Cats using my yard and Gardens as a Litter Box -NF

Tinman

Hey guys, just picked up this years first "dumping" of cat crap from my front Garden. I'm sure it won't be long before they start back to my backyard again. Beside antifreeze that the neighbor keeps recommending, are there any other ways out ther from keeping the neighborhoods cats out of my yard? they seem to poop right in my kids playhouse. I am almost tempted to get a trap and turn in the cats to the humane society, but then the problem arises of "what if i catch a skunk?" So i need something that deters them from coming in my yard.

Thanks

Denis

We had the same problem with cats in our backyard garden. We tried lots of things, and nothing worked and then heard of planting rue. We put it all around the perimeter of the garden and it DRASTICALLY reduced the litter box problem. Any nursery will have it in stock...go early...the stuff grows fast.

Good luck.

buy a whole bunch of Cayenne ( not sure of the spelling) pepper at the bulk store and sprinkle it on the soil in your gardens. It will not hurt your plants but will keep the cats out... It works

i heard to get long rose stems with thorns. place them around your garden (a couple lines thick i imagine so they just won't jump over them) as soon as the cat realizes its little paw might get pricked it won't go in there. or pine cones probably due the same

also certain smells - lemon peels/citrus peels (but they have to be replaced)

-also heard coffee grounds..lavender, or motion detector sprinklers

i haven't tried these things as i've owned cats most of my life, but i understand not wanting to be afraid to put your hand into your garden and finding some poop. haha

just don't use those moth balls because they're toxic to kitties!

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/keeping-c...the-garden.html

i am a cat owner my slef, a responsible cat owner, i keep mine inside out of harms way. So i would never want to hurt others. but its the same ones time and time again. I'm not worriwd so much about me getting poop on me, more so my 5 and 2 year old. plus the bacteria it leaves behind

I am almost tempted to get a trap and turn in the cats to the humane society, but then the problem arises of "what if i catch a skunk?"

Thanks

Denis

I used the cages for a summer or two, I stopped after someone in the neighborhood smashed the cage. To avoid catching a skunk in it, just place it on something like a picnic table. Ccmt already mentioned the Rue and it did help but I think what has helped the most......if I see a cat in the yard, I let the dog out. Good luck!!

Came across this on a website: "We recently put a large garden wind chime in a tree, in a corner which was used constantly by scores of cats. Amazingly, we have not seen a single cat in our garden since. "

There are several cats running loose around our place but we haven't had any problems with them getting into our gardens, could be because we have a wind chime hanging near where our garden is, could be because we have a dog. I have noticed there seem to be a few less lately but Sue and I saw a nice red fox out here yesterday and it was looking for something to eat....... Rabbit/cat, guess the fox wouldn't care, want to borrow our fox?

Skunk won't spray in a trap... go for it !

im guessing this was meant as a funny but for those who dont know...

if you happen to catch a skunk just make a little bit of noise to get its attention so you dont startle it and it knows you are coming. hold a blanket in front of you and slowly lay the blanket over the cage and you should be fine. ive caught 4 or 5 skunks over the years and havent been sprayed yet and i walked each of them about 4-5 blocks away to release them.

Edited by ch312

(irishfield @ Apr 15 2008, 10:54 PM)

Skunk won't spray in a trap... go for it !

Quote CH312

im guessing this was meant as a funny but for those who dont know...

if you happen to catch a skunk just make a little bit of noise to get its attention so you dont startle it and it knows you are coming. hold a blanket in front of you and slowly lay the blanket over the cage and you should be fine. ive caught 4 or 5 skunks over the years and havent been sprayed yet and i walked each of them about 4-5 blocks away to release them.

No it wasn't a funny.. .and you've described the exact same thing (not getting sprayed when they're in a trap). They won't spray in a confined area. A buddy of mine has moved dozens from his back yard, in a trap, over the years. I'm too lazy for that and just use lead poisoning myself....

Edited by irishfield

No it wasn't a funny.. .and you've described the exact same thing (not getting sprayed when they're in a trap). They won't spray in a confined area. A buddy of mine has moved dozens from his back yard, in a trap, over the years. I'm too lazy for that and just use lead poisoning myself....

actually, they can and will spray in a trap. my grandfather has been sprayed a couple times by skunks he caught with a large live trap rated for coons to bobcats and he actually puked after getting a direct hit to the chest. says his vision was blurred for 10 minutes or so.

a couple that i released sprayed before i went in the yard to take them away and ive also heard some funny stories from people over the years so yes, they will spray in a trap.

maybe the majority wont, but saying they wont spray in a trap is untrue.

We used to have trouble with cats in my garage bay. Then I discovered the panic button on my car remote. :devil:

Whatever you put in the backyard, your kids are going to get into. Cayenne is definitely effective, but I wouldn't sprinkle it around toddlers. They'll eventually get it on their hands, then wipe their eyes or pick their noses. Ouch.

I'm voting for a trap and the Humane Society. Either the cats will be put down properly, or their owners will smarten up when it costs them $$.

Whether or not skunks may spray in a trap, the only one I've seen bounce 3' in the air is Pepe le Pew. You should be safe putting the trap on the picnic table.

Good luck!

I dont know about in a trap , but my wife has a black and white cat , it never goes outside , one night last summer I was hanging up some wet towels on the clothes line and I saw what I thought was the cat on the pourch stairs , not wanting the cat to get out and suffering the wrath of the wife for not closeing the door behind me with one hand on the wet towels I manged to reach out and snatch up the "cat"before it could get down the stairs. got it almost face high when I relized it was not the cat but a small skunk and the spray got me mostly in the face , not atall fun

actually, they can and will spray in a trap. my grandfather has been sprayed a couple times by skunks he caught with a large live trap rated for coons to bobcats and he actually puked after getting a direct hit to the chest. says his vision was blurred for 10 minutes or so.

a couple that i released sprayed before i went in the yard to take them away and ive also heard some funny stories from people over the years so yes, they will spray in a trap.

maybe the majority wont, but saying they wont spray in a trap is untrue.

I agree and have been witness to a couple skunks who have sprayed while in a trap before the blanket covered it. Watch for the warning signs....skunks are polite critters, they will give you a couple of warnings before spraying (pouncing, pounding their feet, raising their back and tail etc.)

I'm voting for a trap and the Humane Society. Either the cats will be put down properly, or their owners will smarten up when it costs them $$.

If that doesn't work and you know the owner, deposit the unwanted gifts (minus the plastic wrap of course) in their mailbox.

I have not read all the posts here but I will say YES catch them and bring them in this will help your neighbors learn that they need to take better care of the cats at 450 or so to get their cat back I think they will get the point and you dont have to let them know who you are I do and give them my license for ID. One thing to remember is you have to be able to get the cat to the SPCE with in 2 to 4 hours depending on the rules where you live so that it is not considered cruelty to the cats. (Yes, it is not cruel for them to crap in your kids play area) :blahblah1:

I know how people get rid of the strays out of town but in town this is the best way to save your arse from getting a trip to court.