Ethics Question

JohnF

So we worry about disturbing the Bass on their nests. Should we be as worried about the Carp at this time of year? I'd really like to get out and nail some of these big boys but I hate to mess with them in the middle of spawning. They're probably entitled to the same consideration as Bass, aren't they, or are they simply indestructable?

JF

Carp don't guard nests like bass do. They spawn quick and dirty in weeds and leave. They also don't have much of an urge to feed anyway while they're spawning. What you do end up hooking are ones who have already finished or have yet to spawn.

Edited by MJL

Go right ahead...but like MJL said, when they are spawning they generally are not feeding. The nature of carp fishing (ie. bottom fishing) means you wont accidentally snag one either.

When I see all that spawning activity, I pack up and leave.....LOL

Also have a quick question on carp spawning. I was out on the pier last sunday and it was a gloomy rainy day. But thier were huge carp jumping around everywhere like crazy and when night rolled around you can hear the big canon balls they were making. Were they maybe jsut jumping around because their was a storm aproaching? They were doing full leaps out of the water. I first I thought maybe they were feeding on flies but it was raining so their wasn't any.

Also have a quick question on carp spawning. I was out on the pier last sunday and it was a gloomy rainy day. But thier were huge carp jumping around everywhere like crazy and when night rolled around you can hear the big canon balls they were making. Were they maybe jsut jumping around because their was a storm aproaching? They were doing full leaps out of the water. I first I thought maybe they were feeding on flies but it was raining so their wasn't any.

Various theories of why they jump - Some I've heard in the past:

- Females jump prior to the spawn to loosen up the roe inside

- To aid in digestion - I often see them jumping right over where I groundbaited.

- To adjust pressure of their swim bladders

- To communicate to other carp over distances

- To remove parasites from their bodies

- For fun

I personally don't know why they jump.

Go right ahead...but like MJL said, when they are spawning they generally are not feeding. The nature of carp fishing (ie. bottom fishing) means you wont accidentally snag one either.

When I see all that spawning activity, I pack up and leave.....LOL

Cliff, don't be so hasty to leave. You can sometimes pick up the odd male who enjoys eating while getting it on...

This male took a few mouthfuls between spawning sessions...He got excited and left me a present on my landing net and shoes.

19800101_0005.jpg

YEah....I don't really leave....If I'm fishing a creek mouth I look for the water where it's moving...I find the ones out of the shallow areas and in the current are feeding....but shhhh....don't want to tell many people that....LOL.

Carp don't guard nests like bass do. They spawn quick and dirty in weeds and leave. They also don't have much of an urge to feed anyway while they're spawning.

Neither do trout..........and they're closed for the most part as well during spawning...........and I'm talkin brookies and lakers.......

Its all about havin a little respect.....no?

Neither do trout..........and they're closed for the most part as well during spawning...........and I'm talkin brookies and lakers.......

Its all about havin a little respect.....no?

Fair point. I’m guessing brookies and lakers are very much like steelhead and salmon who strike out of aggression when they’re actually in the act of digging redds, shooting eggs and fertilizing the eggs. Essentially, males are jockeying for position to fertilize the eggs solely with their milt. TBH I don’t know very much about the behaviour of brookies and lakers. In my experience, beyond the odd specimen, carp behave differently. I don’t fish for carp who are in the act of spawning. It’s pointless. They do not have an urge to feed nor do they display the same territorial aggression that spawning salmonoids show. If you observe them, it’s generally a group orgy of eggs and milt where all the males fertilize at once. The fish that do end up taking the bait are either pre-spawn or post-spawn who have made the choice to take the bait out of hunger. The fishing at this time is no where near as easy as other times of the year because the fish in the act of the spawn are not interested or aggravated by the presence of bait.

What does the law tell us?

- Carp have no closed seasons beyond geographical limitations (like the kawarthas which open last Sat of April and close sometime in November)

- Carp have bow hunting seasons during their spawn

- You can’t snag fish (even course fishing abides by rules)

My views – My Opinions

- I’m angling for a fish in season in a place open for angling

- I’m fishing a fair distance outside of the mass orgy for carp willing to take a bait through hunger...I do not cast or bait on or close to actively spawning fish.

- To me it’s not any different from fishing for pre-spawn steelhead in any of the year round sections of rivers – Which I along with many also do as well as fishing for dropbacks.

- Carp at the end of my line stand a better chance of survival than at the business end of a bow and arrow…Which again, is legal in areas across this province during part of the spawn

- If fishing anywhere near the spawning time is immoral (which looking at how hard the fishing is I can’t really see), where do we draw the line to when it is ethically right to fish? Carp have been observed spawning in different parts of Ontario from April to August.

You may have different morals and views than I

My $0.02 CAN

Edited by MJL

Cliff, don't be so hasty to leave. You can sometimes pick up the odd male who enjoys eating while getting it on...

This male took a few mouthfuls between spawning sessions...He got excited and left me a present on my landing net and shoes.

19800101_0005.jpg

Got Milt?

I don't think carp numbers are in any jeopardy from fishing them during the spawn. Since they spawn multiple times throughout their lifetime and lay billions of eggs, and have no real natural predators.

Trout and bass are more in danger from outside sources, like other species eating their eggs, being removed from beds too long or being stressed to the point of not having a successful spawn.

This happened to me as well, i guess it got too excited when i was trying to give it some love

IMG_3502b.jpg

My personal opinion it is part of the spawning activity, in the spring here they are jumping, some huge ones. When I had my cruiser docked at a marina they would hit the side of the boat at the dock. You don`t see them jump much after the spawn.

I wouldn`t worry about fishing for spawning carp, not much chance of ever diminishing their numbers.