Boat electrical

HTHM

I just bought a 24 v trolling motor and was surprised at the price of the batteries to run it......(Break Out Another Thousand).

Now the thought that I had was to get three bus bars and have two power leads going out from the positive terminal to two seperate bus bars and have one common bus bar going back to the negative terminal on the battery. (Much the same as a house panel setup). By doing this I hope to generate 24 volts going to the trolling motor and have double the amount of 12 v connections avalible for fish-finder, lights etc.

Apart from the fact that I will have half the battery reserve capacity are there any issues that I have not thought of.

I do understand that this is NOT the best solution, however it is a temporary fix until I can afford the correct amount of batteries.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I'm no electrical whiz.......as a matter of fact, thats one area I'm really lacking. By the sounds of what you wrote there, I'd say no.

I don't think you can get enough amps to run a 24V motor, off one 12V battery. Something like that anyways.......

Sinker

Dude, the batteries should set you back 250 for a pair depending on what you want, I got the biggest deep cycles, Nautalus ones at Canadian tire 3 years ago for 250 for 2 batteries and there still perfect condition, very good price for the quality.

I'm not sure if you could do that but even if you did it would drain the single battery in no time specially with fish finder ect.. on it. I say wait untill you got another battery or 2. Here's the link for crappie tire there still 119 each and very good batteries.

CRAPPIE TIRE Batteries

|-----| |-----| |-----| + -

|______|_____|________| |

|_____________|

A simple little Diagram... of what I am seeing from your post.. I do not see you being able to generate 24 volts from this.. as you still have a 12v Lead coming off the battery You need to have multiple 12v sources to accomplish this.. I cannot think how you can turn a simple 12v source into 24v... if you are strapped for cash pickup a gently used car battery??? sure they are not meant to be discharge over and over.. but it might be a cheap solution??

How did mounting the quick release bracket work out?

G

I'm no electrical whiz.......as a matter of fact, thats one area I'm really lacking. By the sounds of what you wrote there, I'd say no.

I don't think you can get enough amps to run a 24V motor, off one 12V battery. Something like that anyways.......

Sinker

That's right I forgot about Ohm's law. DOH!

|-----| |-----| |-----| + -

|______|_____|________| |

|_____________|

A simple little Diagram... of what I am seeing from your post.. I do not see you being able to generate 24 volts from this.. as you still have a 12v Lead coming off the battery You need to have multiple 12v sources to accomplish this.. I cannot think how you can turn a simple 12v source into 24v... if you are strapped for cash pickup a gently used car battery??? sure they are not meant to be discharge over and over.. but it might be a cheap solution??

How did mounting the quick release bracket work out?

G

Thanks for doing the diagram, that was a good way to illustrate my idea.

As for the mounting plate........cash is not the only thing that a boat takes more of than one plans :wallbash::wallbash: .......Time is another. Getting the foam out is a huge PITA as I am determined to reinforce the bow. There is no overt flex now. and when I am done I want to be able to say the same thing. I have a 3/4 ply insert made now, just have to come up with a way to install it square and level so I can hang a storage compartment for ?????? after.

Thanks for the advice !

Have two batteries and use a battery switch,run off 12volts by turning to A or B and then 24 by turning to both A@B setting . A lot simpler

UMMM NO !

A/B/BOTH.. just means you have both batteries selected in PARALLEL and you get 12 Volts. If you got 24 out of it you'd fry every component in your boat.

Two IDENTICAL 12volt batteries HTH... hooked in series and you've got 24volts. If you want to use them for 12V accessories just take the positive off the same + you have going to the trolling motor and get your "Ground" from the joining strap connection between the two batteries for 12Volts.

Even the AGM batteries I bought the other day where only $259 a piece. Batteries for trolling motor only need to be wet cell deep cycles. $125 each give or take $30/per

Edited by irishfield

Two IDENTICAL 12volt batteries HTH... hooked in series and you've got 24volts. If you want to use them for 12V accessories just take the positive off the same + you have going to the trolling motor and get your "Ground" from the joining strap connection between the two batteries for 12Volts.

I am not boat/car battery person but from my recollection of alkaline batteries I remember that having two batteries of the same usage would be important too.

So does that mean it is a good idea to swap the batteries around in the banks every once in a while?

forrest

If you are going to draw off the joiner strap and one + post for 12Volt applications.. yes.. I would trade battery locations or the feed hook ups once thru each year to keep them on similar cycle counts. You can also use the negative terminal to the trolling motor and the strap between the two batteries for positive to get your 12volts...so which ever is easier... swap batteries.. or move where the leads attach a time or two thru the season.

It won't work and if it did your time on the water would be cut about in half.

You shouldn't need to spend that much. I have fiound that the very costly batteries last longer than the less costly ones but IMO not enough longer to make up for the added cost.

Down here in the states I buy Wal-Mart deep cycle marine batteries for about $90 each. The ones I have in the boat now are 4 years old and doing just fine. I expect to need replacements next year or the year after. I fish 6 to 8 hours at a time with only slight notice of power loss.

Keep the water level up and recharge as soon as possible after each use.

Would it be ok if he had two batteries tied in series just for his 24V motor and then get a third 12V battery for all the electronics on the board that needs 12V to run, instead of connecting and disconecting wiring all the time?

Would it be ok if he had two batteries tied in series just for his 24V motor and then get a third 12V battery for all the electronics on the board that needs 12V to run, instead of connecting and disconecting wiring all the time?

That is the best thing to do!