Native fish market up and running

Spiel

Native fish market up and running - VIDEO (add your thoughts)

June 27, 2008

Dave Dale / nugget.ca

Business was brisk at the Old Chief Fish Market Friday afternoon as hungry customers bought fresh Lake Nipissing walleye harvested by Nipissing First Nation members in the morning.

"This is excellent," said Diana Perry as she picked up $26 worth of walleye for supper, with a few fillets wrapped for the freezer.

This is the first time the native community has sold fish through a cooperative business model regulated by its own laws and conservation plan.

In years past, individual fishers and families operated commercial entities without provincial health inspections of their facilities that allow restaurant resale.

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources said it supports the retail fish market approach, with the understanding that all of the fish are from registered commercial fishermen.

--------------------------------------------------

Walleye quota explained by biologist

June 27, 2008

Dave Dale / nugget.ca

The Nipissing First Nation operates it commercial fishing activities with a quota system based on a sustainable Lake Nipissing walleye fishery.

Richard Rowe, Nipissing's fisheries department biologist, said the native commercial and substistence harvest and non-native angling estimate will not exceed two thirds of the lake's sustainable level.

VIEW VIDEO (add your thoughts)

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!!

NET THE FISH TO FEED YOUR FAMILY.....IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE ....NOT TO MAKE PROFIT AND TURN AROUND AND BUY STEAK AT LOEB!!!

NEXT THING YOU KNOW THERE'LL BE A MOOSE AND DEER MARKET RIGHT BESIDE THE FISH MARKET....

WHERE'S ALL THE PIKE, BASS , MUSKIES, AND COARSE FISH??? THERE NOT FOR SALE I'LL BET!!

JUST WALLEYE & MAYBE WHITEFISH?

THERE IN THE DUMP OFF OF HWY 17... MOOZE OR MUUKWA MIIKUN ROAD...which one I forget.

RANDY [ NORTH SHORE OF LAKE NIPISSING] FROM STURGEON.

:canadian::wallbash:

The market price this week is $14 a pound or just over $3 per 100 grams.

One group bought more than $200 worth of fillets for an impromptu fish fry for 30 people at the workplace.

taken from the NORTH BAY NUGGET.

HOW MANY WALLEYE DOES IT TAKE TO FEED 30 PEOPLE??????

ARE THESE FISH IN THE SLOT SIZE ???? DOES THIS MEAN THAT IF I WANNA EAT A 22" WALLEYE

I'LL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT? IF I KEEP ONE AND GET CAUGHT YOU BET I'LL PAY FOR IT!!!

A HECK OF A LOT MORE THAN BUYING IT A THE MARKET !!!

THIS IS VERY VERY BAD NEWS FOR NIPISSING....YOU'LL HAVE PEOPLE FROM ALL AROUND COMING TO BUY FRESH WALLEYE....TERRIBLE.

:wallbash: :wallbash:

As much as I have an issue with Native's etc (only the ones breaking the laws and not getting charged). I actually think this may be a good thing.

It brings it out into the open, makes fish management more transparent. This type of activity has been going on in the past but behind doors.

The Natives need to get more involved in the activites and business you just can't have them sitting on a reserve with no sourse of income.

Maybe its a good thing, natives managing a resourse that affects there income. Or I just could be looking at the brighter side of life.. :(

Yep you're looking at the brighter side of things...

According to the MNR Nipissing just got back up on it's feet in the past few years after near depletion.... now they've gone and broken it's legs...what a pity.

If the market sells 1 walleye for 8 $ .... the REBEL NATIVE will sell his his for 5$ thus causing a

black market for Walleye... I know this is already being done and has been for decades...

I surprised that none of our members aren't raising a bigger stink about this topic.

Randy.

Randy, These threads generally go down hill... as history dictates... People just cannot seem to leave their hate off the board. I am surprised that this thread has not exploded to be honest.. If this thread was in the general discussion area it would have probably been deleted by now...

That said, While I do not agree with what is happening, I would rather see it out in the open and transparent then what has been happening in the past.....

This is not good for the Lake Nipissing fishery... but then again I would like to see a halt on ice fishing operators on Nipissing as well for 5 years.... so perhaps my thinking is skewed

G

~~~A very bad idea, they argue that they only catch the phish to feed their familiy, now they can sell their over flow, there's no quota. I been on Lake Simcoe ice phishen, and natives come buy and try and sell Lake Trout for $5. each, give them an inch, and they will drain the lake of phish, I wonder what Pike is going for on the Black Market.

Edited by oldphart

Ya it sucks allright,ITS JUST PLAIN WRONG !!!! if they want to live in the modern world and have all the modern things they should do it the way we do if not go back to living in the woods then net & spear all you want !!!! this is 2008 it should be one way or the other .... :wallbash::dunno::angry:

• 6 months later...

I know that a number of lodges pay into a fish stocking program on Nippissing. This just negates their efforts to rebuild the fishery and sustain their businesses.

Of course, ill will tween the one band and some lodges has existed for some time.