Maiden Voyage on the boat!

Victor

On Saturday, My dad and I took my "girlfriend #2" out for the first time. Knowing that I'm a university student with limited funds, BPSBASSMAN has offered me some boat equipment to help get started. We dropped by BPS in the morning to meet with Roger and picked up a few things in the store. Thank you again Roger, I promise to pass on the act of kindness to another OFNer one day. We also made a stop at McD to get some breakfast and the gas station on the way, didn't waste too much time and we're on the road again. I did go the wrong way at one point and wasted about 30 minutes of fishing time but we finally made it to the launch at 11:30am. We planned to go later in the day so that we would avoid the lineup at the boat launch and we can take our time as it's our first time. Made sure the plug was in, trailer lights unplgged, I slowly backed the boat in, got'er in the water. We took it slow and everything was smooth, it'd be much quicker next time.

We tested out the motor and the trolling motor, everything ran great and I was quite happy with the speed at WOT considering that I have only been in a rental. I was hoping to tie into a few pikes today so we started trolling with some crankbaits. My motor seemed to die when I tried to troll at very low speed, it idles fine but when I put it in forward gear it would just stop. It does go pretty slow already but I wanted to try even slower. We trolled for half an hour or so to no avail so we anchored at a quiet bay and ate our lunch. My dad decided to use put on a worm and I kept casting my spinners looking for mr.pike. Not too long after he dropped his rig he landed the first fish, it's a small one but we HAVE to take a picture of the first one :D.

IMG_4200.jpg

I rarely see such a big smile on my dad's face in fishing pics.

That little bay is loaded with panfish and my dad was nailing them, all little ones though. They're even hitting my #4 mepps, just can't hook up since the hook is too big. I decided to bring out the small tubes just to catch a fish ... i haven't caught one in almost a month. Within seconds, here's my first fish in my "girlfriend #2"

Again, a small one but I've got to take a pic lol.

IMG_4201.jpg

We scouted various spots and tried fishing at different depths, I casted spinnerbaits, spinners, cranks ... and no pike. It is a bit disappointing but we did hook into a few good sized WGSF.

IMG_4205.jpg

Look at the muscle power in my arm needed to lip this one. :whistling:

IMG_4203.jpg

We fished till 7pm and decided to call it a day. Putting the trailer back onto the boat was also a smooth one, we got hammered by the mosquitoes though. I've gotta be doing something wrong with finding mr.pike ... but o well, there's always next time. I blame the barometric pressure as the clearing of the storm increased the pressure :whistling: ... but then seeing JohnnyBass/Sinker did well on the same day that kinda just shut me up lol.

I'll be sure to find a big one to slime up the boat next time out! Since everyone takes one of these pics I'll end the report with one ...

IMG_4207.jpg

Congrats on your first voyage and at least you got fish slime in the boat :thumbsup_anim: Learning to fish from a boat feels like learning to fish all over again....at least to me anyway lol

Many more trips and pics in your future!!

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent report and congrats on the smooth maiden voyage. Sounds like everything went well.

Victor. It takes time to learn to read the water. When your fishing from shore, your basically at the spot. The fish are either there or you have to wait for the fish to come to you. In a boat, there is so much water to cover that it is hard to find the fish. They say that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. The trick is finding that 10%. I've only had my boat for a few seasons and have still a lot to learn. You will eventually figure the fish out.

If you want pike? Find fresh green weeds 7-10FOW. You can go shallower early in the morning or late in the evening. Weed flats are great. And weed lines are even better. If you don't catch any, move around. Chances are if the Pike are around, they hammer the baits right away. Good luck!

Awesome report Victor! Glad to hear the launch went well...I was a little nervous the first time I launched as well. As for the slime....it'll come....the muskie I caught was the first non panfish sized fish we'd boated in about 6 outings!!

Great seeing you out there with your Dad....looks like you had a great day.

Like Johnny Bass said, it takes lots of time to figure out a lake. Keep in mind, I've been fishing the lake we fished for 20 years......beleive me, I've spent lots of fishless days to figure out where to be, and when to be there. It will all come together in time.

Focus on weeds. Find an edge, and fish will be there.

Sinker

Great post Victor,

its sweet having a boat...enjoy!!! I only got my boat last summer, never had a boat before either always fished from shore. LOL....i always pray there is nobody at launches cuz i'm the newbie boat guy who cant reverse a trailer for the life of me...but i'm getting better.

once again, great post...judging by your previous posts on here wont be long before you adjust and are slammin' the fish...by the way...looks like a great boat from the little views of it in the pic...everything ya need.

PS...i will still leave the boat behind and head ofF shore fishing even though we are on the lake,,,guess old habits die hard.

Edited by limeyangler

Thank you for the replies guys! I'm going to keep trying until I get one ... hope to have a report with more fish next time!

Roger: the boat cover is alittle wide I think but it will do great for storage. Thanks!

Totally awesome Vic! Congrats on Christening it.

Take your girlfriend #1 along next time...You can have a three-some :thumbsup_anim:

2 rods each in Lake O for carp.LOL I know Wolfville is thinking about it already.

Edited by MJL

Congrats on the first voyage, a smooth one too. I'm not thinking about 2 rods in lake O, but if you ever want to ditch your Technium you know my number ;-)

I wish I will have the chance to fish with my Dad, it's not something that comes easy. Enjoy it !