Lake St. Clair Musky Opener Weekend

Wendel

Well, we had been counting down the days to the Musky Opener, and it finally arrived.

We decided that we would drive down to Mitchell's Bay Friday night and get a camp site. We stayed at Bass Haven, nice and close to the action, everything you could ever want for fishing.

We got the boat out Friday night, didn't get much of anything, a couple OOS Bass, some small perch, a small pike.

Saturday morning we were on the water by 6:45 am, we had lines wet by 7:00am. Not much happening, water was a little rough.

We tried shallow to start with, but then headed out a little deeper, eventually the water calmed down enough to put a planer board out, and within minutes we had the first musky of the season, a healthy 38

P1010716.jpg

We ended up getting about 4 more OOS bass, some pretty big ones to, I won't post the links, but if your computer savvy I'm sure you can figure out how to see the pics...

My brother and his 3 year old came out in the afternoon, Sawyer's first time on a boat... he was pumped... Brave little pirate he was...

I tried and tried of find him the perch, but no luck, I put him on a couple of rock bass, and he got a nice OOS Small mouth when his attention waned and he put his pole down for about 30 seconds...

P1010721.jpg

We took them back to shore, had a quick nap, and we were out again.

We nailed this 42 around 8:45

P1010724.jpg

That was the end of the musky for the weekend...

The winds really picked up and with the thunderstorms Saturday night it was hard to find much of anything.

Nicole did manage to find a few pickeral, I pretty much got skunked on sunday(well an oos bass, but that's it)

P1010725.jpg

And here is what happened to them :P

P1010729.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

Very nice Musky! Lake St.Clair is definetly a world class Musky fishing lake! Those spotted Musky seem to be a very healthy breed.

A friend of mine went 5/6 on Muskie fishing Closer to Belle River on Saturday. LSC is the place for big Muskie. Very nice report!! Another good place to stay in Mitchell's Bay is the General Store he has 2 rooms up stairs for $70/night (that's what we paid) the one sleeps 8. LSC has some phenomenal fishing!!!

A friend of mine went 5/6 on Muskie fishing Closer to Belle River on Saturday. LSC is the place for big Muskie. Very nice report!! Another good place to stay in Mitchell's Bay is the General Store he has 2 rooms up stairs for $70/night (that's what we paid) the one sleeps 8. LSC has some phenomenal fishing!!!

yeah, going to try a different place next time. I don't mind camping but really hate being eaten alive by mosquitos lol

Not alot of amenities at BassHaven for campers either

nice fish wendel. muskys are just finishing spawn. gotta love those beautifull muskies. i cant wait for the belle rivr can-am june 21-23. im sure there will be brusers caught. oh ya those fillets look tempting., fresh walleye mmm

Yeah, these were caught in about 5-6 feet of water, wanted to go shallower, but it was just too muddy at that end of the lake still.

Well done Wendel!

How was the water clarity/level venturing out from Bass Haven?

-Brian

It was very good Saturday, but the storm Saturday night mixed things up a little bit, we got the pickeral in about 5 feet of water between the steel island and the marine park channel, so not far from Bass Haven.

great report...nice boat to boot !!! Those LSC Ski's look so nice compared to the ones we have here in the Kawartha's.....do they stink as bad as ours , LOL !!

Thanks, a huge difference from my old boat, I actually have room for gear and passengers in the new boat lol

I've never taken the time to sniff them, but I did get covered in slime from the second one, and that shirt might be toast now...