Is this an Elk Antler????

TJQ

I found this up by the camp at Matchewan... is it an Elk antler??? I thought I had read in OOD that they had been spotted as far north as Gogama... (I may be wrong about that though..)

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

When I first saw it, that's what I assumed as well.... Ive been looking at some pics on the net though and i dunno now....

scr-elkhorn1-nps.jpg

Rattlesnake-Canyon-Shed.jpg

Its the tine at the very base of the antler thats got me thinking....

Remember I mentioned that it was elk the first time I was it and it still looks elk to me. North of Sudbury was one of the first elk reintroduction sites in Ontario back a few years ago. They do travel and there could be a few up there. The elk herd nearest to me in Bancroft has spread from Just south of Ottawa to Parry sound area and south to the 401 near Kingston to Peterborough.

I'm going to send the the pic off to my hunting buddies and a good friend thats a taxidermist and will get back to you with there opinions.

Mike

Guest gbfisher

they've been seen around Killbear and on Parry Island. Won't be long till there's one hangin in "the tree" up there.... :canadian:

Looks like a screwed up deer antler. Could be a Moose as well. Can't make out how big it is from the picture. :dunno:

Young Bull Moose for sure. One trait is how the antler flattens or webs when it spilts to the right. From what I've come across elk antlers very rarley flatten or web except well out on the tips. Anything of the main beam stays round.

Looking at the pics again I say moose for sure as from what we would call the brow tine the main beam is going out at a 90 degree angle or that is how I interpret the pics. An elks main beam goes back out over his body, only member of the deer family to have his antlers go back and not forward.

This is from one of the guys at the Elk Resoration Project... I let him know te anlter was found just north of Elk Lake...

Hi T.J.

Judging from how this antler would attach to the skull (off to the side) and the angle of the upturn of the tine tips, I'd say it's

a young (probably yearling) moose. The elk (or wapiti) can travel quite far - we've had reports of sightings and even some pics from

Gogama, Elk Lake and Chapleau. Never heard of any up in Matachewan, though.

Hope this helps.

The guys I sent the pics to are split on decision but one makes more sense then the others and he live in elk country. He figures it's moose as most Elk don't develop the brow tine or eye guards that size till they are 4x4's of 5x5's.

So know he has me thinking more moose then Elk and I think Chris is correct.

To me it does look more like Elk than anything else. Moose usually fork further from the skull plate. as do deer.

Here are some 2007 photos from the Bancroft/North Hastings Elk herd.

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Some of the released Elk have ranged far from their release sites, and they are multiplying. Also, some older restoration programs go back to the early to mid 1900's - but your shed does not look that old. Contact your MNR for more presice identification.

../Brian

That drop is a moose, bar none. No way a 3 point elk is going to have brow tines like that or are the other points going to be that long. Lived around a herd of 500 bull elk on an elk farm for 2 years out here and none had a rack looking like that and I have chased many a wild elk out here and no 3 pointer has ever had a rack looking like that.