muskies were quiet, then aggressive

lew

Like everyone else I spose, we got blasted with that huge electrical storm on Friday night so I figured it would shut the fish down for Saturday morning and sure enough, I never even saw a fish, at least not a musky.

I didn't bother heading out early and never got on the water till around 7 yesterday morning and fished for about 4 hours, but never even had a follow, although I got a nice largemouth in a back bay but that was it and I headed back in for some lunch.

I hung around the trailer for a few hours and worked on the honey-do list, then my daughter and I headed back out around 3 o'clock and by then the muskies had turned on and become really aggressive compared to the morning.

I got the 1st musky in a weedflat casting a black / chartreuse bucktail, then switched over to a large yellow / red spinner bait and had another hit awhile later but never hooked up.

I moved up the lake aways and had a follow from an aggressive fish but couldn't get her to hit on a figure 8 and she took off back to where she came from, so I threw the spinnerbait back at her and sure enough she followed it in again and this time she hammered it right beside the boat.....that's always a blast when they do that :thumbsup_anim:

I hung around there for awhile but nothing was happening so I moved again and this time had a musky do what I don't recall ever seeing before. I was cranking in the same spinnerbait and about 30 feet out from the boat she blasted outta the water like a cruise missile, went about 3' in the air completely missing the bait, did a cartwheel in the air and when she hit the water, she turned and chased the bait again, and just like the last fish, she nailed it just as I was going into a figure 8 :lol:

Sheri & I were both laffing so hard I could hardly grab the fish to un-clip her hahaha

I had to get my boat ready for the upcoming Lakair trip so I only went out for 2 hours early this morning. I was casting another favorite weed flat and got a largemouth around 3 pounds or so and then just before I was gonna head in I got another nice musky while twitching a Double D in 10 FOW over a cabbage patch so that was a good way to end the morning before heading back in for a great Fathers Day breakfast on the deck.

So the weekends fishing turned out pretty good with 4 nice muskies in the boat plus a few missed ones, a couple good largemouths, and best of all, spending time fishing with my daughter, which is always great, specially on Fathers Day !! :thumbsup_anim:

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend as much as I did :Gonefishing:

Great report lew !!!!...sounds like you did ok,for only fishin a couple of hours,sure is a great way to spend fathers day out chasin muskies !!!!...and funny you should say that last week just hours after a thunder storm i was walleye fishing on scugog and i hit 3 small muskies all under 30inches or so,they were very agressive thats for sure,maybe thats a pattern to remember that after a t-storm head out for some musky fishing and they might be very active....i think i will try it again....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Guest gbfisher

Nice to hear yer into fish there Lew. Im still on pics right now and doing well. Great dinners this time of year lol. Be a few weeks yet till I can get out for some vishus fishus.... :Gonefishing:

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report! Good to hear the Muskys have been co-operating!

I seen a Pike do that on a wood chopper(top water lure)! Right outta the water, flipped in the air and missed, only it didn't come after the bait again. Was exciting to watch!

Great story lew, even without pics. I dream of fishing like that. My musky dates are usually planned 2 weeks ahead, so I really don't know exactly where I'm going, till I see the weather the night before. If I could get up and fish musky every day, I'd gladly take a skunking 8 out of 10 times.

Thanks fellas, my daughter got bitten by the musky bug about 3 years ago and has now become one of my regular partners in the boat and it's always a blast when she gets one, infact I'd rather she gets the fish than me. :thumbsup_anim: