New PB Crappie

jediangler

After walking my little one to school this morning, I went to Guelph lake conservation area with my kayak.

http://www.grandriver.ca/index/document.cf...=126&sub2=0

I put in the water at 11am and fished until 3pm. My biggest crappie ever (13.5") was caught there about 12 yrs ago, and I'd seen bigger ones caught there by others. I had a game plan, or milk run, that I hoped would give me the best chance to hook up with a big slab with minimal paddling. The young woman at the gatehouse told me a guy caught a 38" pike near the dam on Monday and released it. I wasn't going to be tempted. I started in the creek arms and was alarmed to see three osprey nesting platforms were toppled.

nestbox.jpg

I was using a 1/16oz jig & grub combo in black and picked up numerous small perch, 2 oos smallmouth under 12" and one good sized WGSF. Moving out of the creek arms I switched up to a white jig & grub combo, still at 1/16oz, and worked an area I had spotted several winters ago. I used to go out New Years day for a lake bottom walk with my brother, or other fishin buddies, to scout potential spots. After getting 2 more rockbass, I finally got what I came for.

14crappie.jpg

Once I saw it my heart started pumping like when I get a musky on. It was hooked in the roof of the mouth and fought like mad, even turning the kayak 180 degrees. It measured 14" and was released. It was also the first fish I've kissed this year. :rolleyes: While finishing my run I picked up a few more perch and one hammer handle pike. All in all a good variety of species and a new PB while enjoying my first week of holidays this summer.