Hep choosing new Reel

motv8tr

Hey all, I picked up a new Rod from Mark Kulik a couple of weeks ago and now I need a new Reel for it. It's a St. Croix 7' one piece, Med-Lite, fast action and good for 1/8 to 1/2 oz lures and 4-10lb fish (good luck to me catching one that big :P ) What is this best suited for and what Reel would you recommend?

I'm going to Bass Pro tomorrow....

Thanks

Maureen

The 4 to 10 lbs. is the line weight...

If you're comfortable with the price it's hard to beat a Shimano Stradic. I have the Stradic 1000 size reel on a rod like yours, but most people use the larger 2500 model. The Canadian Shimano headquarters is just down the road from me, so I tend to stick with their products for ease of service etc. but there are many other reels out there, just choose one you like.

Garry2R's

I'm with Garry2r, I love Shimano...lots of different size reels for the same models to suit your needs and easy to get extra spools. Stradic is a good reel, but coming from Europe i like the rear drag with fighting drag features that they have over there....take a look here under rear drag reels. I have my heart set on the GTM RB 2500, pricey will be around $C200 with postage but an awesome reel!

Maureen I have owned them all. From higher end expensive toys to low end stuff that only lasts 3-4 seasons of hard use. Personally I have found Diawa reels to last me the best. Dollar for dollar I think they make the best product. I used to get the higher priced stuff but found that it makes more sense for me to grab a $60-$80 ballpark priced reel and then just replace it every 7 years or so when I feel like treating myself to a new reel. As a matter of fact my latest Diawa was a $44 reel I picked up in Gagnon's in April. Spooled it up with 4LB line and did all my spring crappie and perch fishing with it. Really like it so far, but I have only had it for about 6 weeks so I can't say how it will stand up. It's up at the cottage right now or I would give you the model number. Good luck choosing a new reel Maureen....lotsa stuff to drool over before you decide.

Have fun with your new combo once you get it out on the water.

Casting or Spinning? Stradic you can not go wrong with for Spinning. For casting, well thats a whole different story. I have a Chronarc Mg and I love it but its very expensive. Have a look around and hopefully you can get some more input with the guys that buy them more frequently on OFC.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I appreciate it. I'm not sure if it's for spinning or bait casters? I tried to look at my other rods but who knows, I'm thinking it's a spinning reel I'm looking for :dunno:

As for budget, less is best right now, but I don't want to go so cheap that it won't last me a season.

Also anyone know what type of fishing this type of rod is best used for?

Thanks again

Maureen

Hey maureen does the eyelets on the rod start off at the base bigger than a quarter and get smaller as they go to the tip or are they start off small size of a dime and stay about the same size to the tip? If you can wait for Lak Air I have a few reels laying around that you can have that will fit it depending on what type of reel it needs.

Art

I'd recommend you take the model number with you and if basspro has one you can put some reels on it to see how it feels . I'd personally go with a 1000 or 1500 series reel since it is a light rod , or if it is a baitcast rod I'd go with a 100 series reel.

Hey maureen does the eyelets on the rod start off at the base bigger than a quarter and get smaller as they go to the tip or are they start off small size of a dime and stay about the same size to the tip? If you can wait for Lak Air I have a few reels laying around that you can have that will fit it depending on what type of reel it needs.

Art

Hey Art, the eye's start bigger than a quarter and get smaller as they go up to the tip, I'm guessing that's for a spinning reel based on my other rods and reels?

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Yep, it would be a spinning rod. Easiest way to tell the two apart in the future is by whether or not it has a trigger grip. All baitcast rods do. The trigger is just under half an inch long and shaped similar to a curved and pointed finger. It is located at the reel seat, and is placed between your own fingers when wrapped around a rod for fishing.)

Baitcast Rod (showing trigger grip)

14050.jpg

Spinning Rod (no trigger grip present)

81104b.jpg

As for the type of fishing it is best for, I would say walleye and bass. Will work well for light jigging and tossing small cranks and spinners. Bit light for working any heavy cover. Would also make a decent panfish rod if an ultralight model isn't at your disposal.

In terms of reels, like other have said, there are many to choose from. I just picked up a bunch of Quantum "Incyte" reels this spring. Really impressed with them. Go with the model "20" for the rod you have. They retail for about $50 U.S.

Another great reel is the Bass Pro Shops "Extreme". I've owned a few of these in the past, and they are extremely smooth, great drags, and comparable to many higher-end reels. They also retail for about $50 U.S. There are three sizes - go with the middle one to match up with your rod.

Happy Shopping,

Justin

I have a similar shimano clarus that I run a diawa laguna on. Its been a great reel so far. Should cost around $100 or so. Its in the hardbody series, so has an all metal body. Its been working good for 3 or 4 seasons now, and I also use it for icefishing as well. Very smooth, and a great drag.

Sinker

That rod would be best suited for casting for Bass and Wall-ice, but could be used for panfish as well. It's a little light for Pike in my opinion, but you may get a few with it.

As for the reel, I'd go with something like this in the SY2500FI model:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-2

Not to terribly expensive and should last a few seasons.

I'd spool it up with some 8 lb. mono.

That rod would be best suited for casting for Bass and Wall-ice, but could be used for panfish as well. It's a little light for Pike in my opinion, but you may get a few with it.

As for the reel, I'd go with something like this in the SY2500FI model:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0001000_100-1-2

Not to terribly expensive and should last a few seasons.

I'd spool it up with some 8 lb. mono.

Yup, I have one of those too. The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic on the bail arm.....where the roller is. I find the line cuts a groove in the plastic...then it will always run thru that groove.....fraying your line.

Other than that, its a great reel.

I caught one in rice lake one time......with a rod attached, and line.....which had a crappie on the end....LOL. Still works to this day.

Sinker

I cannot believe no one has said this.....

Look at the Pflueger President, approx $60 at BPS....the have a compbo special on now with an X-Treme Rod mated with the Pflueger President for $99.99

Consider the rod a great back up to your St.Croix