300HP? Yikes

charlied

Yamaha has a 350, BRP has a 300 Etec as does Suzuki been around a few yrs now,78 MPH is VERY fast on water,it takes alot of HP and a very light and well set up boat hull to attain those speeds

Edited by 2 Tone Z71

img12169.jpg

The New 300

Mercury applied similar changes — a more aggressive intake cam and revised spark and fuel programs — to boost the 2.6-liter Verado from 275 to 300 hp. The result is more top-end power with the strong bottom provided by the supercharger boost. A new 1.75:1 gear ratio is a little taller than the 1.85:1 ratio used in other L6 Verado models, for a better match with available propellers. At 649 pounds with a 25-inch shaft, the Verado is about 45 pounds heavier than the 4.0-liter Suzuki DF300, which is also designed for a digital control. The Verado 300 will be offered with a 20-inch shaft, perfect for those really big, really fast bass boats.

Merc's have had 300s for quite some time. The Pro Max (EFI) and then the Pro XS (DFI). The Verado is their 4-stroke so I guess they finally upped the 275 HP to 300 or 350. Not a big deal really.

All the majors have 300 HPs now.

Bass boats and big walleye boats can use them, but due to their weight probably more geared towards the big multi-engine ocean going fishing boats. But there are some on bass boats already and have been for some time.

As far as burning gas goes... My 'little' 225 drinks it's fair share. I think it is something like 4 miles per gallon wide open. Of course I could slow down and not drive wide open all the time... but if I'm out there and the conditions permit, I'm hammering it and loving every second of it. In terms of gasoline usage on the year, my Hyundai Tuscon and Chevy Trailblazer use more in a month than my boat does for the entire season. I don't even enjoy driving in and around the city, hate it in fact, but every second behind the wheel of my boat is my happy time, so if I pay a premium for it, so be it. I don't do drugs or nicotine and I drink less than a case of beer per year, so the money I save goes towards what makes me happy.

If you can afford it, by all means enjoy it. Just because I can't or others can't doesn't mean we should begrudge anyone their personal luxuries.

Charles

OMC had a 300 HP V8 outboard back in the 80's I believe. My friend has the 300 HP Merc Pro Max that he has souped up on his 21 foot ski boat. (This guy is 65 years old) By his radar gun, the boat does 107 mph and he used to own a faster one as well in case someone wanted to race but he sold it.

As for the bass tourney boats, I believe they are restricted to 225 HP max on their boats by the tourneys to keep the playing field somewhat level I guess. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by JohnAB

I don't do drugs or nicotine and I drink less than a case of beer per year, so the money I save goes towards what makes me happy.

AMEN BROTHER!

At least your getting something out of your money, and not peeing it away or doing damage to your body!

The creation of the big 300+ motors are geared for the offshore boats Instead of running 3 200 hp they can run 2 300 hp and save alot in the weight and fuel department. The initial savings are huge having to buy 1 less motor to power the crafts. The new boats are leaning towards the outboard motors because running a set of twin 454 motors usually gets you about .75 mpg while the twin 300+ will double the number to 1.75mpg. Remember most of the time when you are running the big boats the cost of the fuel is nothing compared to the cost of the trip with bait , special equiptment, upkeep and docking being the most expensive part of ownership.

Art

It won't stop at 350...

Do you remember when the first 600 cc snowmobile came out ? People thought that was crazy.

I remember people talking about how the deaths due to speed would soar.

Now they max out at over 1000 cc.

Some Road Bikes top out at 2000 cc. I forget the name of which V Twin cruiser that is actually.

Imagine each piston on a V twin being 1000 cc. ?

I had a cruiser years ago and took my friends Suzuki GSXR 1200R out for a spin.

75 m.p.h. in second gear and tons of throttle left. I couldn't believe it.

And now that bike wouldn't touch the 185 m.p.h. stock (yes stock) Suzuki Hayabusa.

If the transom on a boat is big and strong enough someone will make a motor to max it out.

Maybe Aircraft Carriers and Submarines won't be the only nuclear powered things on the water.

Hookset.