guerrilla marketing

forrest

It happens all the time on forums.

Do you think that this is what's happening? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover_marketing

Yes, undercover marketing is a much better description.

Explain what makes you come to that conclusion please. I don't understand what you're saying.

Examples from the last few days in this forum this forum:

' am getting an x-rap, what colour should I get?'

'have you seen these Rapala videos? I am going to get one of these'

'I have used this Rapala jointed Shad (big pictures) will they work for muskie?'

forrest

I dont think so.You may see people talk up a product that really works but I dont think that they are getting compensated for it.Low post count newcomers that are "overly enthusiastic" about a product are quickly sniffed out here.If someone recently joined and is pumping something just consider the source and move on.Do a search of their recent posts and you will see if that is the case.

Joe

Guest robw

I know what you mean. You can't even post in the "what's your favorite lure?" Post, without someone pushing there own product on you. This forum should be about people sharing tips and experiences, not to promote your products. I believe there is a section here for that, that we can look at, at our own leisure.

Yes, undercover marketing is a much better description.

Examples from the last few days in this forum this forum:

' am getting an x-rap, what colour should I get?'

'have you seen these Rapala videos? I am going to get one of these'

'I have used this Rapala jointed Shad (big pictures) will they work for muskie?'

forrest

I can see your point, but aren't Rapala one of the, if not THE biggest name in lures?

I can see your point, but aren't Rapala one of the, if not THE biggest name in lures?

yes they are and I have several Rapalas and I have seen Rapala in a lot of posts, but, this last week a few posts looked a bit too much like someone was advertising for Rapala......"look at this great video on the Rapala site....I am going to buy me one of those" and big pictures of Rapala products in another post. I was reminded about advertising. On top of that some guy is shamlessly promoting Budwiser :P

forrest

I think it's just ppl getting excited about bass season's approaching opener. Rapala's X-rap is still fairly new compared with other lures and a lot of ppl still haven't tried one. I agree that if a product truly works well there will be a buzz about it. During ice fishing season there are post after post about which augers are best and I'm sure if we had a week of straight rain that there would be some threads up about rain suits. Doesn't mean that some board members are getting kickback off their posts or are somehow affiliated with the products they choose to review favourably.

:spam: ???

I am getting a sense that there is some guerrilla marketing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_marketing ) taking place with the Rapala X-Rap series. Anyone else notice?

forrest

I haven't noticed but i did ask for info on lures as such so i wouldn't waste hard earned money.

I've noticed people get 'guerilla- marketed' into buying big ticket items like

Lund SSV- 16's or Mercury outboards however.

maybe some of these guys are kinda new into the fishing thing...they come on the board, see some of the great success stories many have, and they hear every where product names..like Rapala for example...and are really trying to find out which products many people use, and think they gotta load up with everything that's "all the rage" out there in hope of being able to one day catch that big one.

Half the crap in the fishing isle is just that in my opinion, they make it all flashy to catch the "fishermen" or perhaps rope in everyone that might buy a gift for someone they know that's a fishin nut. Everyone has thier choice baits that keep thier success rates high but come on..way too many bells and whistles on some stuff on the market, and I have yet to ever see a bright pink with purple and green poka dotted baitfish swimming around ever, and I do a heck of alot fishin and catching my own bait :lol:

It's easy to get 100 ppl on a forum board and someone to come up with the notion that when a product gets named a whole bunch of times that soemone is trying to pull off a marketting ploy...in the world of fishing and with some of the vast knowledge of all different topics on the board, I don't really think Rapala has to try and lure ya in.

That's the same as say me mentioning the fact that I have 2 different model Legend boats, one with a Merc, one with an Evinrude..I certainly ain't getting no kickbacks from any of those companies for that..as a matter of fact all those companies have cost me thousands of dollars <_<:lol:

some of the 'all gung ho guys" asking the questions probably look up to many here because of the great posts, the respects and freindships that can be forged along the way....some of the great values people share together, as well as the many successfull fishing tales and pics along the way..just perhaps over eager to learn....we where all like that at one time...just many of us have started since we where small children, and have had countless great adventures along the way. :Gonefishing:

being seen and talked about in any context will help sales. Even if it's background noise. For example, product placement in movies is huge money. Even though Rapala might be one of the biggest, the market share and consumer image can shift very easily if a company goes about it the right way. One brand i've noticed lately is Storm and it's from nothing more than their product flood of various events such as the sportsmens shows. You could never convince me that they're not dumping their products on every vendor at these events. Just seeing the brand and logo over and over will lead to product recognition even though you've never bought one. ...all it takes is a few people to talk about x-rap's on forums and it will get spidered, word will get around and this will move product. tons of covert maniuplation out there.

Don't blame you for wondering, forrest...but I don't think it's a marketing thing. Looks to me like a combination of chance timing, and a kid who's trying too hard.

I don't think any of us would've raised an eyebrow at ehg's thread on its own. He's been here a long time, writes sensibly, and we all know he can catch fish. The pic he used for illustration did show up a little bigger than we're used to, but I'm guessing that's because he used his own photobucket space instead of leeching from a retailer's server.

What makes it look weird are the 2 other threads you pointed to. Both started by Mike the Bass Fisher, a school kid who's cranking out ~50 posts a week. Seems to be just starting out fishing, so the posts are on a really basic level. Too many posts + wrong writing style + too low info level = looks like spam.

I'm gonna crack open a cold can of Bud, and say that yeah, it's coincidence. Of course, I DID propose to my girlfriend with a Rapala X-Rap Shad that had a diamond ring attached...maybe the marketing IS getting to me.... :whistling:

L don't know if anyone around here is doing that

sp I think I will sit and have a Bud, the king of beers

anyone else like bud, when do you like to have one

And you prolly disagree that there's too much forced laughter on sports talk shows.

JF

:spam: ???

I am getting a sense that there is some guerrilla marketing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_marketing ) taking place with the Rapala X-Rap series. Anyone else notice?

forrest

It's pretty tough to carry on conversations about fishing without mentioning likes and dislikes in lures, bait, line, rods, reels, boats, motors, charters etc. Granted there's sometimes a pretty fine line between self-serving promo and helpful info but it's not too hard to see when it's blatant promo and when it's just points for discussion. I like to hear about others' experience with the different products and have a pretty good Bull filter when it comes to spam.

JF

I haven't noticed but i did ask for info on lures as such so i wouldn't waste hard earned money.

I've noticed people get 'guerilla- marketed' into buying big ticket items like

Lund SSV- 16's or Mercury outboards however.

haha....Yeah...thats what I have :thumbsup_anim: ...but I would have been happy with a Princecraft, Lowe or Starcraft they all have boats that fit the weight and capacity specs I was looking for. The Lund just happened to come my way and its model only gets mentioned when relevant....and a merc happened to be attached to it....a Honda would have been good too. I never did post a lifesize pic of my boat...hmmmm have to get working on that!

Its all love ehg

forrest

Edited by forrest