simcoe whitefish on friday

mikeh

I decided to give it another shot of trying for my first whitefish on friday morning, this was my third try. I put the anchor down at 7:00 in 64 feet of water beside some other boats and put on a meegs jig with a tube on the back and my other rod I put on a silver williams.

For the next two hours I watched as most of the boats around me were hooking fish, I noticed the ones using the williams were jigging aggressively lifting there rod about five feet in the air every 30 seconds or so and they seemed to hook the most fish.

After about two hours a guy pulls up beside me , drops anchor and within 1 minute he lands his first fish and 10 minutes later he has his second. I noticed he was using the meegs type lure with a dark colored tube , so I put on a dark color tube and started jigging. Well it was all about technique as within 10 minutes I landed my first ever whitie, 10 minutes later I landed my second which was hooked under the mouth so that one was released, altogether I landed 5 and lost a few.

The technique that worked best was to drop the bait on bottom and keep my line tight and lift it off bottom about 6 inches and drop it back down. I would lift it every 10-20 seconds and drop it back down. 4 out of 5 fish took the bait inside the mouth with just one snagged fish which I think is a very good hookup ratio. I used a baitcasting reel with 30 lb power pro and a 5 foot 8 pound fluoro leader.

After the whitie action I decided to go to Jacksons Point for some perch. The fish were there but not to interested in my bait so I called it a day and returned to Sibbalds PP boat launch.

I pulled up to the dock and the MNR showed up and asked for my fishing license and checked my fish. We talked for a couple of minutes he gave me his card and off he went.

Edited by mikeh

I noticed the ones using the williams were jigging aggressively lifting there rod about five feet in the air every 30 seconds or so and they seemed to hook the most fish.

:whistling::lol:

within 10 minutes I landed my first ever whitie, 10 minutes later I landed my second which was hooked under the mouth so that one was released, altogether I landed 5 and lost a few.

:Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I went out today and fished them hard for 3 hours and nothing. I don`t get it. I am starting to hate simcoe. It was so windy today. Managed only one small 3 pound pike and a dozen or so perch.

I need to go out with someone who knows how to catch these whitefish. I didn`t see anyone catch a fish today so I don`t feel that bad.

Edited by Cudz

....Congrats, I too was there yesterday (Friday) and can honestly say I was disgusted with the number of anglers intentionaly snagging. I mean most weren't even try to hook them legally, disgusting!

I did manage a couple on badboyz and a couple on a 1/2oz crippled herring.

Mike was that you on the dock with the MNR guy around 2:15?

....Well I'll be, that close and never got a chance to say hello. The guy fishing with me is also on the board, Fish Farmer. Next time we'll know your boat and yes it was a great day to be out there.

Hoping I'll be back out again next week.

Congrats on your first whitefish! Imagine they are quite tasty. :clapping:

Despite the snagging whities thread a few days ago i didn't know there was

a whitefish snagging culture (65 ft. down) in spring up there. My guess its been going on awhile.

Anyways congrats Mike,

ehg

Where are you guy's fishing! Just purchased my first boat and would like to get in on the whitees. I have a 15 ft sylvan with a 25 yamaha, I'm alittle worried about going too far out on the lake.

Scooter :unsure:

Pick your days on simcoe according to the weather.

Head north out of sutton and find the pack of boats.......t

....Well I'll be, that close and never got a chance to say hello. The guy fishing with me is also on the board, Fish Farmer. Next time we'll know your boat and yes it was a great day to be out there.

Hoping I'll be back out again next week.

Now if we all had our OFC stickers on the boat..... :rolleyes:

Thanks Sinker. Have heard of some bad stories out on Simcoe. How long would it take me from the launch to get there?

Thanks Scooter

We got them about a mile and a half out from Jacksons point. You can't miss the pack of boats. Depending how fast your going.....maybe 5-10min boat ride.

Green/black meegs/badboy type jigs were working better than the williams on saturday morning. Just a gentle lift off bottom......no need to reef it.

Sinker

I hear ya Speil.

I've seen boaters catching and releasing around a hundred and leaving with the two their legally allowed. Some are in expensive fancy boats and look like fishing pros/guides too. No offence but now catching whitees on the grounds is like shooting fish in a barrel. Calm weather is tough on Simcoe whitees due to all the c and r enthusiasts. Some park there all day long. Man, talk about post-release mortality. :angry:

When I go (not yet this year) we fish till we legally get thw two limit, then leave to troll for lakers. What really bugs me is that MNR doesn't/can't/won't do anything about it.

If able I may go up and video the bottom around there. Bet there's quite a few whitees laying dead on bottom the victims of anglers practicing their brand of 'conservation'.

Anyone going up there, please catch your two and leave the rest alone. We should all be thankful of such a great whitefish fishery. After your two go chase perch or lakers. Lotsa other things to catch there to have a full, enjoyable and somewhat challenging day afield.