Ofn Tips

holdfast

As a kid I used to enjoy Taps Tips in one of the Yankee Magazines. I would like to see a thread where we have picked up tips that work so we all can learn and use. I will start with a few that have worked for me

- Boil Patatoes and use the water to shine your spoons and spinners

- if you have a coil that came off your spinning reel prematurely tighten the drag and pull it till it untangles or take the spool off and flip it then pull the line out

-nail polish and thread for guide wrappings

-Twisted spinning line, troll with nothing on it till it settles

-Tie a long rope between (vehical and boat) then free launch ( by yourself)

-Test drag using the rod

-red lenses to catch nite crawlers

-for portageing and fishing carry a netted (Laundry) bag (with a rock its an instant anchor)

-Garbage bag inside packs to keep clothes dry. Keep wood dry. Pail and bag its a sh##tter.

- cheap tarp over tent extra dry precaution

any more

A hot water bottle tossed in your sleeping bag 1/2 an hour before bed will keep you toasty on a cool night until you fall asleep. Of course you'll have to boil some water over the fire at night (dark) so be careful.

I've posted this before but you can turn your canoe into a mean trolling vessel aka 'meat boat' quite easily. First get 2 arc welding rods and bend 'em into a U shape. Duct tape (red green style) one U to the inside of the gunnel wall and the other to the opposite side 1 to 2 feet in front of your seated position. Insert rod in U's perpindicular to canoe (9-10 foot rod is ideal). Let out line. Wait. Fish on!

Corn Nug

Edited by Corn Nug

To weigh a large fish that you want to release bring along that digital bathroom scale.When you bring in that monster .Hold the fish horizontally step on the scale record weight release the fish.Get back on the scale and you do the math.No need to hook the fish with a scale and hold it vertically.I guess this would be good for Muskie fishing.Mike :angel:

:unsure:

...and you wonder why you can't get a women in your boat Mike! :unsure:

No problem getting women in the boat Wayne just can't get the most important women in my life to like fishing.I have spoken to her about hippnocess.2 daughters love it and now my sister has discovered fishing .No problem.

:rolleyes:

When we camp we prepare something ahead of time and freeze it in large zip lock bags (Spaghetti sauce, chilli, some soups etc....). We use it to help cool the rest of the food down in the cooler. We boil water on the stove/fire and place the bag inside to heat it up. This way the pot doesn't get dirty and you can use the hot water to wash up other dishes/cutlery! Saves time and fresh water.

Hey Mike

Bring a bathroom Scale????????

I think you been in the Big Bird suit to long

anyway you might as well leave the bathroom scale at home and bring a gram scale cause the chances of you getting anything in the boat over 10kg is slim to nil UNLESS YOU COUNT CANOES

How do you vertical hold a canoe and do the people inside count as weight

Peter

Hey Mike

Bring a bathroom Scale????????

I think you been in the Big Bird suit to long

anyway you might as well leave the bathroom scale at home and bring a gram scale cause the chances of you getting anything in the boat over 10kg is slim to nil UNLESS YOU COUNT CANOES

How do you vertical hold a canoe and do the people inside count as weight

Peter

Pete you are too much fun I look forward to our next fishing trip together.Thanks you made me laugh!

Paul has a "fix all" kit that he brings camping, which includes a cool little tool (don't know what its called) that cuts pipe (a pipe cutter maybe :dunno: ) and it has come in handy so many times when either we or other campers have broken a tent or gazebo pole. He just attaches this device, makes it go around the pole and it cuts it off evenly, then gets the good old duct tape out. He also brings extra poles from our old tent and gazebo and has had to cut them to size for the ones we've broken or forgotten. Handy little tool for sure.

Joey

An old used milk carton can be a very handy thing to have around. I cut a hole in the bottom and you now have a porta potty. Cut a piece of plywood to fit the bottom and you have a very sturdy container to carry your fragile equipment in.

HH