Would you go fishing in this?

markiemark70

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...nkEnabled=false

I am thinking about getting one of these and a trolling motor to fish some small ponds. But my question is, how likely is it that I will puncture it with a hook? Has anyone ever used one? I would love to get a real fishing boat, and my wife & I plan to, but right now we would have nowhere to store it, so this looks like a convenient short term solution.

Any thoughts?

I'm with Danbo on this one. Get a canoe or even a smaller John boat. I do alot of fishing in the ponds around London so I got a little experience on the subject. I'm hard on equipment and I'm not so sure an dingy would of stood up to my clumbsyness like the canoe has all these years let alone all the sharp point stuff that you find around the edges of these ponds.

Good Luck !!

For that price, you're much better off getting a canoe. A used one don't cost that much. I have seen some that go as low as $100-150, it might be old and doesn't look good, but as long as it floats and is in good physical condition it should be alright.

You can either find a square-sterned canoe or add a motor mount so you can put on a trolling motor.

In 2000-2001 I lived in an apartment for a year. My big boat was in my Mother's garage 30 or 40 miles away, and it was buried under last years the Xmas decorations etc...grin.

For quick fishing trips I bought a 9 ft. inflatable. These are wonderful seaworthy little craft. Most lifeboats are now inflatables and the Police and Rescue people use them because they are virtually unsinkable.

The one I had was a Zodiac with a hard floor. Mine cost about $1200.00 I put a 5Hp outboard on it and it was a great fishing boat for one or two people. These boats are much better to fish from than a canoe or kayak. Inflatables are almost impossible to capsize. You generally sit on the sides of the boat not on the seats. The seats are like the thwarts in a canoe, they keep the sides from pinching in.

The whole thing packed into two bags that fit in the trunk of my Camry. I took mine out on Lake Erie, another member, who is no longer active here, used his all around the Kawarthas and spent a lot of time camping with it on the Moon River.

The one in the picture is a low-end dingy. I would look at brands like Avon and Zodiac. These are the big names and you get what you pay for.

Edited by garry2rs

well if you're going to be fishing alone,only have a car and have minimal storage at home, nothing beats the comfort and STABILITY of a personal pontoon boat. And other than 2 straps you won't need anything else to transport it. You can either soup it up like I did with some simple mods, or leave it as is and transport it in your trunk, assembling it on site. Personally, I prefer the mods which are relatively inexpensive, the motor being the most costly part. There's no need to buy a $200 roof rack for the car because the pontoons are plenty soft enough to strap it on the roof.

Before the Mods:

med_gallery_133_237_54247.jpg

Post Mods:

gallery_133_237_113311.jpg

gallery_133_237_53606.jpg

gallery_133_237_20683.jpg

gallery_133_237_76863.jpg

gallery_133_237_24711.jpg

I fish an 80 acre lake and can go end to end in 10 to 15 minutes. and

have caught many fish from my little tuner!

Next boat is a Bass Boat! heh couple years before that's in the budget.

Good luck whichever way you go!

I have the exact boat and have had it for amost 10 years. It's much more stable to fish out of than a canoe, and is easy to transport and inflate. As for the hooks, yes you have to watch it but the material is peretty tough and it's easy to patch with the kit they provide ....could even do it on the water. It has 3 different air chambers so evenif you get a hole in 1 the others will keep you afloat. I put a 12v electric trolling motor on mine and it works great. It's fantastic for drifting down rivers that have lots of private property.

They are great for pond fishing and much lighter than a canoe. They are tough double PVC lined. Don't jam your hooks right into it, just be careful, be minimal on how much tackle you bring and keep it all organized.

My buddy fished out of one for 3 years on his local lake and did really well from it. Not to mention that thing really flies with an electric motor on it.

I have a canoe and have fished from it. I made a home made stabilizing arm and I'm not 100% comfortable fishing in it. It's also not easy to put on top of your car after a long day of fishing if you are alone.

If space is an issue (if you are in an apartment and have no room for a canoe), then get what is best suited for you. I've looked at inflatables and would love one to use in local areas where boat launches are not readily available.