Engine problems

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Was out with BBR on Erie today and had some boat problems. My boat would be going full speed 28-30 MPH and then it would sound like its choking and only do about 7.3 MPH MAX. I called a Marina guy to see if he could fix it, but he was busy. He said it may be a fuel issue or spark plugs. I checked the spark plugs and they look fine to me. The gas seems to be working, but I think that piece that connects to the gas tank at the end of the hose may be faulty. Would an Impeler mal-function cause the engine to act like that?

Rich says it sounds like the engine is running on one cylinder. And for me to clean the carb.

I noticed the problem at the beginning of the season with the old gas from the previous year. Then when I went to Nipissing and it rained heavy, I may have gotten water in the gas tanks, and it started up again.

I'm going to take it in somewhere tomorrow to get it fixed. Hopefully it wont cost me too much.

Guest Johnny Bass
DEfective spark plug is a possibility JB.They can look good, but sometimes there is hair line crack in ceramics or other problem to cause them act up on higher temp. How old they are?

Don't know. they came with the boat so at least 3 years old. How often should you replace spark plugs? And which ones are the best to get?

I like to replace my spark plugs every season... cheap insurance!!!

Replacing the fuel line isn't that expensive and is more insurance.

It does sounds like your carbs are gummed up, check everything else and if it's still on the fritz you'll have it narrowed down.

Guest Johnny Bass
I like to replace my spark plugs every season... cheap insurance!!!

Replacing the fuel line isn't that expensive and is more insurance.

It does sounds like your carbs are gummed up, check everything else and if it's still on the fritz you'll have it narrowed down.

I'm changing the plugs tomorrow.

How do you fix a gummed up carb?

Edited by Johnny Bass

Don't know. they came with the boat so at least 3 years old. How often should you replace spark plugs? And which ones are the best to get?

Definitely it is time to change them, Some do it every year (they are not expensive). Personally I consider it unnecesary, but with age they start loosing their performance (electrode erosion) Cracked ceramic is particularly dangerous, because broken piece can seriously damage cylinder and piston. At least 3 years ? way too much for my liking.

Which one to get? Just find on the net what is for your engine, some of then can be bought at CTC, others definitely from dealer. Do not go for "the best", you are not racing on the water aren't you ?

Edited by keram

Guest Johnny Bass
Definitely it is time to change them, Some do it every year (they are not expensive). Personally I consider it unnecesary, but with age they start loosing their performance (electrode erosion) Cracked ceramic is particularly dangerous, because broken piece can seriously damage cylinder and piston. At least 3 years ? way too much for my liking.

Which one to get? Just find on the net what is for your engine, some of then can be bought at CTC, others definitely from dealer. Do not go for "the best", you are not racing on the water aren't you ?

Bernie the fuel tank vents are always open. Never close them.

Thanks for the advice keram. Will get some cheap ones. I have some spare in the boat but will feel better with new ones.

I'll start with the basics and if that doesn't work, I will bring it in.

could be the plugs.

But I ran into a similar problem last year with my Mercury DFI. I ran old gas through the lines which clogged the Feul Filter at top speed. When the engine would rev at a high RPM it seemed to just putter out. Similiar to your issue. Depending if your engineis 2stroke or 4stroke bad gas can cause some nasty problems. Id take a look in that direction as well.

I dunno, but it sounds like either your carb is getting blocked, or your gas line is messed up where it connects. When it starts stalling, did you try opening the choke? If it goes again when you pull the choke, its starved for fuel.....

Could be a lot of other things too though......spark would be the next try.

Sinker

Seafoam is a GREAT product.WHen it was stored for the winter did get winterrized?

The best way to ungum your carb is to take it off.And break in down.You'll mostlikey find powder at the bottom.They are a very simple carb and easy to take apart if your handy.

What year is the motor?

Newer models have safety stuff that will detect probs and not let you run it full open.

Is is shooting out water for cooling? I had a motor that had a impeller on it's way out.And the Merc would not run full out.

Start with plugs.And don't trust the gap outta the box.Find out what the gap is and set it.

Is your ball/pump staying hard,with preasure.

On a 2 stroke motor the best thing to start with is the easy stuff.Spark,fuel,& fuel preasure.

And old gas is a NO NO, unless it's been treated with staybile.

Its definetly time for plugs anyway so I'll join that chorus. Change plugs and fuel filter, look for restriction blocking line. Next time running see if the ball is collapsing at WOT, and hand choke the carb to see if it momentarily picks up revs.....squeeze the bulb also to see if it revs when struggling.

I'm thinking gunked up carbs and fuel filter, as gas evaporates it leaves varnish. You may get lucky and dislodge it with carb/choke cleaner aeresol if thats the prob-much better to pull carbs and clean/rebuild if that is the case.

Be careful, best way to hole out a piston is to run a 2 stroke lean-and thats effectively what your doing if its fuel starved.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if its gas starved. We tried pumping up the ball but it didn't do anything. When I stop it and rev it with the primer, she goes, but not at full(at least it doesn't sound like it.)

It could be that bad batch of gas. Hopefully its the spark plugs. If worse comes to worse, I will bring it in and change the impeller and the gas filter. Is there any other low maintenance tips?

How much would it cost to replace the fuel line?

What make outboard is it? I had a similar problem with my Johnson 50 hp. The problem would come and go and to avoid a long story I ended up talking to the a dealer and was told the wiring harness was being pinched behind a board on the side of the motor. The wire was from the overtemp sensor and when it grounded out it shuts off a cylinder. Just something to keep in mind after checking all of the obvious could bees.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks. Went to Bass pro and they have no spark plugs. They were in a meeting and I was told they mostly work on their own sales and Merc engines.

Went to Canadian tire and they didn't have the spark plugs either.

Does anyone know a Yamaha dealer in the Area?(North York).

To see if it's a fuel problem, disconnect the fuel line from the carb, pump the primer bulb to see if you have a good flow (be sure to put the end of the hose in something to catch the gas). If the flow is good then crank the motor over to check the flow again to see if the fuel pump is working. If the flow isn't good when doing that then check the diaphragm in the fuel pump. Any small hole or crack in the diaphragm will give you problems. If you replace the diaphragm replace the check valves while you are at it.

To clean the carb it's best to remove it to clean it. If you don't want to go through all that try putting some Seafoam in the gas. That stuff works great for getting carbs clean & removing carbon build-up. Another cleaner you can try is Valvtect De-Carb or Carbon Free. The Valvtec stuff cost twice as much as the Seafoam but it works great as well. Most auto places should carry Seafoam.

If the problem isn't fuel related then it's probably a bad power pack, rectifiers (not on all O/B's), or ignition coil.

Edited by Zib

Guest Johnny Bass
To see if it's a fuel problem, disconnect the fuel line from the carb, pump the primer bulb to see if you have a good flow (be sure to put the end of the hose in something to catch the gas). If the flow is good then crank the motor over to check the flow again to see if the fuel pump is working. If the flow isn't good when doing that then check the diaphragm in the fuel pump. Any small hole or crack in the diaphragm will give you problems. If you replace the diaphragm replace the check valves while you are at it.

To clean the carb it's best to remove it to clean it. If you don't want to go through all that try putting some Seafoam in the gas. That stuff works great for getting carbs clean & removing carbon build-up. Another cleaner you can try is Valvtect De-Carb or Carbon Free. The Valvtec stuff cost twice as much as the Seafoam but it works great as well. Most auto places should carry Seafoam.

If the problem isn't fuel related then it's probably a bad power pack, rectifiers (not on all O/B's), or ignition coil.

Holy smokes! Its more complicated than I thought!

I asked and its $150 to clean out the carb! And its another 130 to change the impeler!And its another $100-$200 to replace the fuel line, maintenance the fuel filter,ect,...

Now I have to add diaphragm! :blink:

I think Spark plugs and sea foam sound pretty good right about now!

I phoned another CT and they have cheapos for $4, where as the marina wants $9 each for NGK! I think the more expensive ones may last longer????

Edited by Johnny Bass