Thinking....

Gerritt

Getting tired of the constant noise and nosey neighbours (Kidding I have great neighbours) ..... but I need a change..

An Opportunity has fallen into my lap on a house that is not on the market... but the occupants need to relocate... I knew the current owners parents they have since past....

It is a gorgeous house with a detached 2 bay garage and an acre of land.... Backs onto a wood lot and behind that is a sod farm.

It brings me back where I grew up In the country... although it is becoming less and less country.... but it is certainly not the city..

I wont mention the price, but it is what I consider a steal.

It would be sold privately to us, and they personally came over and let us know that they are looking to relocate, They also know that we wanted back where we both grew up (Wife and I met in HighSchool) and we know this house having grew up there and being over for BBQ's etc...

But... I have never bought a home privately... Heck I bought my first house only 6 years ago..... (I am 32) While we would both like to keep the expenses down to complete a deal meaning no real estate agent.... is this wise to do as a buyer? How do you go about it?

I have already talked to my Mortgage Broker there is no issue in me getting the funds needed...

I am kinda lost though as to this whole private sale thing though..They would like to sell privately... I will still have my lawyer involved though to protect me legally...

has anyone sold or bought a house privately before? what was your experience?

We are seriously mulling this over, Now time to decide what to do here (in our current house) to make it sell.....

G

hey g having bought a few homes privately......its very easy.....just go to a good real estate lawyer and he will walk you thru it your mortgage company will not deal with anyone but a solicitor anyway.....all a listing agents does is advertise it on mls and charge a 6% fee.....(no disrespect to any agents) and then its all lawyers that do all the ground work....if your comfertable withthe price...then go for it......you said you have the financing in place....easy as pie....

congrads and good luck

peter

Edited by workwear

By al means Gerritt, go for it!

I bought one house this way, and also sold one this way to friends of the Family. As you already know, get a Real Estate Lawyer involved and save yourself the Real Estate fees on both ends. Best way to do it. No offense to anyone in the business, but our last transaction was with the an Agent and she did absolutely nothing to earn her fees! Still disgusts me how much She made off the deals.

Gerrit,

Selling our house in the Valley to friends, we decided to use an agent. Agreed on 3% as the commission that was reasonable.

Good thing is she dealt with all the uncomfortable businsess assocatiated with selling the house to a friend. Nobody is ever trying to rip someone off, however, fair is in the eye of the beholder sometimes. Seller and Buyer can sometimes use a mediator to help determine what fair is.

I found it to be indespensible.

Thanks for all the replies guys! and please keep them coming..

A lawyer will definetly be involved :)

Steve... these are not friends of ours... just people we know of and make nice too... I knew their parents more then I know them unfortunately...

Thanks again guys!

G

Some good advice above Gerritt. As you are obviously aware, you will need a lawyer to protect your interests throughout. The other family involved will no doubt do the same. I would also suggest a home inspection prior to buying. No need to feel like you are offending the sellers as they would most likely do the same thing before making such a big purchase.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out for you.

Heading back to Mount hope are ya????

Cheers

Craig

Gerritt, I've never bought or sold privately, but has other have stated (again no offense to any agents)

the last house I sold the sign went up Sunday evening the first showing was at 1pm the next day, two showing after 6 pm and it was sold at 10 pm, a total of 9 hours on the market; agents took 6% and I got just under the asking price.

Not a lot of work for what they made in lets say 20 hours of work. I may be wrong as I only saw what my agent had to prepare.

I may consider my next sale private so let us know the ins and outs after it's all over.

Sounds like a great place gook luck with it. On an acre I see a pond . . . :rolleyes:

Some good advice above Gerritt. As you are obviously aware, you will need a lawyer to protect your interests throughout. The other family involved will no doubt do the same. I would also suggest a home inspection prior to buying. No need to feel like you are offending the sellers as they would most likely do the same thing before making such a big purchase.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out for you.

Heading back to Mount hope are ya????

Cheers

Craig

Certainly entertaining the thought!

G

If your comin back 'ome, I say welcome. And Jimmy at the Flag will be happy too. (Sorry guys, inside joke)

Which sod farm, Vandewoude, Linde or Schidel's? All of em make great neighbours

Good luck and remember the country is a GREAT place to gow up!

Hi Gerret. Go for it Sold my last two places without an agent. No problem. Need a good realestate lawyer a home inspection and if built in the 70s watch for aluminium wiring. This is the biggie .Had lots of problems with this item. Check for sump pumps that run a lot .Big problem when the hydro goes out. Pond in the basement real fast.There are toys out there that will phone you if the hydro goes out or the water pump fails.Sorry to throw a a few cautions around . Best of luck on your decision. Steve. ps No boat yet but the 9.9 goes on my old tinny this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it will certainly come in handy as we progress. I will save this link for future reference.

Albert, when/if this goes through, Jimmy will be able to buy the new sports car he always wanted as I will be there! LOL.. Hamilton Sod ;)

I think the real estate lawyer I have used the past two times is the most expensive in the area Charles Macaluso (sp?)

I would certainly entertain the thought of using another lawyer if anyone has one they can suggest in the Hamilton area

G

If you can find a good lawyer look around for a flat fee and ask what paperwork goes where as they do charge you for alot of incidentals that could be done by you. Anywhere in the $600 - $900 flat fees for a straight buy and possible sale is a good price.

Look around but in total, you should expect to pay about 1200-1400 bucks for the lawyer and related fees.

Things to remember, is there a recent survey of the property?? If not, maybe try to work that into the deal. Also, a home inspection with you hovering over the inspector asking lots of questions should be a must. Depending on how old the house is, aluminum wiring, knob in tube, sump pumps, age of roofing, windows, plumbing, kitchen, washrooms etc... etc.... etc.....

Lots of factors involved.

Having been in sales for 11 years, I believe that the past few years, real estate agents have had it easy. Listings that sell in hours don't justify the fees that are charged, but, in sales, take it whenever you can get it.

Well things have hit a stumbling block.... After talking with my current mortgage company they are going to assess me an 8400.00 or 6mths @ 1400.00 early break penalty.... OUCH!!!!!

I dont understand it... so I cannot sell my house until my mortgage come up for renewal? I feel like this is extortion and my house is being held hostage...... and makes little sense to me.

I put in a call to my lawyer...

nothing is easy I suppose....

G

hey g isnt your mortgage transferable??.....doesnt the mortgage company realise that you will be getting a new mortgage with them??....althought this is very legal what they are doin.....becuase afterall you did agree to pay those fee's......but maybe you could try to talk to them....and they can wave those fee's if you still deal with em....

keep us posted

cheers

I have never bought a house but if you can't do what workwear said couldn't you just sell your house, pay it off with the money you get for selling it, then get a new mortgage on the new house? Like I said, I have no clue on what the rules are but it just seems logical.

Well things have hit a stumbling block.... After talking with my current mortgage company they are going to assess me an 8400.00 or 6mths @ 1400.00 early break penalty.... OUCH!!!!!

I dont understand it... so I cannot sell my house until my mortgage come up for renewal? I feel like this is extortion and my house is being held hostage...... and makes little sense to me.

I put in a call to my lawyer...

nothing is easy I suppose....

G

Man... I didn't think the Permanant was still in business. Remember it costing me a 3 month = $3100 penalty back in '85 when I sold my place in Milton...and why I never used a financial institute again.