time for a new tent

rob v

I'm getting tired of lugging our old nylon tent with the aluminum poles that weighs about 50 lbs. It's time to look for something lighter, and easier to travel with. We won't be doing any extreme camping, just some spring/summer nites while travelling or fishing.

I know there's people on this board who know plenty about tents and I'm hoping you can share your recommendations.

I'm looking for something reasonably priced say $150-$200 +/-. Are any of the tents that crappy tire carry any good ?

Thanks.

If you are just car camping, the Canadian Tire stuff is pretty darn good. You get a nice sized tent that you can stand up in, won't run you more than $200, and not too heavy. (10lbs or so)

I have a larger one like that for "drive-in" camping, and a lighter, slightly smaller one for canoe trips where weight and space are issues. Just my $0.02...hope it helps.

I'm getting tired of lugging our old nylon tent with the aluminum poles that weighs about 50 lbs. It's time to look for something lighter, and easier to travel with. We won't be doing any extreme camping, just some spring/summer nites while travelling or fishing.

I know there's people on this board who know plenty about tents and I'm hoping you can share your recommendations.

I'm looking for something reasonably priced say $150-$200 +/-. Are any of the tents that crappy tire carry any good ?

Thanks.

Anything by Eureka in that price range would be a safe bet.

To me Eureka tents are like the Honda Civics of the tent world.

Not overly expensive and last forever.

I have a 15 year old 2 man Alpine Meadows tent made by Eureka that's been through the wringer and is still a great tent.

If you tell me how many people you're looking to accomodate I can recommend some specific models in your price range.

Yes - I'm really just looking for a drive in camping type tent.

Maximum 4 people - maybe 5 - but usually just two.

where does one buy a eureka tent ?

thanks again for your input.

There are so many brands now and prices have dropped like crazy over the last few years you can't really go wrong anymore. I picked up a new tent last spring and was stunned as to how cheap they were... If you buy at a Ctire or walmart, you can try it out and return it pretty much whenever you like. I picked up a low profile woods and am happy with that for cooler temps but a full size standup tent in the warm summer months is invaluable during rainy weather after seeing my friends setup. I'm keeping an eye out for those. Domes are much lighter, even the full standup versions.

mountain equipment co-op.i have the mec tarn 2 very light and portable will withstand a hurracaine its a 2man tent but is only good for one.not very spacious just solid quality great for canoeing,hiking or mountain climbing.had it for about 7yrs.the have larger tents they make good products but thier a little pricey.

Yes - I'm really just looking for a drive in camping type tent.

Maximum 4 people - maybe 5 - but usually just two.

where does one buy a eureka tent ?

thanks again for your input.

I'd take a close look at the Eureka Mountain Pass XTC Plus.

It's a 3 season dome tent with lots of space, a full coverage fly, and 2 doors each with their own vestibule, (that's a great feature).

Not sure where you might find one in your area, but Lebarons has the 4 man Mountain Pass for $230.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp08/campi...a_elcapitan.pdf

Cheers

I have been using a Coleman 4 man tent I purchased at Canadian Tire for about 7 years now, and will be using it again shortly. It works just fine in rather extreme conditions of wind and rain.

Make sure that the tent you get has a full fly that extends almost to the ground. Also, I could imagine sharing this tent with my wife, but things would be pretty cozy with a buddy. No way you could put four in that tent, unless you all rolled over at the same time.

The advice you received about Eureka tents is good - they are probably better than my Coleman. I paid about $150 for my Coleman.

Edited by douG

I also highly recommend anything from Eureka. I have the El Capitan 4 (really sleeps 3). Very light, very packable and great construction. You could spend more if you want, but are you really getting that much better performance for twice the price. I got mine at Tent City in Concord, Ont. I think Flaherty's carries them too.

Edited by lucabrasi

I just got this Coleman tent a couple weeks ago. I like alot of room in a tent as I'm usually gone about a week at a time and this one should work well for me.

It's 9 x 12 and over 7' high with 2 doors including a hinged one in front and 4 windows. There's a couple vents close to the ground plus a zippered opening to run an extension cord inside for lights or a heater.

I've used Coleman gear, including tents for many many years and they always make a quality product.

2000000148_500.jpg

It wasn't available in Canada but I ordered it from a place in New Jersey called Campmor and saved $70 on the price. It was shipped by the US post office for $12 and no duty.

www.campmor.com

I see now the sale is over though and the price has gone up $70 so I got it just in time.

mountain equipment co-op.i have the mec tarn 2 very light and portable will withstand a hurracaine its a 2man tent but is only good for one.not very spacious just solid quality great for canoeing,hiking or mountain climbing.had it for about 7yrs.the have larger tents they make good products but thier a little pricey.

Have to second this Lew, bought ares 6 years ago(got previous years colour for a reduced price, around $235.00) no problems. Ways less then 5lbs, no leaks no tears and we use it alot. Spent many a night in down pours with no wet bag in the morning.

You can't go wrong with either Eureka or Coleman in the cost efficiency/durability departments. Where you buy it will make a difference though. Make sure the dealer will take it back or replace it if you find anything wrong with it during the dry run in the yard.

I have 3 tents. The largest is a 10-man but I really don't know 9 men that I'd share a tent with. (10 man = 25 dwarves in metric.)

i've had a few "woods" for years, about 4 years back I bought a kitchen/screen tent, i don't remeber off hand the name but it has the "swiss army" logo, it's red black and grey, awesome quality product and if i'm ever in need of another tent i will be looking into their "sleepers"

I have 3 tents. The largest is a 10-man but I really don't know 9 men that I'd share a tent with. (10 man = 25 dwarves in metric.)

LOL Roy.

I come from the old school. I have a 25 year old Woods canvas tent that I just can't part with. I just feel more secure in a heavy canvas tent than I do in a nylon one. The smell alone tells me that I'm out doing what I like to do most. It's not light. Definitely not a back packers tent. I dread the day that it can no longer be used.

I have a Eureka $200

My buddy has a CTC special (escape I think)..$50 on sale

Mine is way more durable.

His is not a strong, sets up faster, lets him stand in it and he puts his queen inflatable in it. I swear it took him 10 minutes to be completely done.

forrest

DanC, soon comes the generation that doesn't know the experience of a canvas tent, I have some great memories too.

I still prefer my cheap coleman with full fly, small groundsheet underneath. Getting to like the smell of that tent, too. I think it is really an association thing, and that any tent will smell good after a while.

To recap, pick a size (suggest 4 man), a price point ($200 is fine), a full fly, and you will be pleased for many years with your choice.

Edited by douG

DanC, soon comes the generation that doesn't know the experience of a canvas tent, I have some great memories too.

I still prefer my cheap coleman with full fly, small groundsheet underneath. Getting to like the smell of that tent, too. I think it is really an association thing, and that any tent will smell good after a while.

I hear ya douG. To not have slept in and enjoyed the aroma of an old canvas tent is a shame.

check out ebay, i bought one a couple years ago and its great, check out the ones rated for rain, i got tired of getting a wet sleeping bag, got a heavy duty one for about 1/4 the price and love it.

jason

Anything by Eureka in that price range would be a safe bet.

To me Eureka tents are like the Honda Civics of the tent world.

Not overly expensive and last forever.

I have a 15 year old 2 man Alpine Meadows tent made by Eureka that's been through the wringer and is still a great tent.

If you tell me how many people you're looking to accomodate I can recommend some specific models in your price range.

I have a Eureka Alpenlite and it has done me good in rain and snow and in the summer. They make a great quality product and can be found in you're price range. Although more than you're CTC or Walmart tent you will get many years of good use out of it. Goodluck in you're quest!

At the superstore chain they would sometimes sell the terra brand tents 2 or 4 person models for like $29.99. I'm sure they are not the best but for the price and how many times your going to use you can't go wrong.