Slabtacular Day..first Ice Success!

tip-up

I will start by saying it feels great to back on the ice again...It was a real bummer not being able to get on the first week of December as we were used to in recent years :-\ Today was an awesome day with no wind and sunny conditions..I think the high was -2. Glad I had the chance to get out today as tonight the freezing rain will start and it's going to change into rain by tomorrow...Anthony and I had 5'' of ice under our feet :) Hope the rain does not kill it :-[

We arrived at our destination just as bite started to turn on..By then we were not the only ones down there..It was nice to see a few familiar faces I had not seen in a while :) .. Punched the first few holes of the season a immediatly started to mark fish 10 feet down in 19 feet of water..It was not hard to decide where we were going to set up base camp for the day :) Anthony and I were anxios to try out a few new toys we purchased over the long wait for ice, especially the new Marcum VS-250 Underwater veiwing system...Amazing little camera for the price..It did not disapoint us..Clear and very easy to use..Nothing better than watching slabs nail your bait all day long. We had too much fun with it :o

FirsticeoutingDec312006015.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006019.jpg

First crappie of the year was a beaut.Caught him on a Northland Forage minnow with a few waxies hooked in the arse..

FirsticeoutingDec312006002.jpg

We proceeded to catch a few a whole bunch of them ranging from 8''-10'' with a few small gills mixed in..

FirsticeoutingDec312006004.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006006.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006003.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006009.jpg

The bite slowed down a bit around 11am which gave us time to pound back some chocolate milk and a bag lays regular chips..It also gave us some time to downsize our baits and try slip bobberin'..I stared at a blank screen for a few minutes so I tried rapidly jigging a spoon to see if I could get the attention of a any fish, then switched to the smaller baits ti get 'em to bite..Of coarse, it worked ;D

FirsticeoutingDec312006017.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006013.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006005.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006008.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006014.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006012.jpg

By the end of the day we must have iced easily about 60 fish for the few hours we were down there...All fish were released because we had forgotten the kill bucket..besides it doesn't hurt to let em go once in a while :) Can't wait to get out in the new year and fish some waters I have been waiting to ice over for a while..I can see the walleye shaking' already.. :D Wednesday I hope to get back down to the crappie hole and nail a few eaters.. ;) Here are a few more pictures from today..

FirsticeoutingDec312006018.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006011.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006007.jpg

FirsticeoutingDec312006022.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read 8) Be careful and safe out there guys...All the best in the new year!!

-Andrew

Edited by tip-up

Fantastic report, glad to see I am not the only one posting ice fishing reports.

Too bad with the weather recently there are not more ice reports.

Tjsa, funny how I usually cringe when I here of weather on the way like in your avatar :( ..Now I am just praying for it :unsure: ..It has rained here over night which probably boosted the water levels, and also left a huge mess on top of the ice..Could be yet another two weeks before getting back on :angry: lol

-Andrew

Guest mistyriver1

Nice report tipup. I picked up a Clam 2000 hut on Boxing Day at BPS. My home made one was just too heavy and I had to take the 2nd and 3rd row of seats out of the van to load it.

How do you like that hut ??

ps. Nice report :thumbsup_anim:

Jim

Nice report tipup. I picked up a Clam 2000 hut on Boxing Day at BPS. My home made one was just too heavy and I had to take the 2nd and 3rd row of seats out of the van to load it.

How do you like that hut ??

Hey MistyRiver1 :D

I have used this style of hut for three years now and love it..The concept of it doubling as an equiptment sled is what really caught my eye...As you already know, there is enough room for ALL my gear including 6 ice rods, tackle, Mr.Buddy,vex,camera..with space to spare(Not much lol)