how much oil and gas do i mix?

SBCregal

hey

I have an older johnson (1965 I believe) 9.5hp outboard, as the topic states. I picked it up off a buddy of mine, and I dont have a manual or anything. I'm wondering what ratio I should mix the oil/gas. This is my first motor and boat so I'm pretty clueless... HELLLP :)

ryan

currently I use a 1976 Evinrude 9.9 on my tinner....sure that may sound pretty old but it's a pretty die hard little motor and runs like a champ...I mix it 40:1 all the time, runs like a top..I always just make sure I get an even amount of litres of gas for mixing it easier..no guess work...don't scrimp[ on the oil either just because it's an older smaller motor , I always buy good TCW111 rated oil for both my boats, a coupl,e extra bucks on oil is a heck of alot better than a couple hundred repairing warn engine parts. :)

hrm, thanks for the replies...i've asked a few buddies and including the answers i got here I've been told anything from 30-50:1

gonna try 40:1 and see how it runs, after the first tank i'll pull a plug and see if its fouled at all and go from there

thanks for the replies

hrm, thanks for the replies...i've asked a few buddies and including the answers i got here I've been told anything from 30-50:1

gonna try 40:1 and see how it runs, after the first tank i'll pull a plug and see if its fouled at all and go from there

thanks for the replies

being an older motor, if you do run at that mix and check the plugs and they still seem a bit fouled up, this could be a couple other things too.....could be your idle speed adjuster,run the motor at a slow trolling speed and neutral for a few minutes and see if wants to kick out on ya, then make adjustments higher or lower from there until you can get it to run at a nice low speed and not want to stall out on you, or else the lean/rich adjustment on the motor as well, you may have to fiddle around with them a bit as well, make tiny adjustments and run the boat for a bit, keep trying a couple different positions until you feel/hear changes in the motor and fine tune it up a bit, keep in mind is is an old motor and it will burn oil, you get used to the yummy blue smoke after a while, if you look like this at the end of the day :w00t: , job well done :Gonefishing:

yeah, according to the buddy i bought it off of, it stalls out at slow speed and while trolling. i figured it needs some idle and mixture adjustments. i just got it home tonight and am gonna take a stab at it tomorrow...just wanted to figure the mix out for when i fill up the tank tomorrow... keep the tips coming :)

if the motor hasn't been ran for a while..when you are tinkering around with it you may as well change the bottom end gear oil in it. If it comes out milky or greyish water is getting in the lower end a little bit...if it only seems like a drop or 2 really then it may just be as simple as the little gaskets from the drain and fill screws need to be replaced, might wanna check that anyway being an old motor..if you got it from someone ya know they should have a bit of history on it for ya.

i believe it's 25:1 that they recommend for these older johnny-rudes...

Mercs are 50:1, but i run it with a little more oil, better safe then sorry...

PM boatman, he's an expert/collector of the older johnny-rudes, he'll be able to tell you for sure....

Back in the sled days (1970+) we had to be sure of which oil we were using. The synthetics could be run much leaner than the regular oil, up to 50:1. My rule for regular conditions was 20:1 for standard leaded gas premix but these new products have changed all the rules. I'm not sure the age of the motor is quite as important as the type of oil used when deciding on mix so read the label. I tended to cheat on the rich side and take my chances with running hotter. The modern synthetics are pretty darned good and I doubt there's any reason to richen with them.

BTW. If yer gonna fool with the jetting etc always look for either extreme white or extreme black with a carbon buildup on the plug. If it's really light richen the gas jetting immediately.

JF

thanks guys

i pulled the lower unit drain plug last night just to check for water, and more than i'd like to see came out before i saw any oil, so it looks like im gonna be looking for some seals in the near future. I worked at a marine shop for a few months (a few yrs back before i realized that the car trade is the one for me) so i've done a few of the seals, gonna tackle that at home or at the shop next week. i was told the fluid was replaced last spring, along with plugs/tuneup and a carb cleaning (i assume the guy just ran some cleaner through it) gonna get her running today over at my parents place so i can see how it runs and what parts i should start hunting for. ive been told that these are considered vintage so some parts are hard to come by. I was told the impeller was done last spring as well, how long do those last, it wasnt run alot last yr after the work...is it something done anually. other than that, im looking at lower unit seals and a carb kit. anyone have parts leads?

thanks alot again,

ryan

p.s. i cant WAIT to get out on the water and off of shore!

guys can some one help me.I have 28 hp johnson outboard.can any1 tell me how much oil should i mix with gas.do i have to mix oil with gas or just gas would be good enough.let me know

also what are the steps to start the outboard when it was winterized.do we have to put outboard oil somewhere in outboard.i am totally newbie about boat/outboard so help would be appreciated.let me know asap.thx

New Angler, i don't know much about outboards neither but i'd say start a new thread, give us more information about the motor (i.e. year, model, etc). Try google, there's alot of information on the web.

New Angler,

50:1 mix= 20ml of outboard oil for each litre of gas. Just to save you the math.....LOL. A little more will be ok, but never use less.

The only other oil you need is lower unit gear oil. If it was winterized, it should be full and good to go, but I'd check it to make sure......its cheap insurance. There will be 2 screws on the foot of the motor.....the top one is a vent, the bottom one is for filling. Take both screws out, let the oil drain out. Fill it from the bottom hole until it comes out the top hole, then put the top screw back in....while the bottom hole is still plugged by the oil jug. Once the top screw is in, quickly take the oil jug away, and put the bottom screw in.......good to go.

To start it, prime the fuel bulb on the line, pull the choke, and turn it over. It will most likely start, then stall. Turn the choke off, and turn it over again......it should start. You may have to give it some throttle to keep it running at first, being an older motor.

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

• 3 weeks later...

I realise this post is long dead, but since it never got complete resolution I thought I'd give you the definative answer.

1964 and newer Johnson/Evinrudes take 50:1 TCW-3 outboard oil to 87 octane gas. Prior to 1964 use 24:1. High rates like 24:1 - 40:1 will do nothing, but foul plugs and stick rings in your motor. If you choose to run a richer mix, also consider changing the gap of your plugs from .030" to .040" and perform a decarb once a year.

The 9.5 hp began life in 1964 and was always designed to run 50:1. The 28 hp entered the market in 1962, which would suggest that it should be run at 24:1, however, it can safely be run at 50:1, too.

I also suggest to run the fuel mixture with a bit more oil than less. I would start at around 30:1. It will only smoke a bit more and maybe the plug will eventually get dirty but you sure won't seize the motor. You can later run leaner but I would never go to 50:1 with any motor over 20 years old. If you want to troll with a large motor, use a drift sock or an electric motor or a smaller motor. It all depends on the size of the boat compared to the size of the motor. If you have a 30 h.p. motor on a 15 foot aluminum boat....get a very small motor for trolling.

In 1965 people were still using 30W automotive oil mixed 50:1. Using today's specifically designed outboard oil is already a vast improvement over that. In fact, 50:1 already has a safety factor built in. The engineers knew we'd mess up the fuel mix sometimes so they recommend a richer mix than is actually required. If you are going to run a mix like 30:1 I'd suggest using a synthetic outboard oil. It'll smoke much less and is biodegradeable.

My neighbour has a Johnson/Evinrude not sure which one. It takes 100:1. I didn't believe it till he showed me the stamp right above the fuel line connector.

For a period starting in the 1980's and lasting into the early 90's OMC recommended 100:1. However, they found that there was a significantly higher rate of powerhead failure and put it back down to 50:1. The problem apparently isn't with running these motors at 100:1, but rather that there isn't enough oil left over to properly lubricate the internals for long term storage. According to a former OMC service tech and fellow outboard collector, OMC issued a statement to its dealers back in the 1960's stating that several of their motors could run at 100:1. With todays oil injected motors, you'd be surprised to learn that at times the motor is getting a ratio closer to 150:1.