JOBS

Pachone

A meathead for 25 years, (MP) and another 10 years as one of their civilian 911 dispatchers, then my cup ran over dealing with the retards of the world, my cat's up the tree...quit buying cheap catfood, she's pouting, ever see a cat carcass in the trees, no, they eventually fall down from hunger. 911, there's a racoon giving birth in the tree, can you contact the MNR(10:30pm) right away, leave the damm coon alone, they have been doing it without human interference for thousands of years. 911, someone stole my underwear, were you wearing them? No they were in the dryer, unattended personal Queens kit eh? Go compain to your Seargeant-Major in the morning, he'll rip you a new "O" ring for bothering us. Major snowstorm, can you go check the road to Barrie for my wife, she had to go for a coffee at Timmies, buddy, you should have your wife certified for Penetang, maybe check yourself in for having let her go on the roads in that weather. 5:30 am, Midland PD,(maybe it was Midland OPP) ya there's a UFO in the eastern sky, and what would you like me to do, have you certified for Penetang too, hell, it's just a couple of klicks up the road, go book yourself in, (planet Venus). And after 10 years of that, I got real lucky, work as a Range Patroller(Holdfast knows what that is), good job to make sure everyone is playing safe on live ranges on the Base. And no, I'm not joining back up to keep an eye on Holdfast, he can take care of himself. As a matter of fact one of his co-horts just finished today, maybe you know him, Luc Hopkins, Combat Engineer.

Yup I know him well, Little guy if were talking about the same. He was in my Section and was fantastic with the Chainsaw. Tell Him Bobby Clobber says Hi. What do you mean he finished today. PM me Plse. Thanks.

I am an electrician (construction and maintenance) also union and proud of it! Started the trade in 1967 and just retired last month. Going union gives you and your family (future) plenty of benefits such as pension plan and health plans. Sometimes work can be sparse however if one were to specialize in fire alarm, PLC's, motor drives etc then most likely clear sailing. Hours of work are 37.5 /week with anything over at double bubble. I personally loved my job and would do it all over again.

I diid the whole cooking school/chef thing for a couple years. Love food and cooking, but the industry is dirty and not alot of money is swimming around... so im thinking about doing another trade

Cooking you say?

Don't give up on it yet...if you truely love it you'll make it work.

It just takes some time, but advancement in a Good reputable place can be quick.

Stick to Hotels and Resorts, avoid Mom and Pop run places...favoritism and limited funds can make them difficult places to advance.

Trust me...

I've been at the culinary Trade for 16 Years now, I'm currently 31 and was the youngest Exec Chef in the Company at age 25.

Still am the youngest LOL!

But there is alway a Lot of opportunity for young guys in this industry if your willing to work hard, be loyal, and tuff it out.

Just choose your place of employment wisely.

Anyhoo...

I'm inbetween 2 jobs right now....

I am the Executive Chef at the full service Hotel and Conference Center I work at, and just recently stepped into the position of

"Acting Director Of Food & Beverage services" as well.

Not 100% sure I am wanting to step out of the Kitchen just Yet, but....

Its a new challenge holding 2 busy positions so for now its good.

(challenge is the nice way of putting it :whistling: )

I do however LOVE cooking proffessionaly...its a rush

Its been compared to working the triage at a busy E.R.

You never know whats comming through the door, and no matter what it is.....it's urgent and needs attention NOW!!!!

No room for mistakes, every Pateint...errrr Customer demands "personal" service, and expects perfection.

Days are long sometimes...pay is "fair"

But the rush, the creative freedom, and the ever changing enviroment is addictive.

Competition is fierce but that just makes it that much more rewarding when your the leader, and you have a great team to lead into the game...

I was voted Favorite Local Chef in the Tricites area via the Kitchener Records Diamond awards this past year which pretty much made all the hard work well worth it....very proud of my Guys(and gals)

Takes a team to win something like that, and thats my favorite part about this industry.

The social comaradery that a kitchen provides is second to none.

Yup...

Can't think of anything I'd rather be doing right now(except fishing of course)

Or maybe working at a nice northern ontario resort.....thats if the wife was ok with the move :whistling:

Plus...

Chicks dig a guy who can cook :rolleyes:

Edited by Cookslav

Seriously tho, I agree with mukluk, union is the way to go. Been working since i was 14. Fishing Cod in Newfoundland. Then logging. Then in a auto shop. Finished high school (with honours) and went to college. Got a diploma in millwright and moved to Ontario to work in a factory. After a year and a half I had enough of working inside (after fishing and logging) and my wife's uncle helped me get into Peel Region water and sewer dept. Started as a labourer in 2003, moved up to tri-axle truck driver, and now I run a Vactor 2011 Series hydra-vac truck and make good money doing it. I have total control of overtime. My advice is get into a trade with a good union. Great job security, good pension, guaranteed raise every year, and most important, weither now or later...BENEFITS!!!

Good luck with your search.

Curt

Cooking you say?

Don't give up on it yet...if you truely love it you'll make it work.

It just takes some time, but advancement in a Good reputable place can be quick.

Stick to Hotels and Resorts, avoid Mom and Pop run places...favoritism and limited funds can make them difficult places to advance.

Trust me...

I've been at the culinary Trade for 16 Years now, I'm currently 31 and was the youngest Exec Chef in the Company at age 25.

Still am the youngest LOL!

But there is alway a Lot of opportunity for young guys in this industry if your willing to work hard, be loyal, and tuff it out.

Just choose your place of employment wisely.

Anyhoo...

I'm inbetween 2 jobs right now....

I am the Executive Chef at the full service Hotel and Conference Center I work at, and just recently stepped into the position of

"Acting Director Of Food & Beverage services" as well.

Not 100% sure I am wanting to step out of the Kitchen just Yet, but....

Its a new challenge holding 2 busy positions so for now its good.

(challenge is the nice way of putting it :whistling: )

I do however LOVE cooking proffessionaly...its a rush

Its been compared to working the triage at a busy E.R.

You never know whats comming through the door, and no matter what it is.....it's urgent and needs attention NOW!!!!

No room for mistakes, every Pateint...errrr Customer demands "personal" service, and expects perfection.

Days are long sometimes...pay is "fair"

But the rush, the creative freedom, and the ever changing enviroment is addictive.

Competition is fierce but that just makes it that much more rewarding when your the leader, and you have a great team to lead into the game...

I was voted Favorite Local Chef in the Tricites area via the Kitchener Records Diamond awards this past year which pretty much made all the hard work well worth it....very proud of my Guys(and gals)

Takes a team to win something like that, and thats my favorite part about this industry.

The social comaradery that a kitchen provides is second to none.

Yup...

Can't think of anything I'd rather be doing right now(except fishing of course)

Or maybe working at a nice northern ontario resort.....thats if the wife was ok with the move :whistling:

Plus...

Chicks dig a guy who can cook :rolleyes:

I got a Buddy that started his cooking trade MTL. Yup the Hotels, Holiday Inn and the Laurentian if I can remember. Last time I seen him was a couple of years ago in High River AB last town before NWT. The chef at a Motel there. I figure he must be Running from the Cops to be there. I remember him telling me how it can be a stressful Job. Seems he liked to get into the Wine in the Fridge. I'm a Hells Kitchen Fan and I have a question for you. I am having an argument with the Warden (Wife) and I say that a sous chef is like an apprentice chef. Is there like a Chain of command in chefs. ie highest to lowest in Rank.

Been a machinist for 19 years at the same plant.Started right out of highschool as a apprentice.I took a liking to the CNC side of the job and worked to be very versitile on all machines in the shop,requesting to be moved around alot.Did some programing for a while and now I am a lead-hand/set-up/problem solver.The money is good for the area (Belleville) and up till 2 months ago you could write your own paycheck as OT was only limited to what the goverment would let you work.The Americains are our biggest costomers so this down-turn in the states has slowed us down.I have been offered management positions but have turned them all down as there is more security and less back stabbing on the floor.All in all i'm happy with my choices. I do get frustrated with the waste and miss-managment of a big plant like ours but when your on the floor your voice falls on deaf management ears. :wallbash:

Earliest memories...I was dancing..probably before I could walk :)

Then a horrific experience took the wind out of my sails...had that not have happened I no doubt would be a professional dancer or figure skater...just was not meant to be.

So...the babysitting jobs were first...then waitressing, chaimbermaid, telephone sales, elevator operator, back to waitressing, inventory control clerk for Suzy Creamcheese in Vancouver, back to waitressing, then went back to school, worked for Elizabeth Fry Society of Ottawa for 10 years...back to waitressing, on to Revenue Canada collecting taxes, and then to Statistics Canada where I am now.

I still don't know what I want to do...nothing makes me happy...and I know why...I gave up on my dream...and there's just no going back...soooooo....I am coasting....and I just want the clock to slow the h e l l down...

Heres my story:

Im a 21 year old college graduate from George Brown in toronto. I diid the whole cooking school/chef thing for a couple years. Love food and cooking, but the industry is dirty and not alot of money is swimming around... so im thinking about doing another trade...

I would love to hear your story...

I did the same thing you did. Back in 1988 to 1990. Im not sure were you have worked but cleanliness and sanitation is

paramount and regulated in most food operations. :dunno:

I would stick it out lots of oppurtunity and money once you establish yourself and network with folks.

I left schools and immediately worked for places with unions for better pay and benefits. (ie.,Universities and hospitals)

Then worked as head chef for couple catering places. It's not bad but hard work and lots of being on your feet.

My grocery bills are always low and company cars and gas cards have been nice in catering biz.

No matter what you do, you gotta work hard and be smart at least for a while. :blahblah1:

Good Luck,

ehg

Holdfast, a sous chef is second in charge in kitchen usually. The apprentice is at the bottom.

Their is a regimentation in kitchens and there is alot of yelling and Hell's Kitchen type stuff.

I'm studying medicine at the University of Toronto. Just finished my second year and looking to enjoy my last full summer holiday with as much time on the water as possible before I start clerkship in the fall. I guess that means I'm going to be a physician or a surgeon, because job descriptions for an MD degree seem pretty much limited to those two.

I’m now 34, finished high school and went right to work. I was a warehouse person for a while, got in to being a server/bartender, sales at a retail place, back to the bar’s… then off to PC sales at a small company. Then, moved on to other BIGGER PC companies and then off to a smaller VAR (value added reseller). I was at the VAR for 5 years before I decided to move on. The VAR I was at was good pay but it was a small place so I learned a lot about the folks I worked with that I never needed to know. Trust me, things I NEVER wanted to know… So off to Dell I went for 2 year (2 years at Dell = 4+ years in any other sales job). In my 2 years there I did large corporate sales (CBG/LCA for any ex Dell folk out there) for software and printing and imaging consultant. Now, I do corporate sales (for Print only) at another company and I enjoy my challenges. After all, not many people think a TV and cell phone company make business class printers so it’s a hard fight to win business and mindshare. But the finical rewards are there so I cannot complain too much. Besides, I am an outside sales Account Executive with them so I do work out of the office and that allows me to have some days at home for lunch with the wife and kids…

Not everyone needs a degree to have a great paying job, that I can attest to. Having an education is great as long as the one you spent so many years working on is the one field you want to be in.

Sales; it’s a hard job and a great job BUT you have to be confident in yourself, be yourself and never Bull. Bull always come up and gets you in the end, so to say… ;)

I'm bartending right now...its alright but Not a career, pays the bills and lots of cash money, not to mention all the cute girls and free booze. :D

I'm also a George Brown Graduate too!!! Hospitality and Tourism...yea the kitchen sucks until your a manager but then your chillin.

I'm still going going back to school next year for Economics at York University, who knows anymore, DO what you Love to do.......except fishing cuz that ll never happen :P Just kidding!

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

I am an electrician (construction and maintenance) also union and proud of it! Started the trade in 1967 and just retired last month. Going union gives you and your family (future) plenty of benefits such as pension plan and health plans. Sometimes work can be sparse however if one were to specialize in fire alarm, PLC's, motor drives etc then most likely clear sailing. Hours of work are 37.5 /week with anything over at double bubble. I personally loved my job and would do it all over again.

Ax Jimmy Hoffa how he likes the unions...

:oops: ... somebody already axed him!

What i do

Owner / Operator/ Franchisor of http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca

And i would be interested in putting up a location in the Pickering Oshawa or Markham area. B)

I have been self employed since 1994 doing what I love to do. (Putting a smile on my customers face when i can solve their problem.

)

What I would like to do

Open more locations and help potential entrepreneurs realize their goals.

Splashhopper

Hmmm.....I live between Pickering and Oshawa....do I need experience with grout?? LOL

Web Developer for TD Bank.

I am responsible for the maintenance of their 4 major websites.

TD.com, TDCanadaTrust.com, TDCommercialBanking.com and TDWaterhouse.com.

So needless to say, I am a tad busy. Great money, so cant complain there.

I also have a Web Development business on the side (Stoty.com Web Solutions).

if someone wants to get into the trades...it can be very rewarding....but......i strongly suggest that it be a trade that requires an appenticship program....get a liscence for that trade.....im a painter by trade and its funny how sometimes when i hire, how many painters are out there.......lol....i remeber once interviewing a few guys....well you dont know what they can do until you really see them in action.....this guy comes to the job site....with a home depot package....tray roller anf brush ...still in the package.....says to me i have 20 years experience...lol....nearly laughed myself off the ladder i was on......needless to say...i let him work for the day and paid him....he wasnt a painter

point being is with a licecsed trade....your able to get top buck as their are no newbies under cutting you...