What is your thought on

misfish

In my opinion there's a difference between foul hooked and snagged fish. Snagged is intentional, foul hooked is not.

DAWG,whats yer point? What do you do with the fish? Intentional or not. :Gonefishing:

WE NEED CLAIRIFACATION. :wallbash::wallbash:

I believe what Capt said is the best so far. If the CO is there,yer releasing it. :worthy::worthy:

Party fishing is another story.

Just so you know. The CO was standing over my shoulder as I bonked that whitie on the head and added it to my limit.......he told me it was "close enough".........I asked him first.

If its hooked in the side or the fin or the tail.......then sure....release it.

Close to the mouth......you make the call.......I keep the odd one.....so what?

Call the CO.....you won't get an answer anyways!! :wallbash:

Sinker

One that cares. Does that answer question??????????????

I think you have to and to that sentence....."one that cares" and is a glutton for punishment.

I would think that a lot of COs care but are not about to subject themselves to an onslaught of forum activity. Hence they keep quiet about their status.

Do you think that COs do not know about this and other fishing forums? Do you think that because they are not here to answer our questions, they do not care?

A silly argument, really.

forrest

ok

I believe only in the mouth counts

but

I have seen often with the multi hook spoons where the hook is clearly in the mouth, but as soon as it starts up the hole in the ice, it is ripped out of the mouth and catches somewhere else or falls out completely and you reach down the hole and grab the fish.....legal or not

ok

I believe only in the mouth counts

but

I have seen often with the multi hook spoons where the hook is clearly in the mouth, but as soon as it starts up the hole in the ice, it is ripped out of the mouth and catches somewhere else or falls out completely and you reach down the hole and grab the fish.....legal or not

OT

forrest

Do you think that COs do not know about this and other fishing forums? Do you think that because they are not here to answer our questions, they do not care?

No dought forrest, they are watching,big brother sorta speak.

Wouldnt it be great though, if there was a place to ask the CO and get a direct definitive answer to a question?????????

:w00t:

Ontario does have a strict description of a legally hooked fish.

Page 8 of the General Fishing Regulations under General Prohibitions item #5

It Is Illeagal to:

Catch a fish by impalling or snagging it with a hook through any part of the body other than the mouth - any fish hooked in this way must be released immediately.

Alabama Law has a more liberal description of a legally hooked fish which is any fish hooked in the head while using a baited hook or artificial lure.

I will say that most fish that are caught on the outside of the mouth are hooked that way because they have "T-boned" the bait or lure.

When I fish in Canada, I will obey their laws and use their definition of a legally hooked fish.

Thanks, I was looking for this paragraph, you saved me the troubles....

Anyone not clear on this??????????????

No dought forrest, they are watching,big brother sorta speak.

Wouldnt it be great though, if there was a place to ask the CO and get a direct definitive answer to a question?????????

If you asked a panel of 10 CO's, you'd get some different answers. The CO just enforces what he thinks is right.........

DAWG,whats yer point? What do you do with the fish? Intentional or not. :Gonefishing:

WE NEED CLAIRIFACATION. :wallbash::wallbash:

I believe what Capt said is the best so far. If the CO is there,yer releasing it. :worthy::worthy:

Someone that foul hooks a fish will more than likely release it, a snagger will keep all he can get.

Someone that foul hooks a fish will more than likely release it, a snagger will keep all he can get.

Oh you mean like the guys that fish with that 1-0 treble with a bit of pink yarn on it,trying to catch a spawing salmon in the rivers? LOL

Party fishing is another story.

Just so you know. The CO was standing over my shoulder as I bonked that whitie on the head and added it to my limit.......he told me it was "close enough".........I asked him first.

If its hooked in the side or the fin or the tail.......then sure....release it.

Close to the mouth......you make the call.......I keep the odd one.....so what?

Call the CO.....you won't get an answer anyways!! :wallbash:

Sinker

I can see the scene now club raised in hand:

sinker: "Am I good?"

co: "close enough"

fish: sigh....

sinker: with a big smile turns and whallops the poor little critter.

lol

Edited by forrest

People like us who care enought to sit here and debate the semantics of the regulations are most definitely not the problem.

What if a fish swallows the hook, it is hooked in the stomach, not the mouth. If you take the regulations by the word, this fish is illegal. If it is hooked through the gills from the inside, It is illegal. Good luck reviving it when you let it go.

You are not allowed to bow-fish after daylight. Who decides EXACTLY what time that is? You, the CO or the weather network?

This is trivial. You should know, in general what is wrong or right, and you act accordingly.

Now excuse me, I have to go and register my cloth, portable ice hut (with no floor) with the ministry because the base area is 21.51 square feet.

Cheers

Maybe I should of just asked

IF YOU WERE TO CATCH A WHITIE OTHER THEN IN THE MOUTH,WOULD YOU RELEASE IT?

Guess buddy was right,it just may get locked. :jerry::oops::wallbash::asshat: am I for caring.

Edited by misfish

You are not allowed to bow-fish after daylight. Who decides EXACTLY what time that is? You, the CO or the weather network?

This is based on sunrise/sunset as defined by Enviroment Canada, the info is free on theri website, the same applies for hunting regs.

What if a fish swallows the hook, it is hooked in the stomach, not the mouth. If you take the regulations by the word, this fish is illegal. If it is hooked through the gills from the inside, It is illegal. Good luck reviving it when you let it go.

Cheers

Okay, suppose the fish can digest at a real fast rate and can poop out the hook and attached line, is it then caught by the arse or through the mouth... :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: or, is the fish ultimately trolling with a line and bare hook? Inquisitive minds need to know, and some need a sign.. :whistling:

Too many people have their own opinions on this thats why it may get locked.

Some folk may get upset over that fish being kept even tho it was not hooked inside the mouth but to common brain its obvious that the fish went for the bait and maybe missed, never fished for whities so i dont really know.

Off the topic tho:

In the past few weeks i have seen people take pictures with fish that is out of season and under the picture it would state that the quick pick was taken and the fish was let go.

Not much if anything was said.

Today little girl was in the pic with her first bass and the next thing you know people started threatening each other :wallbash: .

Either there is double standard on this board or we really have sank to a new low.

Don't forget the regs we read are not the actual laws, but a SUMMARY as it says on the booklet itself.

It is a mash-up of provincial and federal laws.

They can, however, be used as a defense in court. Since they choose to use the wording 'by the mouth' one would assume that the inner mouth and lip areas would be fine. Especially when, as Dawg points out, walleye and bass like to use side attacks when they are especially agressive.

Just use common sense and always err on the side of caution. Stop looking for loop holes and just read the regs..both summary and full...if you want a better understanding of them all.

There are several CO's who come to this site on a regular basis. I've spoken to a few of them and they would never come out and say who they are cause of stuff like this...often the truth is the rules are so poorly written (as in the case of OOS pics) and so much ambiguity, that we are often left up to our OWN ETHICS to determine what we should do. They are, after all, our resources. Should we not be looking for ways to protect them and use sensible and fair harvest, not spend time arguing about where that exact line is between fair and foul hooked?

I've seen all kinds of browns and chinooks caught in the side of the head and if you watch video of the swiping at spoons you'll know why...their aim sucks. But, the hook being in the top of the noggin and not in the mouth...even though the fish intended to strike and was not purposefully foul hooked, does not make it a legit fish.

Off the topic tho:

In the past few weeks i have seen people take pictures with fish that is out of season and under the picture it would state that the quick pick was taken and the fish was let go.

Not much if anything was said.

Today little girl was in the pic with her first bass and the next thing you know people started threatening each other :wallbash: .

Either there is double standard on this board or we really have sank to a new low.

Our rules ask that you do not post out of season pics. No double standard at all. Bass are not out of season everywhere in the province right now. Lots of year round fishing for them.

I like the part about the rules in Alabannannas saying that if you catch the fish in the head its all good.In the fine state of Virginia I haven't heard of such a thing.Then again,we are allowed to shoot some species with a bow and arrow and or shotgun.

Joe