Bait casters

Radnine

Baitcasters are better at some things than spinning reels, and, as luck would have it, they typically like different rods too (yahooooooo!).

Baitcasters work better dealing with heavy lures or in heavy cover, with heavy rods, while spinning gear is better at most other things. The jury is still out on trolling or downrigging.

the casting is simpler & lure control is amazing.

You want real fun..get a flyrod. :canadian:

I don't know if the casting is simpler... I have an old shimano beast master that I had in the basement for years. brought it out last year to give it a go and couldn't cast at all. I could have a 1oz sinker on the end of my line and I couldn't cast more than 20ft. However I just had it re-greased and cleaned so I'm hoping that will fix the problem.

If anyone knows anything about this real/how it should be set up for optimal casting please let me know so I can add another toy to my arsenal!

LowProfile/HighProFile..........???????????

Much depends on the line # and the lure you are using as well the intended target.

In my household..

Anything over 12lb test begets a baitcaster.

Again it all comes down to your application reason..the target..and choice of lure and..

fishing technique..........ie(trolling/downrigging/planerboard/flatlining/casting)

Others will give you more info to add to this..

Best of Luck.

bNb

Which species do you fish for Jim? And do you cast, troll, still fish? From boat? Shore?

Thanks everyone for the great responses. The links to articles were also very helpful.

Roy, I do mainly inland lake fishing, and for the most part in boats. I like to fish for Bass, Pike and Walleye. I drift, troll, cast and jig.

Maybe my question should have been “At what point do I need to buy a bait caster?” And if I am reading right the answer would be “when I start to try to haul bass out of heavy cover on a regular basis”.

Yes?

I only use baitcasters for big fish with teeth.

Everything else is spinning.

I can cast way more accurate with a spinning reel too. Most of my fishing is with 8lb test or lighter, so I stick mainly to a spinning set up. I do own a few baitcasters though......mostly for musky, and/or heavy jigging. I don't troll much, but if I do, its with the caster usually....

Sinker

I only use baitcasters for big fish with teeth.

Everything else is spinning.

I can cast way more accurate with a spinning reel too. Most of my fishing is with 8lb test or lighter, so I stick mainly to a spinning set up. I do own a few baitcasters though......mostly for musky, and/or heavy jigging. I don't troll much, but if I do, its with the caster usually....

Sinker

I can cast way more accurate with a spinning reel too.
... I know a fella that will debate that with you, but it isn't me!... I feel the same way about my spinning tackle.

... and I own baitcasters too, but I don't usually cast with them... except for my heavy Musky/Pike stuff. I use 7' baitcasting rods and round baicasting reels(Bass tackle) to drop-shot my Sabiki rigs... and I would rather troll with a baitcaster too.

Edited by Greencoachdog

buy one learn to cast and youll be sold.personally i hated them at first why mess around with something that can potentially screw up and backlash,when i can use a good ol spinnin setup and not have to worry.but once you figure them out they rock like the other guys say they handle bigger baits far better like half ounce spinner just feels so much better on a casting setup.they can manage heavier line better as well thus giving u more torque to haul em out of thier holes.spinning reels are better for finesse style light baits and lines dont limit yourself to one or the other expand your selection.

I don't know if the casting is simpler... I have an old shimano beast master that I had in the basement for years. brought it out last year to give it a go and couldn't cast at all. I could have a 1oz sinker on the end of my line and I couldn't cast more than 20ft. However I just had it re-greased and cleaned so I'm hoping that will fix the problem.

If anyone knows anything about this real/how it should be set up for optimal casting please let me know so I can add another toy to my arsenal!

Just my opinion with out seeing the reel you have the adjustment knob on the handle side too tight, the other side has magnetic cast control?( a dial ) your lure should fall at a slower pace when it is adjusted not to fast not too slow with out tangling the line on the spool.

I don`t think I have any Beastmasters? Like 2200 series? Most of mine are older, and decent reels, no problems casting a 1/4 ounce weight 100 feet or more. The grease can harden in older reels, usually much older than the BeastMaster, sometimes you have to soak them in a solvent to soften the grease and get it out. I usually use kerosene, not as harsh as some solvents, then hot soapy water, dry everything out or use an air gun. Over lubing will also cut casting distance, 1 drop of oil is enough for the bearings(hot sauce or such) a light weight grease on the gears and level wind assembly.

Reel is 20 years old or more? new line 10 to 20 pound test.

I don`t think I have any Beastmasters? Like 2200 series? Most of mine are older, and decent reels, no problems casting a 1/4 ounce weight 100 feet or more. The grease can harden in older reels, usually much older than the BeastMaster, sometimes you have to soak them in a solvent to soften the grease and get it out. I usually use kerosene, not as harsh as some solvents, then hot soapy water, dry everything out or use an air gun. Over lubing will also cut casting distance, 1 drop of oil is enough for the bearings(hot sauce or such) a light weight grease on the gears and level wind assembly.

Reel is 20 years old or more? new line 10 to 20 pound test.

Here are a few pictures of the reel I can't operate... There are lots of controls on it, a couple seem to do the same thing too me (the magnetic control and the knob on the other side both seem to determine spool tightness) Like I said I just got it cleaned and in a week or so will be able to get it on a rod and give it a try... if anyone can give me any tips to help with this reel it would be great!

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

Try this reel, once you adjust it to your specifics you will not have any backlashes. I find it just as easy to cast with and I find I am just as or even more accurate than my spinning reels. I also use Bait casters mostly for bigger fish and trolling, but I also use them for casting into weeds and stumps to catch what ever will bite.This reel will cast a long ways out, also you can set adjustments to allow you to flip 5 to 10 feet out without back lashes. Also you can use smaller lures with bait casters, you just need to use lighter, smaller diameter line. Bait casters don't have to have 80lb test on them.Some bait casters are made for smaller line .I now have 2 of these Shimano Calcutta TE DC bait casting reels and just ordered the 200 model. Just one catch, they are very expensive, but what isn't in fishing today if you want quality.

80748.jpg

I find that using a baitcast setup is just a lot more fun for me. I like the fact that I can reel up, pull the trigger and I am into another cast in a split second. With my spinning outfit, I need to open the bail, grab the line with my finger, etc etc. It's not a night and day difference, but I can rip off 5 casts with my baitcaster faster then I can with my spinning setup.

I also feel I have more control when I really wanna muscle a cast and get the lure out there with my baitcaster compared to my spinning outfit. I am also deadly accurate with my baitcaster.. It all depends on what I am fishing for though.. Vertical jigging or live bait fishing it's my spinning outfit for sure. Casting cranks and topwaters for bass/pike, it's my baitcast setup.. Hucking huge wood for muskie and big pike, baitcaster hands down...

When I first picked up my Shimano Citica 100DSV and spooled it with 8lb Sensation, I literally giggled when I made my first cast. It just went on and on, I couldn't believe the distance I got with this reel. I could easily outcast my oldman and his spinning setup. A little less distance with Spiderwire, but still not to shabby. I tried to get my dad into using the baitcaster with one of my older setups, but he just couldn't get the hang of it. I am going to pick up a one of the new Citica/BPS combo's they have on sale right now. I'll most likely give my dad my 100DSV and take the bigger 200DSV :)

Fresh water, looks like a two speed retrieve fighting drag, and possibly a flipping switch near the thumbar? Magnetic cast control doesn`t do anything to tighten the spool, just adjusts internal magnets to help prevent overruns. Knob on the right center adjusts play.

If you have the adjustment knob adjusted properly you don`t need the magnetic one too high. All of my older Shimanos have basically the same setup.

Don`t think I used any of mine for 1 ounce lures, had bigger heavier duty Abus for larger lures, but even them properly setup are fairly good at casting lighter lures.

Sort of rare for me to use anything over about 5/8 ounce down here.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference....but when throwing larger baits baitcasters are definitely helpful, or when your doing a lot of repetitive casting. I personally fish more for bass and I could not imagine burning a spinnerbait all day long with a spinning reel, my arm would be dead...but like I said this is just my personal opinion.

-Ben

Silly Rabbit , Spinning reels and "TRIXS" are for kids (and maybe drop shotting with light line, or Dawgs sabki (sp) rigs ). If you "THINK" you can cast with a spinning rod think about how much better you will be with a baitcaster , where you can stop a bait in mid flight and drop it right where you want , if you think you have a "smooth drag"thats controlable , think how much better and how much more control of a fish you will have with a drag you can adjust with your thumb pressure .Same thing with steelheading where the center pin gives you way more accuracy and way more drag control over a spinning reel, sure a spinning reel will work you can hammer a nail in with a brick if ya want but you dont see many carpenters carrying around bricks . Spinning reels are good for beginers , it gets you fishing with the least amout of effort and are good for special situations when you get into fishing more , but if you want to get better and stop relying on "LUCK"and instaed count on your skills, get the right tools .

Silly Rabbit , Spinning reels and "TRIXS" are for kids (and maybe drop shotting with light line, or Dawgs sabki (sp) rigs ). If you "THINK" you can cast with a spinning rod think about how much better you will be with a baitcaster , where you can stop a bait in mid flight and drop it right where you want , if you think you have a "smooth drag"thats controlable , think how much better and how much more control of a fish you will have with a drag you can adjust with your thumb pressure .Same thing with steelheading where the center pin gives you way more accuracy and way more drag control over a spinning reel, sure a spinning reel will work you can hammer a nail in with a brick if ya want but you dont see many carpenters carrying around bricks . Spinning reels are good for beginers , it gets you fishing with the least amout of effort and are good for special situations when you get into fishing more , but if you want to get better and stop relying on "LUCK"and instaed count on your skills, get the right tools .

Thanks goodness, a black and white answer. No possible grey. Drop shottin' is the only time a man would consider a spinning reel. Someone needs to tell the pro anglers out there, they just don't know what their doing.

So...that's my problem. I'm not using the right tools. I guess I should trade in my ultra-light gear (which has never seen more than 6lb. test line or 1/4 oz. jig) on a baitcaster set-up? Or maybe a center-pin.

I think I'll stick with my brick.