Nipissing Ice

Jer

I had a chat with Frank from Promised Land yesterday regarding our trip next weekend (12-14).

He says there is a solid 4" across the whole lake right now and he is optimistically confident that there will be enough (8" is what he would like to see) by late next week. He has already had to cancel for this weekend (as I'm sure most operators have).

Personally, I'm not so optimistic. The forecast calls for a steady stream of above freezing days and barely below at night.

I never would have thought to be concerned about ice for a mid-January trip to Nipissing...next year we might have to book for February.

Jer the nights have still been quite cold and lots of ice forming over nights...

It seems the weather reports ie: the temperatures, are never quite accurate.

It is always considerably colder at night than advertised on the weather reports.

I never understood this. If the weatherman says - 2, it usually is more like - 15 at night.

We are headed up the same weekend as you are Jer ,I cant see there being 8" of ice .We were talking to Frank last week and he told us the same thing (4") so if it didnt thicken up over the last week I cant believe with +9 temps and rain today and tommorrw there will be any ice :dunno: .I hope Iam wrong we had a great time last year, Frank runs a top notch outfit up there.We had 18" of ice on Jan 16 last year and the fishing was great.By the way does any one know how thick by law the ice has to be to put a hut on it?

Jamie :Gonefishing:

I do take responsabilty for my OWN actions its others I worrie about .I just didnt know if there were laws in place for outfitters to follow ,Im sure most out fitters wouldnt risk your life but is there at least a rule of thumb on how thick the ice should be?

I think if they have a shack at the fishing spot that is 16ft long and 8ft wide that needs to be pulled out by a large piece of machinery that it should be safe to be there. Not aware of any of the operators around here that would risk lives or machinery. I was thinking more of the individual that takes a risk. :)

ps...Frank is a class guy and would not take risks.

Edited by Nipissing

I got the dreaded call from Frank this morning...cancelled for next week. The ice just isn't gonna be safe enough.

Luckily, he was able to fit us in for the following weekend (Jan 19th) and there's gotta be ice by then...right.;

Took a drive out to Fish Bay this morning. This is what I seen. Was talking To Mark at Anglers Haven yesterday. He didnt think it will be much before the first of February before he would get out. Too much ice to launch a boat and not enough to walk on. These were taken at Wades Landing.

Picture_001.JPG

Picture_003.JPG

Picture_004.JPG

The long range is looking much better now anyway. Showing some minus temps coming up. My father who has ice fished since the early sixtys says it wont take long to thicken up if it ever gets cold. Maybe he's just telling me that to make me feel better about it all. I'm going stir crazy!!!! (no smilies to depict that) I think my wife wants me out of the house too.!! :lol: