rivets popping out!

After some rough conditions on Lake Erie last week I just noticed these 3 rivets about ready to pop! Anyone have this happen? How'd you deal with it? Boat is an 8 year old Lund. These rivets are at the back on either side of the rear deck.

rivet2.JPG

Edited by Pigeontroller

Drill them out and replace them. You'll need a setting tool and some help.

Mike the Pike Posted Today, 08:15 AM

Contact your Lund dealer this I believe is covered by a lifetime warranty.

MTP

How many weeks will the boat have to be in the shop for that? It would probably be much quicker to replace them himself.

Edited by Greencoachdog

Guest gbfisher

Life time Lund hull warrantee only covers the seems of the hull. Unfortunately you may have to pay large to get that fixed. My buddy had a 3 year old Mr pike that cost him $2800 to fix only 2 or three rivets as they had to take the whole boat apart to get at them. Lake Erie did that to his boat as well.

Hope it isn't the same trouble he had.

MoeMoe from this site owns the boat now....

You better look a little closer. Under the floor. Had the same thing with my Princecraft. They shipped it back to the factory in Quebec and found 85 rivets lose or missing. Lund's are no better than any other aluminum boat. I was in Concord at Rem metal works that did warranty work on aluminum boats. The place was full of all makes including Lund's.

I was told by Princecraft it was from wave action. Aluminums don't take the pounding. I owned 2 Princecrafts. I had a Lund, seen the workman ship. Thats why I don't own one. Not saying others are better. They do a lot with carpet.

hope all gets fixed up for you no problem..if you call the dealership about the warranty issue,I am curious to see what they cover if the boat is already a few years old. I have a Legend Viper, has a lifetime/leakproof for life warranty but I am pretty sure that warranty is for the main hull seem, and if you look at the warranty it starts off 100% coverage then gradually decreases over time to 90% then 80% and so on...good luck with the fix

Edited by jwl

Guest gbfisher

They say the rivets come out more with trailer queens.

I know. How ya sposed to get around that??? :dunno:

I leave mine in the water all year. :Gonefishing:

First thing i would do is try to figure out why this happened. What stressed the hull and is there any other problems.

Then i would fix it myself. We are right in the middle of fishing season and your boat is going to be in the shop. NO WAY.

Can you see the rivets while your fishing? If not keep fishing.

Are the bunks/rollers set up well on your trailer-anything shifted and not supporting properly? Might have been the drive to Erie and not the lake.

There are blind rivets available that seal, and good transport truck repair shop could fix you up in driveway in 10 minutes. That's assuming your only problem are the few loose rivets visible. I can't see the pics-are the problem rivets below the water line? If so your flotation foam could now be water logged.

Easy Roller Type trailer are notorious for hull problems because of the small area they cover. While trailering and hitting pot holes and rough roads the rollers are punching away at your boat hull. Bunk trailers are much more haul friendly because they distribute more of the boats weight better.

With all that said if you can get to the other side of those bad rivets it wouldn't take long to replace them with two guys. Call Lund and have them FedEx you some rivets (for FREE). I am sure they will be happy to do that.

Good Luck,

Bob

If you do a search on rivets at iboats boat repair forum the recomended repair will be an all aluminum solid 'blind' rivet dipped in 3m's 5200 or gluvit. That is if your only prob is a few loose rivets-and as we mentioned try to find out the cause of these rivets working loose.

If you or a buddy has a pop rivet gun you can just drill heads off the loose rivets and work from one side.

Thanks for all the advise! I took the rear deck off and as I suspected these rivets are not structural, they hold the panel front of the rear deck in place, if the dealer can't rivet it I can always go with SS bolts of an appropriate size.

Lew, I'll be in French river country on June 7th!

Edited by Pigeontroller

I took my boat to Bay City Marine in Hamilton today, I always get treated well there and today was no exception. Doug and Clarence are class acts!

3 new rivets for $30.

7 days to Muskie opener,priceless!!!

rivetsfixed.JPG

Edited by Pigeontroller

I took my boat to Bay City Marine in Hamilton today, I always get treated well there and today was no exception. Doug and Clarence are class acts!

3 new rivets for $30.

7 days to Muskie opener,priceless!!!

What did the Lund dealer say?

Edited by forrest