Thunder storms + bass opener = Waste of time?

BillM

I am hoping to get out on Little/Gloucester this weekend for the bass opener. I'll be throwing for muskie while the oldman wants to catch bass, lol. The weather for the most partt is going to be horrible, anyone else think that they'll be washing lures all day or is it just me?

I don't mind fishing in the rain, but the thoughts of doing it all day without decent odds of catching fish makes it even worse :)

Some of my best fishing has occured in downpours, or light rains. For weather forecasts, I've learned to completely ignore them. I use my common sense, knowledge of the clouds, to make my own predictions which are usually at least as accurate as theirs.

I always prepare for downpour, and hope for the best, this way the weather doesn't affect me. I look forward to some rain.

I don't mind fishing in the rain, but the thoughts of doing it all day without decent odds of catching fish makes it even worse :)

What are your odds of catching a musky if you stay home Bill ??

Go fish'n with your Dad & have a great day....forget about the odds :Gonefishing:

As long as the disco lights stay away, I will be on the boat throwing lures. I can fish in the rain. I am not going to waste a long overdue weekend off sitting inside. Even the sound of my reel screamming as I get snagged on a log is going to get me excited. Now put on your rainsuit, cause that's what they're for, and go get wet.

Apparently people who go by barometric pressure says that it goes up before/during a storm and turns on the fish ... after the storm has passed, pressure drops and the action would slow down ...

However, if there's thunder ... you'd be better off staying home i guess ...

I just called the old man and told him we are hitting the water rain or shine Sat. He said 'ok' :) :)

Thanks for the motivation guys, I don't know if I am in a slump or what, I think all that time tossing lures for ski's in the French got me down a bit.

Hey we all get in slumps. It'll be a great day to get out and fish with your dad, shoot the breeze and feel that drip drip drip down the back of your neck. I'm heading out with two rainsuits for the weekend expecting the worse. If the sun comes out and I land a whopper, that'll just put the icing on the cake.

Enjoy your day of peace on the water.

I find those times I'm going out not expecting anything are often the best days. So hell yeah get out there - just make sure you can get off the water quickly if a bad storm comes blowing in (play safe and all that).

Guest Johnny Bass

I don't know! Its calling for 5-10 mm!! And they call that Thunder showers???Make sure your bilge pump is working!!!!And on top? Lightning! Lets hope there is no hail!!

The good news is that it doesn't seem to be a cold front. Other than it being uncomfortable, the fishing should be good.

I'll probably head out Monday, so leave me some bass to catch!

Bill two summers ago I was out with ron on Lake X and we hada great 4 hours of down pour I think we had two in the boat maybe three but we saw 11 in total with hookups and follows I would be out tomorrow but here on LSC if we have the 25KPH West wind they are calling for I will be at home as the 4-5' waves are not fun on this lake. It would be nice to have some water to fish in the heavey blowing windy days but LSC is not gonna be one for us. I think I might hit Barnies Boats in Earieau they have a huge sale tomorrow and a boat demo day along with FREE hot dogs for the kiddies.

In more than half of my PB photos, I'm wearing a rainsuit. I've already lost 2 rods to lightning (one was an actual lightning rod made by Berkley) so I know what that's about. When your rod emits a buzzing sound as you point it to the sky, that's a good time to quit.

Well I decided to drown my sorrows with a couple of Panther Martins in a local trout stream.

Flicked a 7/64th ounce besides a log that was right below me and low and behold a monster brownie comes shooting out, grabs the spinner and the battle is on!! I had to get a bit wet, but I had 20inches of beauty, just shy of 2lbs on the bank besides me. The hook was taken out and she went back in as soon as possible. I sat there on the bank with the biggest grin on my face I've had in a while.

Biggest fish before this that I've caught in this stream was maybe 8 inches. What a night!