JOBS

Pachone

Maybe im missing something here but?

Most trades are dependent on manufacturing........

So not sure what your point is?

I think what he is saying is, manufacturing will all be offshore. No longer here predominantly.

As for me, I work for a very large homebuilder in the GTA as an Senior Estimator. I am happy with the company as we are across the country now and across the States. Previously I was an Estimator for an ICI firm in Burlington, a small family run business which I didnt see the potential for the bottom line.

I have a college education and I am planning on going back to get my degree in Civil Engineering hopefully.

I'm a nurse... yeah... a man nurse too.

Got a problem with that? lol.

Worked Outpost and ER for nearly a decade, with a little Nephrology-Med in the beginning as well. I used to work hard but once you've done some time in the same job much of it becomes familiar; there are days though where I certainly earn my keep. The north gives me the opportunity to have autonomy in my profession and 90% of my time I work without the help of doctors, in a role that less than 1% of Ontario's nurses are permitted to work in. The choice and ability to think freely and problem solve in my chosen career should excel my learning curve over the majority of more restrictive RN specialties

I don't envy doctors one bit, I wouldn't want their existence. Most of them are so far behind what I hold important in life at my age.

I don't envy nurses either, and could list dozens of reasons why.

I wouldn't recommend the carreer to anyone except highly compassionate and quick, logical thinking women or, easy going gay men. Unfortunately I'm not either, so I can see me looking for some form of Freedom 35 or upgrade to a position of Grand Master of something... maybe the universe.

Seriously though, the career can be very rewarding in many ways and open doors into the very broad job field of health and medicine, which, will always require a huge workforce, will always pay well and have benefits, and... will always be in need.

My current job is full of great benefits and has so far allowed me a great quality of life.

I'm a nurse... yeah... a man nurse too.

Got a problem with that? lol.

Worked Outpost and ER for nearly a decade, with a little Nephrology-Med in the beginning as well. I used to work hard but once you've done some time in the same job much of it becomes familiar; there are days though where I certainly earn my keep. The north gives me the opportunity to have autonomy in my profession and 90% of my time I work without the help of doctors, in a role that less than 1% of Ontario's nurses are permitted to work in. The choice and ability to think freely and problem solve in my chosen career should excel my learning curve over the majority of more restrictive RN specialties

I don't envy doctors one bit, I wouldn't want their existence. Most of them are so far behind what I hold important in life at my age.

I don't envy nurses either, and could list dozens of reasons why.

I wouldn't recommend the carreer to anyone except highly compassionate and quick, logical thinking women or, easy going gay men. Unfortunately I'm not either, so I can see me looking for some form of Freedom 35 or upgrade to a position of Grand Master of something... maybe the universe.

Seriously though, the career can be very rewarding in many ways and open doors into the very broad job field of health and medicine, which, will always require a huge workforce, will always pay well and have benefits, and... will always be in need.

My current job is full of great benefits and has so far allowed me a great quality of life.

I developed a huge new respect for ICU nurses when my son and I were in a bad car accident some years back. He was in a coma for 39 days, never got off life support. The nurses were (almost) without exception wonderful to my wife and I through the whole ordeal. The day Steve died two of his primary care nurses (changing shifts) held each other and cried at the foot of his bed. I still can't get over the amount of stress and emotion intensive care nurses have to contend with on an ongoing basis. Those ladies had a whole ward full of people like our Steve and still coped. I used to think they just grew a hard shell and refused to take their work home with them, but watching those weeping ladies at Victoria Hospital I now know better. I can't think of an emotionally tougher job. Bless 'em all.

JF

John,

That is terrible. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your son. No one should have to deal with something of that nature. You say it was a number of years back, but I'm sure that does not make it any easier to take these days. My deepest condolences.

As you point out, there are some very decent people in the nursing profession. Seems like you met a couple of them.

I worked 7 years with the Feds at House of commence, went through 3 prime ministers and numerous ministers. Got sick of the whole thing, nothing gets done and the new guy just blames the last guy. Now I am with a pharmaceutical company, great job, and great place to be.

If you could get into pharmaceuticals, regardless of the trade or position it will be good. Think about it, it’s a source not like the other, you are not going to run out or it’s not going to go out of fashion. Everyone needs drugs, especially with our baby boomers just about to hit their 60’s

well myself started with a cooking job during high school. That spun into restaurant manager,kitchen manager After a few years deciding there was no money in this field took a job in food production plant in London. Worked as receiver,quality control and production for 17 years until they locked the doors 5 years ago. Too bad great money,lots of holidays.

Now I work in both hospitals in St.Thomas one as a cook/inventory control,the other as a dietary aide. Both part time and work well together working about 50 hours a week between the 2. Great money,and like the jobs and as much time off as I want. I guess I can't complain much.

Edited by bowslayer

I developed a huge new respect for ICU nurses when my son and I were in a bad car accident some years back. He was in a coma for 39 days, never got off life support. The nurses were (almost) without exception wonderful to my wife and I through the whole ordeal. The day Steve died two of his primary care nurses (changing shifts) held each other and cried at the foot of his bed. I still can't get over the amount of stress and emotion intensive care nurses have to contend with on an ongoing basis. Those ladies had a whole ward full of people like our Steve and still coped. I used to think they just grew a hard shell and refused to take their work home with them, but watching those weeping ladies at Victoria Hospital I now know better. I can't think of an emotionally tougher job. Bless 'em all.

JF

Sorry to hear about the loss of your son.

God bless

Splashhopper and Botbot

Nope..

but you do need to have some basic handiman skills and aptitude...

Ask BLY if you qualify on these two accounts! lol

splashhopper

I know drills go round and round....

Hmmm...what else....hammers go up and down....

As far as aptitude is concerned, I know when in the middle of a project, the precise moment when I'm screwed.

Good enough??? :lol:

Maybe im missing something here but?

Most trades are dependent on manufacturing........

So not sure what your point is?

Trades are dependant on manufacturing. Unfortunately the manufacturing is taking place elsewhere. We are becoming an importer nation of finished goods. These goods need to be both installed and maintained by electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc. There are less and less trade people in the manufacturing industrires (ie machinistes). Just look at the automotive, textile, computer industries.

Can you please be more specific regarding the computer industry? I have to date not seen a drop in numbers as a matter of fact, I would say that there are even more opportunities now in that field, than at virtually anytime in the last 20 years! :clapping:

HH

Can you please be more specific regarding the computer industry? I have to date not seen a drop in numbers as a matter of fact, I would say that there are even more opportunities now in that field, than at virtually anytime in the last 20 years! :clapping:

HH

Several years ago, everyone seemed to be studying computers. At one point there was an over abundance of programmers and technicians. Everyone was hanging up a shingle and calling themselves an expert. I know of several people who have computer science degrees that are not being used. Also, look at large companies like Emerson that have been downsizing staff, and or closing up. Sure, the industry is not dead, but I personally think that there are too many people in it. It is simple supply and demand. Top people in any field will always find work. It is those that are average that have to worry.

HH

What I'm seeing is an upswing in career and entrepreneurial opportunities arising out of the proliferation of computers and related technology. I suspect that there are jobs out there today that would be more accurately defined as trades that are really all about computers.

JF

I have been in the Printing business for 21 years.

I worked in prepress for 13 years and have been earning my living the last 8 years as a Technical Sales Rep.

Serving conventional Printers prepress shops and the Wideformat industrie.Posters banners billboards and signs.

We sell equipment and supplies.

www.ernestgreen.com

:Gonefishing:

Trades are dependant on manufacturing. Unfortunately the manufacturing is taking place elsewhere. We are becoming an importer nation of finished goods. These goods need to be both installed and maintained by electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc. There are less and less trade people in the manufacturing industrires (ie machinistes). Just look at the automotive, textile, computer industries.

I've been a tradesman for over 30 years and have never depended on the manufacturing industry. You need a new school? We'll build it. Need a high rise condo? We build those too. Restaurant? Yup. How about an entire new manufacturing plant? We'll build it, but can't guarantee your future success. That's up to you.

Bottom line is that in no way are trades dependent on the manufacturing industry. We build the entire nation from back yard sheds to automotive plants, nuclear power plants, and paper and sawmills. Tradesmen/women will never run out of work. In fact, it's difficult to keep up at times. Get a union trade and live a good life. Work until you're 55 and relax with a nice 60 to 80 g pension. That's my plan. And I'm almost there.

I was... er am hovering in the automotive industry... that is to say my seniority number keeps me getting called back every couple of months... so I am going to go back to school with the hope of landing a job at OPG as a nuclear operator. With all the new reactor stuff happening I think that it is definitely in my best interest to jump on now.

I'm a reformed stand-up comic who occassionally relapses. I make my living writing and producing TV shows now which doesn't have the same buzz as being on stage but pays better and keeps me at home which in turn keeps me with my wife and kids who likely would have bailed if I continued to spend 7 months a year away from home for the past 20 years. There is also a good chance my liver would have filed for divorce as well spending that much time in bars and clubs. Can't imagine doing anything else and likely don't have the skill set to do anything else.

Hi, I have been a mechanical design draftsman for close to 35 years now. In April of 1990 I started my own design drafting company and that company is still going strong today.

I also have a hobby that's slowly turning into a business. I play rock music in a band named LAJ. We have a 5 song EP scheduled to be released in early July.