Bait casters

Radnine

So...that's my problem. I'm not using the right tools. I guess I should trade in my ultra-light gear (which has never seen more than 6lb. test line or 1/4 oz. jig) on a baitcaster set-up? Or maybe a center-pin.

I think I'll stick with my brick.

No, no, no. You only need a hammer. That's the only tool a carpenter needs. ;) And only one type of hammer at that.

Edited by kickingfrog

I find baitcasters more accurate, better fish control and overall superior to spinning for every thing except very light lures (below 1/8 oz and 8# test).

The disadvantage is it takes a lot of practice to be really proficient. I have used baitcasters for a lot of year and still haven't found a reel I can't backlash but it is worth an occasional snarl.

lol kickingfrog I did say they had there uses ,most of them are special like ultralight etc.I do own 5or 6 spinning reels just hardly ever use them . And I did say you can hammer a nail with a brick,Im an enginneer and I still cant get my head around how you design and build a skyscrapper or any building for that matter without a computer, but I thinK (and who am I ,never said I know all) that for most bass fishing situations a bait caster will get my bait where I want it and get the fish to the boat the best , If im drifting a trib a center pin is the way to go ,if the flies are hatching on a stream and im after a trout dinner a Fly rod and reel would be my first choice , it makes fishing so much eaiser and more fun for me when Im useing the correct tools for the job at hand . This does not mean that ya cant have fun and catch fish with a cane pole if ya want or saw a board with a hack saw lol and I am not saying you cant get good at it , Im just lazy and trying to get a spinning reel to do what I want takes way way to much effort so I go with what is easyier.

O.K. here we go due to the laws of physics and engineering a bait caster is designed to be a more accurate casting reel. It has the ability to feather the line during the cast using friction on the reels spindle. Yes I know their are some amazing people out their that can finger the line on a spinner and think they are as good as a bait caster and to them I say good for you I am glad you are happy. I'm not going to debate that on this thread because it will only cause grief and hard feelings between reel owners. The time to use the bait caster is when you are casting to defined targets like stumps or tree lined shores. Any time you need to be able to slow the lure down and drop it on target without a lot of splashing. This is not the over head chunking style of casting this is the underhand cast that is a foot off the water till you feather it into the water with a ripple not a splash. The time to use the bait caster is when you are fighting a fish that needs a drag system that does not twist the line if you are trying to reel in the fish as it is pulling line. The time for a bait caster is when you are using braided line with heavier lures so you don't slice the finger when you cast and your finger is in contact with the line as you release it. All of these reasons are good but the best time to use a bait caster is when you feel more comfortable using it than you are with a spinner. I own a few spinners and allot of bait casters ... my brother owns allot of spinners and a few bait casters to date he catches just as many fish as I do if not more so I don't think its the type of reel you use that matters as how well you use what you are comfortable with. The best way to find out if you like to switch to a bait caster is to use one that a friends has that is of good quality. Buying a cheap one to see if you like it will almost guarantee that you will fail since it was poorly made to start with.

Art

Aye, Aye Captain. Agreed, the right tool for the right job is the best option. :thumbsup_anim: I just took your original post as too absolute. My uncle uses an ancient Mitchel reel, a glass rod, a june bug and a sinker that unsteadies the boat and yet he still brings in his share of walleye. :dunno:

Right now i have 2 top end spinning combos. (ya not much i know) Last year i bought a top end shimano baitcast combo(129.99) and for the life of me i couldnt get it to stop the backlash. I brought it back and got a new spinning combo. I did have a older baitcast reel, so i bought a cheap berkly casting rod to put with it. A random fisherman helped me out with the reel and showed me the small nob on the right hand side. I found out how to adjust it to the weight of the lure and i was better with the the combo.My question to go with all of this is if i bought a 6'6 medium action baitcast combo. What kind of line would i put on it. Braid or Mono. Im leaning towards the braid but i dont know what is better with the backlast.

Also What is the magnetic control for?

Wow i wrote a lot.

Thanks for whoever answers.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Yeah, I find mono (or flouro) a bit more forgiving than braid.

I fish spinning and baitcasting gear almost equally, and wouldn't give up either. Basically, if I'm fishing spinnerbaits, bass jigs, crankbaits starting around 3/8 oz, similar sized topwaters, etc, I'm fishing a baitcaster. If I'm throwing around fallen timber, or thick vegetation, I'm fishing a baitcaster. Their strengths have already been discussed ad infinitum.