Patsy' Lakair Report

Rich Clemens

After a year-long (very long) wait, we headed north again for my second Lakair OFC GTG and my wife's first. I must say that I have been looking forward to this, since last year. Met a lot of great folks last year and was really surprised at how many names I actually remembered. For me, that is an accomplishment. One highlight was to meet everyone again and had the privilege of meeting quite a few new members. This is one great get-together and everyone really knows how to make a newcomer feel welcome and part of the group.

Another highlight was to bring Patsy and our two girls along and everyone had a great time. We're already looking forward to 2009. This was the first real trip for Kia (my new Airedale), so we really didn't know what to expect. Of course, her first trip down to the dock, she starts carrying on, and right off the side of the dock she goes. Thanks to Joe for helping pull her out. She is a lousy swimmer and most likely scared the living crap out of her ... and me too. Both dogs did very well on the 12 hour trip and and while we were on the boat, typically lying down and taking a snooze. Kia really seemed to open up with everyone and had a great time. Gradually we did get her coached to walk into the water a bit.

We caught a few fish here and there, but we spent most of the time in search of the elusive musky. Hit the water pretty hard for 5 days once the season started, but never seen one. Patsy had never caught a walleye/pickerel, so she wanted to catch one. Patsy did manage a 12" Wallye and was pretty excited with her first. We had him for supper our last day. Later on, she nailed a very nice 17 incher (pic included). Of course, this was in the slot, so I had to break the news that we had to let it go.

To say I was out fished is an understatement. Two or three of the days, Patsy put more fish in the boat than I did. Oh well, at least someone was catching and I did get to take them off the hook. Normally, at the other places we go on the French, she is lucky to catch just one or two fish. At Lakair, she caught a whole lot more - so of course she wants to come back. I think John was experiencing the same thing with Barb along (great folks the both of them). Hey John ... next year you and I will go out and we'll let the ladies back in camp. See if we can improve our luck. :rolleyes:

Tuesday, my trolling motor crapped out. Wayne took a look at it (which I greatly appreciate) and figured I had a broken wire in the main cable. I could troll right all I wanted - but could not go straight ahead or to the left. This kinds shot our focused fishing as it was quite windy Tuesday and Wednesday. Spent the days just drifting across the cabbage beds in the west bay.

Anyway, if was a great time catching up with old friends and making new ones. I ended up taking about 110 pictures, so I'll just put up a few. Of course - there is only one of me. But - to the better fisher woman goes all the credit.

Looking forward to our two weeks on the lower French in September and hope to see you all again next year. You all a fantastic bunch of guys and gals.

gallery_296_59_15538.jpg

gallery_296_59_43211.jpg

gallery_296_59_39420.jpg

gallery_296_59_22177.jpg

gallery_296_59_83594.jpg

gallery_296_59_57723.jpg

gallery_296_59_23868.jpg

gallery_296_59_42530.jpg

gallery_296_59_11831.jpg

gallery_296_59_14860.jpg

gallery_296_59_37821.jpg

Edited by Rich Clemens

Hey Rich it was great to meet you again and of course Patsy and the girls. Barbara and I were about even for the 5 days, neither one of us did very well.

If the trolling motor is a MinnKota I can almost bet it is a circuit board problem.

Will take you up on your suggestion for next year.

Have a great time on the lower French, it is one of my favourite places.

If the trolling motor is a MinnKota I can almost bet it is a circuit board problem.

It is indeed a Minn Kota. While Wayne was messin' with it, he jiggled the wire near the top and it would kick in and move in the other direction, where normally it would not. I'll have see what my options are about getting it fixed or just by a new one.

Guest Johnny Bass

There are a lot of wives out fishing their husbands!lol Gotta love fishing. A fun sport for everyone!

Thanks for sharing.

Rich, it was great to see you again, fine lookin pups you brought along. They will always be welcome.

Big thanks to Patsy for running Quality Control on the filleting before our Saturday fish fry. She knows her way around a fillet, that's for sure. Please let her know that I didn't find or see anyone find a single y bone in their dinner. Good job.

Rich, it was great seeing you and Patsy. I'm glad we got a few moments to chat at Wayne's cabin on Monday night.

Looking forward to seeing you both next year.

As you know we also had a hard time finding the elusive musky. They are there, they just didn't come out to play this year (except for Lew of course :D ).

Great pictures and that is a beauty pickerel Patsy caught :thumbsup_anim:

Joey