studying to become experts, how the hell would a rooky CO even be able to lay a charge?? Now if it was a carp it'd be easy! Carps is the one dat has his mouth on the wrong side of his face.

Add to that a little town bashing (armpit), a few ethics comments (lining, marshmallows, baseball bats) and you have the makings of a soon to be locked or deleted thread.

But thanks for posting. If there is no flaming, it'll stay up and eventually we'll find out what this fish really is....maybe.

And congrats on catching this ummmm...fish.

Take it to the MNR if you are 100% sure it isnt an Atlantic, my bet is you dont.

Coach with the TARD comment, catch alot of salmon, Clochick freeze it and give it to Coach to take to the MNR next time hes up here

Edited by MrMike

Take it to the MNR if you are 100% sure it isnt an Atlantic, my bet is you dont

I have a feeling that the "evidence" has been flushed into the Grand by now and is feeding the Carp and Wall-ice minnows in the Dunnville area.

Edited by Greencoachdog

LOL This thread is funny to read

Hey Clofchik my advice is chew quick, leave carcass for the skunks and say you got the picture off the internet. LOL

Man those Salmon Cops play hardball (OK may have stole that line off Johnny Fever)

Actually I heard that Salmon/Steelhead society may have it's own secret police kinda KGB ish

Ok I'll quit

Bushart

Nice little Chinook you got there.

yes, i say chinook. If you do a search on previous lake O salmon reports and see any small salmon, you will see a very dictinct 'V' in the tail.

I did a quick little search and one of the last reports that Jen made, with walleyes and salmon (which was a great report..thanks again, and keep me coming). She has a picture of three people and the young boy is holding two nice salmon, 1 large one, and one small one. If you look at the small one, its almost identical to the one in "question" here.

my two cents...i have to go back to work now.

....Actually a lot of what Clofchik says is untrue!

DSCF0012.jpg

and this one is a brown. The X shaped spot are the identifier.

Untrue?!? Untrue?!? Heh, says the guy who think browns have X-spots!

That looks like an Atlantic, if there was a shot with the tail it would be more definitive.

And the only thing I said that was untrue was about the spots on a salmons tail (coho usually only on upper half). I mixed them up on purpose just to add a little more drama in the th'd and see who'd pick up on it. As I thought not many. You guys really need to get out more.

If it's a juvenile fish with a forked tail, no spots on gill plate, but spots all over the tail.........it's a chinook.

And it tasted great pan fried in oil & butter on the side of blueberry pancakes.........mmmmmmmm.

I have been staying clear of commenting on most threads due to the fact that there are far too many that wish to bash others etc and being an owner of a shop I sometimes have to bite my tongue on some of the things that get posted here as it might reflect on my business, and today's society there are many that require us sponsors or shop owners etc to be politically correct. I know that I have posted my comments on other boards in regards to the fishing in the area and I get immediately stomped on for telling the truth. Seems that I might be hurting the area if I post the truth, however I do feel comfortable stating other wise..............just like on this thread this fish is definitely not a chinook and I feel that the thread should be locked to prevent any bashing to the angler etc.

I know that the mods are monitoring this thread closely to prevent some immature posters from starting to bash........... there might be an error here by the angler and then again there might not be. The case is that there is a proud angler that posted his catch that he caught from a pier and he felt that he harvested a chinook salmon. Sometimes it is better to send a pic to one of the mods or one of the most experienced anglers on this forum to get a correct identification if you are not sure of the species of fish. Spiel is extremely knowledgeable of the species as seen in other posts etc. so he would be a good person to contact in a case such as this. To be politically correct I then decided to side with Spiel so that I would not receive flamed emails as I have in the past.

It is time to lock this thread and move on and to side on the politically correct nice salmon, (I do know what species this is).

Regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam